Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

A 'Goo on the carpet' query

xlrlist01

Seasoned Member
I have never had this happen before.

On Tuesday, I noticed a curious tar like mark on an old bit of carpet (not in my XLR). I didn't have the time to investigate properly, but it was a tar like substance, on touching it, it left a black gooey smear, was about 4" long, 1/2" wide and appeared to have melted or dissolved the carpet.

I have noticed very small amounts of black fluffy stuff in the trunk of my XLR.

I looked more closely today at the black goo in the carpet and discovered that it had set hard, the carpet hadn't melted or dissolved, but pressure had pushed the carpet down and this black stuff had sort of set and created a dent as a result. I was able to pull the stuff off leaving barely a mark. (The carpet is old and doesn't matter at all.)

This was when I remembered that I had put the divider out of the trunk compartment down on end on that part of the carpet, putting it back in my XLR on Monday. It was there for two-three days, propped up on one end. The thing that has to be in place to operate the roof.

The goo is the black binding material that finishes the edge of the divider. It is falling apart and for the most part seems to be dissolving into nothing, it is just melting away without a trace, or very small amounts of fluff, far less than the amount missing from the edge of the divider.

It would seem that the heat coming into the trunk is melting whatever that binding/finishing material is and it is evaporating. Where I propped divider end up on a carpet, it seemed the extra pressure caused the thread to turn into tar, which has since just pulled off the carpet with hardly a trace, just lumps of hardish tar-like goo.

Has anyone else seen anything like it?

Only seen the cone-shaped trunk bumpers melt into a tar-like goo. Sounds like the same in appearance. Nice to know there might be other sources for that goo in the future. :(

Hi,there is a foam type insulation around the dash air vents that comes out at times when the blower it on high.same condition,black gooey,melted. in my car it ends up on floor or seats.pickup the pieces VERY EASY or they will smudge/stick to everything.don't try to rub it w/cloth it'll only smear and is very hard to get out of the carpet,real nasty.maybe they used the same manf. for all these rubber type products:dunno::dunno:

I had the same problem. It's what they used in production. I think there is a thread on here Every time I had mine serviced they put that foam in. The next time I have it serviced I'm not having that put in. It gets all over the area and it gets on your clothes. Then when it blows in and someone sits on the contaminated area. Then it is harder to get off because it's already rubbed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back