Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Another Aftermarket Radio Install: Kenwood DDX9704S

mbrund

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Maroon XLR - SOLD
Kenwood DDX9704S In-Dash DVD Receiver Install

I installed a new Kenwood DDX9704S In-Dash DVD Receiver with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto head unit in the XLR today.

Parts List:
Kenwood DDX9704S In-Dash DVD Receiver with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
Metra 40-GM10 Antenna Adapter
Axxess GMOS-06 (Stock Radio to Aftermarket Radio Wiring Interface)
SiriusXM SXV300

Install time: 4 hours

Start by pulling the XLR negative battery cable. Next reove the center console and waterfall. Then remove the factory radio and CD stacker. Remove the factory brackets from the radio and then set the radio and CD to the side. Open the Kenwood package and remove the wiring harness and install manual. Open and remove the Axxess GMOS-06 from its package and begin to solder and use shrinkwrap on each connection.

Soldered the Kenwood (K) 12V ACC to GMOS-06 (G) Red ACC wire, (K) 12V BATT to (G) Yellow BATT wire, (K) Black GND to (G) Black (GND), (K) Blue/White P.CONT to (G) Blue/White amp turn-on, (K) Light Green PRK SW to (G) Light Green parking brake, (K) Purple/White REVERSE to (G) Green/Purple reverse, (K) Orange/White ILLUMI to (G) Orange/White illumination (this does not appear to work), (K) Blue ANT CONT to (G) Blue power antenna.

Note: If you want to be able to reinstall the factory radio in the future you will need to make short jumpers for the next step and seperate the wiring sheath from the conductor and solder the jumper wires in place. Otherwise you can just cut the wire from the harness and solder them together.

You will need to jumper the low audio pass-throughs on the CD 2 (20 pin) connector: Jumper pin CD 2 - pin 4 (left front low level) to pin 6 (left front low level), Jumper pin CD 2 - pin 5 (rigjt front low level) to pin 7 (right front low level), CD 2 - pin 14 (left front low level (-)) to pin pin 16 (left front low level (-)), CD 2 - pin 15 (right front low level (-))to pin 18 (right front low level (-)).

You will need to jumper the OnStar voice from the Radio C2 (5 pin) connector to the Radio C1 (32 pin) Connector: C1 pin F12 (radio voice prompt low ref.) to C2 Pin 1 (Voice recognition audio signal (OnStar)), and C1 pin F13 (radio voice prompt signal) to C2 pin 2 (voice recoginition audio low ref. (OnStar)).

Attached the harness to the Kenwood and attached the four RCA connections from the GMOS-06 to the Kenwood front and rear inputs. Install the Metra Antenna Adapter to the XLR FM Antenna connection and the other end to the Kenwood. The Kenwood has a GPS input for the built in compass and clock feature, I was able to use the XLR stock GPS antenna connection for this since it has the same connector (it appears to work fine). Plug the GMOS-06 32-pin connector to the XLR stock radio (32 pin) harness. I next plugged the SiruisXM receiver to the dedicated Kenwood port. I had to use the stock XM Antenna wart at this time; it has a magnetic base which I attached it to the center channel speaker and then routed the wire between the upper dash panel and the waterfall side panel. In the future I'm going to see if I can route the XLR Digital radio antenna input from behind the console storage location to the new XM Radio. Next plug the microphone into the 3.5mm plug and route the cable to your mic location; I placed mine on the steering wheel column for the moment (I figured this would be the best place when the top is up or down).

Reattached the XLR negative battery harness and then selected accessory mode on the dash ignition switch. Power on the Kenwood head unit and enjoy your handy work if it was all done correcly. I was able to play a Audio CD as well as an MP3 CD. I played local FM Stations (I don't have any HD Radio locally, so I will have to wait till I go to San Antionio to find an HD Radio signal). I was able to play DVD movie (Avengers), I was able to transfer my XLR XM to the new receiver and play XM channels. I then played Pandora through the stock Kenwood Pandora interface. I linked my bluetooth phone and was able to transfer my phonebook, take and make a call. I then hooked the phone to the USB interface and initlized the Android Auto interface; I was able to use Waze, Google Maps, play iHeartRadio, Pandora, take and receive a phone call, and see other Google Android Auto apps that I have not yet tried.

All in all everthing works as expected, but the Kenwood Android Auto interfaces has some quirks and bugs that my Pioneer MVH-2300NEX does not have issues with.

I still need to make filler plates, and install the other pieces which I will cover in separate messages.

I will post pictures in a follow up....

I took the car out for a drive. Wow, I really HATE the Kenwood..... The touch screen is a joke. The sun washes it out and you cant see anything regardless what angle you place it at. I would suggest if you are looking for a new stereo head you look at something other than the Kenwood. The screen is so soft, I already have two large scratches in it as well. So I rate this stereo a 2 out of 5, and it only gets that because it has lots of features, but the screen takes it from a possible 5 to a 2.... I'm going to purchase an anti-glare screen protector, but at this price point I should not have to spend money on a hack to address the design flaw....

Last edited:
Axxess ASWC-1 - Steering Wheel Control

Axxess ASWC-1 - Steering Wheel Control

First off, I must state the ASWC-1 does not auto-map as it should and requires you to manually program the unit after installation and power on.

Parts List:
Axxess ASWC-1
Jumper Wire
Soldering Iron
Shrink tubing

Install time: 1 hour (due to manual programming)

Start by unpacking the ASWC-1. In some installs you will need the wiring harness as well as 3.5mm female wiring harness. In the case of the Kenwood install, the 3.5mm female wiring harness is required.

Note 1: Do not use scotch locks or other similar methods to splice into the wiring harness, doing so may cause erractic behavior since the steering wheel controls utilize resistive conacts to instruct the steering wheel controller what button you are pressing.

Note 2: If you have no concerns to return the car to original in the future, you can cut the wires on the XLR CD1 connector and solder directly to them. If you want to be able to return it factory in the future for some reason, then used a wire stripper to strip the wire sheath from the conductor and solder the wire to the harness and then use electrical tape or luquid tape to seal the connection

You will need to solder and tape/seal/heatshrink the ASWC-1 Yellow/Green wire to XLR CD 1 pin 11 (Steering Column Radion Control Signal). You will need to solder and tape/seal/heatshrink a jumper wire from the GMOS-06 - Red wire (accessory power) to XLR CD 1 pin 10 (Remote radio control head accessory supply voltage). Solder the 3.5mm female brown wire to the Kenwood Light Blue/Yellow wire marked Remote Control, tape up the brown/white wire it is not used.

Power on the XLR in accessory mode and make sure the stereo powers on. Use a small paper clip to press the reset button on the ASWC-1 for 2 seconds. The LED will start fast flashing red/green. At this point press and hold the Volume Up button on the steering wheel until the flashing stops and no LED is lit, release the Volume Button. If the unit was wired correctly, you should see the green LED flash fast once, then slow a second time (to indicate it is attached to the Yellow/Green wire), and then fast five more times. LEDs should turn off, and the Red LED should flash twice to indicate that it discovered a Kenwood head.

Leave the ACC power on, but power off the stereo. Next you will need to remove the ASWC-1 harness so as to remove power and then plug the harness back in. As soon as you install the harness, press and hold the Volume Up button on the steering wheel until the ASWC-1 LED goes solid, then release the Volume Up button (the vol up button is now programmed). Press and hold the Volume Down button until the LED goes solid and then release the button, Next press and hold the Channel Up button until the LED goes solid and release, then press and hold the Channel Down button until the LED goes solid and release, next press and hold the Source button until the LED goes solid and release. My OnStar does not work, so I press and held the OnStar button on the steering wheel next which maps it as a Mute button and released, if your OnStar still works just press the Volume Up button instead. Then press the Volume Up button until the LED comes on, then keep pressing and releasing the Volume Up button until the Green LED no longer comes on (this will be quite a few presses as it has to get to I believe 18 buttons total). You have now completed the button remapping and can turn the stereo back on and check that the buttons work as expected.

Last edited:
Auto Backup Camera, Mini Style Airysee AS205B License Plate Backup Camera 600TVL

I am saving this space for the pictures and install of the reverse camera.

Kenwood DRV-N520 Drive Recorder Dash cam

I am saving this space for the pictures and install of the Kenwood Dash Cam

Kenwood install.

Did your cruise control work after your install. I can not get mine to work. Do you have any help on this thanks

Did your cruise control work after your install. I can not get mine to work. Do you have any help on this thanks

My cruise works fine, as does my gap switch. Not sure what would cause the cruise to no longer work other than whatever controller you may have used that adds back steering wheel contols.

Which connection point on the original radio is for the SiriusXM OEM receiver?
The Kenwood has a round connector.

Which connection point on the original radio is for the SiriusXM OEM receiver?
The Kenwood has a round connector.

You ca'nt use the OEM receiver- you have to buy a new one... its like $40 or something.

I installed an aftermarket and went back to OEM like the look better so if anyone wants the full install kit metra face plug and play Pioneer DMH241EX Cost me $400 will sell for much less make me an offer!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom