Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

a little fun

airmike

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 black raven xlr-v
Tomorrow I am going to take my xlr-v out to play. So far I know of a roadrunner, 07 shelby mustang (claimed 650 rwhp), and a new shelby mustang. I fully expect to be leading all of them for 1/8 of a mile, and then am curious how long for them to run me down. I am curious if anyone else feels their v is great off the line? I can't possibly compete with these cars with slicks but with street tires I think a little fun is to be had, knowing that mustangs are notoriously hard to get started.

Tomorrow I am going to take my xlr-v out to play. So far I know of a roadrunner, 07 shelby mustang (claimed 650 rwhp), and a new shelby mustang. I fully expect to be leading all of them for 1/8 of a mile, and then am curious how long for them to run me down. I am curious if anyone else feels their v is great off the line? I can't possibly compete with these cars with slicks but with street tires I think a little fun is to be had, knowing that mustangs are notoriously hard to get started.

I try not to launch hard from a standing start. I've been told several times if I do and get wheelhop, I may not be able to pedal it before the rear-end shatters.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back from playtime. I stated from the first time we decided to get together I didn't want to race the cobra with slicks and he said ok, so whats he got on when I get there? exactly! Oh well I drove 40 miles for this so I'm not going back without some fun. Of course he outruns me. I guess he didn't want a decent race, he just wanted to win. I knew ahead of time I had to get several car lengths ahead and then see how long for him to catch me. He caught me by 80-85 mph, and I could only get maybe 1 1/2 car lead on the best run, half a car on the worst. He probably beat me by 5 cars.
The roadrunner. Slicks again, nitrous too. Unknown engine etc..He beats me off the line! Ha I ran him down the first race. two other runs he stayed ahead half a car.
Then a dodge srt10 pickup showed up. Finally someone with no slicks. It wasn't even a race, I win by 8-10 more? car lengths.

So for the day I had a great time even though they decided to disregard the agreement. I have also confirmed what I believe, that I can probably beat a stock shelby on original equipment tires. Oh yeah the 2013 shelby was out of town.

I have also confirmed what I believe, that I can probably beat a stock shelby on original equipment tires. Oh yeah the 2013 shelby was out of town.

Probably the reason they came with slicks, they were afraid... VERY afraid!!:blinzel:

V Happy

Probably the reason they came with slicks, they were afraid... VERY afraid!!:blinzel:

GizmoO
What is with the wheel hop? I have never heard that about these cars. I have a stock 2006 V and have brought it out hard on many surfaces and so far no problems. Does anyone else have a opinion on there rears?
V Happy

GizmoO
What is with the wheel hop? I have never heard that about these cars. I have a stock 2006 V and have brought it out hard on many surfaces and so far no problems. Does anyone else have a opinion on there rears?
V Happy

I have never had wheel hop, but then my car almost never spins the tires from dead stop. T/C off, performance mode, normal mode doesn't matter, just doesn't spin. It is more apt to spin from 20-30 mph, and then its not lighting them up unless on slick black top. Gizmo has more hp to the wheels than we have at the crank :blinzel:

GizmoO
V Happy
I've only had wheel hop once with track tires on a well prepped drag strip - scared the crap out of me. I instinctively shifted into neutral and didn't break anything. Since then, I run Michelin Sport Cups for LSR and launch slow. Never really a problem on street tires cause I don't race on the street and never show off from a dig.

Do a search on any of the Corvette Forums, the C5 and early C6 rear differentials have very thin cases. A couple tuners and a few racers (drag and track day) have told me my HP/TQ upgrades increase the likelihood of grenading the rear end. ELWOOD's tuner told me point blank, "with the race tune you should get two or three good drag runs (1.5-1.7 60 ft) before it shatters like a porcelain vase!" Some quotes I found:

Just like GM. Add 50 hp to their car and save $10.00 by using a thin wall differential case. Yes, the cases are crap. GM actually realized this right before the 05's hit the market. Their idea of a fix was called "Torque Management". This was a last minute software fix that reduced the fuel and iginition maps to kill horsepower on manual cars in 1st and 2nd gear. Not sure if the automatic cars had TM or not?
Anyway, as the pinion gear attempts to turn the ring gear, it also tries to push it to the outside. The case will not withstand this, especially if the car is also wheel hopping. I've seen 2005 cars that looked like a bomb exploded the differential, and in worse case senerios, the differential can also pull the tranny output shaft with it. GM fixed this issue by installing a better design differential beginning in model year 2006, however, even these can fail.

dead hooking the tires (zero spin) at a decent launch rpm (>2500) either on a prepped drag strip or the street will put serious stress on the rear end. TM on the C6 and C6Z is intended in part to reduce the impact of that. I've always tried to avoid dead hooking; and have seen quite a few cars break while doing that.

Also from a Corvette Forum:
05DiffEPICFAIL.jpg

V Happy

I've only had wheel hop once with track tires on a well prepped drag strip - scared the crap out of me. I instinctively shifted into neutral and didn't break anything. Since then, I run Michelin Sport Cups for LSR and launch slow. Never really a problem on street tires cause I don't race on the street and never show off from a dig.

Do a search on any of the Corvette Forums, the C5 and early C6 rear differentials have very thin cases. A couple tuners and a few racers (drag and track day) have told me my HP/TQ upgrades increase the likelihood of grenading the rear end. ELWOOD's tuner told me point blank, "with the race tune you should get two or three good drag runs (1.5-1.7 60 ft) before it shatters like a porcelain vase!" Some quotes I found:

Also from a Corvette Forum:
05DiffEPICFAIL.jpg

GizmoQ ,AirMike
Thanks for the info. I have never been cautious with this rear. From the info sent I sort of got the impression GM improver this rear in 06? Air what kind of tires are you running? Did you know to truly take the tracktion control completely off you must hold the off button down for a prescribed time. I will be a little more cautious from here on out.
Thanks
V Happy

OEM Pirelli run flats

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry