Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2005 XLR VS. 2006 XLR

beaver_jd

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V
I have a 2006 XLR and am looking at an 05 XLR. Was the 06 a much better vehicle by getting a lot of the bugs out etc. or is the 05 a pretty comparable vehicle when it come to mechanical issues.
John F.

I think some of the parts for the '05's are different from '06 & later - power steering reservoir comes to mind as well as the radiator, & I know from looking at the top components in the "bucket" in the trunk that they seem to be different than later years (at least wiring-wise). I don't know if you can upgrade all the parts that are different, but since some parts are hard to find for '06 & later, that's just going to be worse for '04-'05.

Also, '04-'05 (& some '06's) are subject to the "melting DRL" problem, but if you start keeping your headlights on before any damage is done that prevents problems.

I personally would stick with '06 & later, BUT there are plenty of people on here with '05's who are doing fine with them.

2005/06 XLR

To XLRating, I asked the question about the 2005 vs. the 2006 as I have found a black 05 with 16,000 miles on it and it is a sharp looking car.
John F.

I think some of the parts for the '05's are different from '06 & later - power steering reservoir comes to mind as well as the radiator, & I know from looking at the top components in the "bucket" in the trunk that they seem to be different than later years (at least wiring-wise). I don't know if you can upgrade all the parts that are different, but since some parts are hard to find for '06 & later, that's just going to be worse for '04-'05.

Also, '04-'05 (& some '06's) are subject to the "melting DRL" problem, but if you start keeping your headlights on before any damage is done that prevents problems.

I personally would stick with '06 & later, BUT there are plenty of people on here with '05's who are doing fine with them.

Since I replaced the fogs with LED's, I try to remember to turn them on during the day to save both headlight and DRL

To XLRating, I asked the question about the 2005 vs. the 2006 as I have found a black 05 with 16,000 miles on it and it is a sharp looking car.
John F.

Hi John I have an 05 with 94k an the most 2 things that are now fixed on mine was some oil leaks on NStar 4.6 motor and rear end gears in mine was chattering with sharp turn to right or left, then up dated them with new type of clutch plates. Thank goodness my aftermarket warranty covered them repairs almost 100% one other thing I can think of is the heat rising up in the center console from the H pipe, I read that they fixed that issue some how on the 06's and up! Hope this helps and if you have other questions hit me up.
Thx Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no problems with our '05,,,,knock on wood.....

The previous, original owner had changed out both headlight units (Thank God) before we purchased the car, and outside of a 'stuck' CD in the player making it useless.....we've had no problems what-so-ever. Driving during mostly daylight hours, we always turn-off the automatic headlights ..... never been a fan of DRL regardless of safety claims :(

Heat from exhaust pipes

I have read a couple of posts where owners of 04-05 cars have added a plate above the H pipes to shield the heat from coming up through the consol. Apparently this problem was resolved in 06. Is this issue a must repair for 05 cars on just in some cases.
John F.

I have read a couple of posts where owners of 04-05 cars have added a plate above the H pipes to shield the heat from coming up through the console. Apparently this problem was resolved in 06. Is this issue a must repair for 05 cars on just in some cases.
John F.

Hi John we own an 05 also just chatting about this with CNC he made his own but said they could be purchased here. He actually installed his from the rear of the H pipe without removing it. Here was the place he posted that had them for sale. Go on line and buy one here. Corvette Tunnel Plate 1/4" Thick Aluminum Ceramic

They make them for the Corvette and at the time when I called them they assured me emphatically that it would work on The XLR. They have various ones and thicknesses available, or at least they used to. Very very reputable seller.

Hope this helps still never did anything with mine yet!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom