Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Aftermarket warranty

Stella

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004xlr
Stopped at the local caddy dealer and talked to them about any warranty options I might have for my 04 - 8,000mi. They said that GM doesn't warranty anything after 8yrs. I asked are their any options for me and he said that allstate has warranty packages and he took my name and said he'd call later. My mother is a state farm agent she's never heard of state farm or allstate or any insurance comp. Doing that? Of course the caddy guy hasn't called" probably just gave me a line of crap to get me out of there". Does anyone have a aftermarket warranty that is worth anything. I would like to get something that covers everything that the GM warranty would top and all. Any help would b great thanks.

that makes two of us that would like to find out about this one

I was under the impression (don't know if right or wrong) that you could extend GM warranty if you don't let it run out. So if you keep updating your extended warranty before it expires, maybe you can go further than the 8 years.
Seems like some folks at dealerships don't make the effort to get complete answers.
Now, I would really like to know the facts on this and what the real story is as I'm looking to buy one of these cars and have an interest in an extended warranty.
Help a newbie out

I do not believe GM will warranty any vehicle beyond 6 years. At least that is what I was told by the local Cadillac dealer. I am pretty sure of that because of the GM reorg a couple of years ago.

When I bought my 04 last Nov I was offered an extended 'Warranty' from Warrantech Automotive, Inc by the dealership. I was quoted a price of $4300 plus an additional $300 if I wanted lost key replacement. The warranty period was for 36 months. I told the dealer I had found a similar coverage on the internet for $2900 including key replacement and it was for 48 months (true but I do not remember the company). After a quick phone call I was offered a contract including key replacement for $2850 and it was 54 months long. Seems these extended warranty contracts have a great deal of flexibility in pricing.

The extended Warranty covers all systems of the car, including Leaks and Gaskets, and most importantly the convertible top. There is a $100 deductible per covered incident even if multiple items are repaired.

That sounds about right...

I just check out something similar from WarrentiesDirect...I ran it at 5 years and 75k additional mileage, (06' V with 28k mileage) and was quoted $9k. The cost for the 3 yr plan was around $4k. (I think there is a premium on the V)

My CPO goes until May 6th....so I will be making some type of decision by then. Would be interested in hear more about others experiences.

I bought my '06 V from Carmax a year ago... had it transferred from a Maryland dealership to Birmingham, Alabama where I picked it up. The original warranty had expired while on the Maryland lot in January, 2011, and it was a one-owner vehicle with 23,333 miles.

I knew I wanted to acquire a GMPP if at all possible, but also was aware of the stipulations GM placed on acquiring it before the original warranty expired. Therefore, I drove off the lot with one of their Maxcare policies (72 mo./75k odometer miles) for a little over $1500.

Fortunately for me, the car had less than 24k and had a clean history. It turned out that I located a dealer who would sell a GMPP due to it meeting the above criteria. I signed up for a 48 mo./40k additonal mile policy for around $2900. The deductibles for both policies are $50.

I debated dropping the Maxcare policy and getting the refund, but in the end decided to keep it for the additonal two years of coverage. The Carmax folks stressed that the retractible top would be covered by their policy, but I didn't want to take that chance after reading about how non-GMPP versions tended to exclude it.

I'm still getting mail and emails from warranty companies included in my initial search for options, so there are definitely policies available out there. I do consider myself lucky to have acquired the GM policy, but really believe it is at least partially due to acquiring it so close to the original's expiration date, and of course, the clean service history.

Good luck in your search! By the way and for what it is worth: my experience with Carmax was excellent. They sprang for almost $1300 worth of wheel straightening/polishing and alignment work within the first month of ownership (we had determined that it needed alignment work during the test drive).

With that carmax (maxcare) warranty was it through carmax or a third party. Do u know what that third company name is? Where did u bring your car for the work "carmax"? Would really feel good knowing the car was under some warranty. Any info would b appreciated thanks.

Most of these extended warranties sold by used car dealers, including Carmax, are underwritten by third party affiliates. Mine is covered by the representative handling the state of Florida.

I haven't had to engage the warranty policy to date (knock, knock)... the early work was done during the 30 day Carmax purchase warranty.

I was under the impression (don't know if right or wrong) that you could extend GM warranty if you don't let it run out. So if you keep updating your extended warranty before it expires, maybe you can go further than the 8 years.
Seems like some folks at dealerships don't make the effort to get complete answers.
Now, I would really like to know the facts on this and what the real story is as I'm looking to buy one of these cars and have an interest in an extended warranty.
Help a newbie out

Steve I refi. my 05 XLR last June with PenFed Credit Union (you must join as a member and start a $5.00 acct.) I got a 2.99 interest rate (I think it's 2.49 now) on refi's and they offered a Bumper to Bumper from a company called Route 66 Ext Warranty for up to 100,000 miles or a 5 years which ever comes first for $1,800.00 they will not cover any regular maintenance things or tires, wiper blades,shocks, oils, fluids ect... and the do not cover to diagnose what is broke or to find the problem. If interested and want more info. contact me at dlgouker@comcast.net and let me know I'll be happy to get that info to you. I just used it for my 05 and they covered most of the bill except for diagnostic and not the coolant fluid and labor charges to figure out the problems. :wave:
Caddyman Dan

Steve I refi. my 05 XLR last June with PenFed Credit Union (you must join as a member and start a $5.00 acct.) I got a 2.99 interest rate (I think it's 2.49 now) on refi's and they offered a Bumper to Bumper from a company called Route 66 Ext Warranty for up to 100,000 miles or a 5 years which ever comes first for $1,800.00 they will not cover any regular maintenance things or tires, wiper blades,shocks, oils, fluids ect... and the do not cover to diagnose what is broke or to find the problem. If interested and want more info. contact me at dlgouker@comcast.net and let me know I'll be happy to get that info to you. I just used it for my 05 and they covered most of the bill except for diagnostic and not the coolant fluid and labor charges to figure out the problems. :wave:
Caddyman Dan
I followed up on a Route 66 extended warranty with my local (ENT) credit union. They quoted me $2,223 for a 5-year/100K mile package. They did not offer any protection for most of the electronics on the car, except for the engine control unit. No nav' system, no stereo, no security system, no HUD, ... just the basics, and even THEN they won't cover belts/hoses, etc. There is no deductible, on the policy they quoted me, and they did NOT exclude diagnostic costs.

FWIW

Tim

Thanks for all the responses got me to do some of my own investigating. Went to another caddy dealer they quoted me 48 months for 4,600 thought that was steep. I believe grand daddy said they went through their credit union so I tried the same (numark). She quoted me 72 months 90,000mi. for 1,400. She said that's their premium care package which covers everything. Only qualifications is b a member and the car can't b more than 10 yrs. old. I told her I'll b in mon. to check out coverage and sign up. She also said their was a 100 deductible for that price. For a 50 dollar deduct it was like 1,500 and a zero deduct was like 1,600. If everything is what she said what a deal. I like my credit union more and more.:):):)

Thanks for all the responses got me to do some of my own investigating. Went to another caddy dealer they quoted me 48 months for 4,600 thought that was steep. I believe grand daddy said they went through their credit union so I tried the same (numark). She quoted me 72 months 90,000mi. for 1,400. She said that's their premium care package which covers everything. Only qualifications is b a member and the car can't b more than 10 yrs. old. I told her I'll b in mon. to check out coverage and sign up. She also said their was a 100 deductible for that price. For a 50 dollar deduct it was like 1,500 and a zero deduct was like 1,600. If everything is what she said what a deal. I like my credit union more and more.:):):)

Hope the coverage is as they say - sounds like a really good deal. Keep us posted. For a couple hundred bucks, I'd go with the $0 deductible (two trips to the shop pays that off). :rocker:

that is a deal

I've been gettting between 4,500 to 5,500 for 4 years depending on the company. Heck for that, I'll take my chances.
I'll have to check into that credit union thing, I don't belong to one of them as yet and that might be a good idea.
Thanks for your info

Okay finally got back with the credit union and it's called members choice protection has three levels of coverage. I got a quote for the premium pack for 1,670 -72 mon./90,000. Everything sounds great on brochure everything major is covered I did see the suspension like shocks were not covered. But for the money I would think you recoupe your initial pretty quick. It says everything is backed by Cuna mutual group? My question is on the bottom their is fine print and legal stuff says underwritten and one of the companies on there is automotive warranty services of America Inc. I googled and wow 100's of people's horror stories . Not paying claims, not refunding money when clearly stated,always coming up with something. While researching found this company is the big guy and has many companies under him. All the third party warranties the dealers try selling like carmax and so on get funneled through to a couple companies.so after everything I read I called the credit union the next day. The girl which has always been very nice talked to me and I asked her you ever google these people and she was kind of clueless? I told her what I found and she said she has sold these policies for along time and never had a dissatisfied cust. She talked with her supv. And she said the same. I'm kind of at a stand still. I know that I could probably recoup my money soon how you guy's make it sound but I don't want to get denied let's say a trans. because the adjuster says my aftermarket mufflers void the warranty or my cai. I would really appreciate anybody that has done so or a couple of you have mentioned you purchased your car from carmax and info?
:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Stella... paragraphs are your friend ; )

What r u a English teacher. I didn't know I was getting graded.:pat::pat:

good info, anyone else have info on any of this

I won't check my spelling or grammar:)
That is exactly what I'm worried about with this aftermarket warranty stuff.
It might be worth $750 a year for complete coverage (flip of the coin), but more than that I've got to think your better off keeping up with good maintenance and crossing your fingers.
We all know cars have gotten much more reliable over the years, but on the other hand I'll bet the hydraulic pump for the top runs close to a grand or so (no labor) and it looks to me like it would be a real job to replace it, plus those cylinders have got to have some type of sensors or sequence valves so things stay in proper sequence that could get pretty darn pricy to trouble shoot and fix.
I just got the service department "CD" (ebay for 12 bucks), does not give good information on servicing this unit so I figure I'd have to spend the 200 or more for the hard copy paper version to figure this one out and fix it if required.
Any input for other XLR folks would sure be appreciated as I'm sure we are all interested in this topic.

Steve I'm under the impression that when these car's have exhausted their warranty through the original owners they just go buy another one. That's why every year you see a lot of the later years come up for sale. I personally hold on to my toys and don't get hosed all the time. Like I said even if they refuse or pay for some of the repairs I'm sure it will add up to the initial. These cars are packed very tight you have to take this out to take that off,or the body yes the body to do engine work. I also got a cd repair manual it does tell you steps to do procedures but it's not a diagnostic manual. I forgot the name of the printing company that prints all the manuals even dealer's but there out of Seattle Washington they sell the manual for 139. It's a short name sorry forgot.

Yes you are right thanks for reminding me about the name. Unless the company moved in the last two months or they have multiple locations cause I called them to verify what I needed? Yes it is helm though.

extended warranty update

I've still been looking.
Got a quote from Joe Yates 877-466-9166 for 5 year 60k miles for my 2006 XLR (currentlyl has 8,500 miles on it) for $2,600.00 even.
Backed by Fidelity and it's called Platium Coverage.
I have yet to see a copy of the policy but (they talk real fast) it said convertible top motor was covered, but I see where they don't cover back up sensors or cruise control with the radar.
Anyone had any experience from this company?
I know, lots of these outfits are pure junk and the warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on, so buyer beware. I'm trying to beware.
Sure would appreciate any input from you "pros" out there.
Thanks in advance.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back