Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2006 Headlamps

First Robin

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Platinum/Ebony,2011DTS,Platinum Edition White Diamond.
Just ordered new headlamps under premium care warranty as the lenz on both right and left have numerous cracks. We think possibly the cause is due to the high temp of the lamps and then the extreme cold of our winter weather when the car is turned off. I was really surprised to see the cracks as they were not there before winter.

That jut means you're out enjoying your car in all kinds of weather! Many of us have had the same issue. I'm glad your dealer has taken care of it without putting up a fuss.

You are absoulutely correct, I have been able to be out and about all winter enjoying "Little Bugger". The head of Red Noland Collision Center called the headlamps to my attention and thought my insurance would cover them. I said not the warranty will cover it. I stopped in at Red Noland Dealership, visited with the GM and told him about it, he said to get Mike, the Service Manager and talk to him. Mike looked at them, said I will have Buddy, ( my Service Writer) order new ones and that is all there was to it. I just hope they have them in stock at the Parts Center or can get them from the manufacturer.

Glad your dealer is getting you new lights. I'm noticing the passanger side headlamp upper lense is turning yellow and has small bubbles in the plastic like it is burning. I thought this problem was cured before the 2006 MY. I wonder if the dealer will replace the headlamp for this problem?

Glad your dealer is getting you new lights. I'm noticing the passanger side headlamp upper lense is turning yellow and has small bubbles in the plastic like it is burning. I thought this problem was cured before the 2006 MY. I wonder if the dealer will replace the headlamp for this problem?

Get it in while you are still under warranty. Six of my thirteen Cadillacs were purchased from Red Noland Cadillac and they have serviced my vehicles for 35 years so they treat me real good, as they should. I drop in for coffee often and one of the owners takes me to lunch. The Collision Center mgr., also takes me to lunch. I always encourage prospective customers to purchase what ever they are looking at so they do like me a lot. The owner tells me I am family and I know he doesn't tell many of their clients that. It pays to be on good repour with your dealer.

That's why as soon as I start the motor I kill the DRL's, besides the fact they look awful lit up.
Bruce

I'm with you Bruce--never cared for the DRL's. I turn mine off as well. Sometimes I run with the foglights instead.

That's why as soon as I start the motor I kill the DRL's, besides the fact they look awful lit up.
Bruce

Turning the fog lamps on turns the DRLs off.

I replaced the bulbs in mine with LED bulbs. They run a LOT cooler.

Rich,

When you replaced your DRL bulbs with LED's, did you have to put in some kind of resistor for the Turn Signal function? Most LED's I found would say they are not for DRL's. I would like to put LED's in mine as well (I like the crisp on/off that LED's have). Let me know. Thanks.

how do you turn off the DRL's

Dave,

You can just turn your AUTO lamp setting on your signal control to off (pushing the middle ring forward). That would turn off your DRL's, but then your headlamps would not come on (but you would get a message, I believe, indicating HEADLAMPS RECOMMENDED).

Rich,

When you replaced your DRL bulbs with LED's, did you have to put in some kind of resistor for the Turn Signal function? Most LED's I found would say they are not for DRL's. I would like to put LED's in mine as well (I like the crisp on/off that LED's have). Let me know. Thanks.

Yes, I did have to install a resistor to avoid the super-fast blinking. The blinking is controlled by the BCM, so there was no other way around it.

Yes, I did have to install a resistor to avoid the super-fast blinking. The blinking is controlled by the BCM, so there was no other way around it.

Thanks Rich. Maybe we can discuss on the Spring '10 Drive this month.

Not only is "Little Bugger" getting new headlamps, he is also getting a new windshield, new paint job on the entire front end, bumper, fenders, hood, windshield pillars, mirrors, new trim on hood lip,new grill, new fog lamps and if they can get them, new covers over the radar for the ACC. I wound up in a bad windstorm and got sandblasted. The winds were blowing at 60 mph. He goes in for all this on Tuesday morning so when you see him in May he should look brand new again. Price, around $5,000.00, fortunatly insurance covers it all after my deductible of $500.00.

Dave,

You can just turn your AUTO lamp setting on your signal control to off (pushing the middle ring forward). That would turn off your DRL's, but then your headlamps would not come on (but you would get a message, I believe, indicating HEADLAMPS RECOMMENDED).
Yeah, I just rotate the lamp switch. If the message "headlights recommended" comes on just hit reset.
Like I said, you have to do it every time you start the car though.
Bruce

Not only is "Little Bugger" getting new headlamps, he is also getting a new windshield, new paint job on the entire front end, bumper, fenders, hood, windshield pillars, mirrors, new trim on hood lip,new grill, new fog lamps and if they can get them, new covers over the radar for the ACC. I wound up in a bad windstorm and got sandblasted. The winds were blowing at 60 mph. He goes in for all this on Tuesday morning so when you see him in May he should look brand new again. Price, around $5,000.00, fortunatly insurance covers it all after my deductible of $500.00.

That's quite a bit of work! The "Little Bugger" sure will look like new!!

My windshield has the tell-tale chips of the mileage she has on her. That's why I try to lead on the highway and not follow! ;)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom