Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Auto dimming headlamps

tyrone

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
06 red xlr
My 1955 62 series sedan has auto dimming head lights. My 1963 cadillac 2 door coupe also has auto dimming head lights . How`s that for progress.

My 1955 62 series sedan has auto dimming head lights. My 1963 cadillac 2 door coupe also has auto dimming head lights . How`s that for progress.

How about some pictures of the classics...

Not to be critical, but your two classics do not have HID headlamps. The HID headlamps do not actually dim, there is a shutter that blocks part of the light output on what you would consider the 'low beam'. When you switch it to 'high beam' mode, this shutter moves out of the way. When this car was first developed, there were many technology advances which many cars now have and they were never updated on the XLR's probably due mostly to the costs involved on a low production vehicle. Had they kept up with the advancements, the $100,000 V price tag would probably been in the $140,000 range.

Not to be critical, but your two classics do not have HID headlamps. The HID headlamps do not actually dim, there is a shutter that blocks part of the light output on what you would consider the 'low beam'. When you switch it to 'high beam' mode, this shutter moves out of the way. When this car was first developed, there were many technology advances which many cars now have and they were never updated on the XLR's probably due mostly to the costs involved on a low production vehicle. Had they kept up with the advancements, the $100,000 V price tag would probably been in the $140,000 range.

Cubby... he didn't say anything about HID headlamps. He said the headlamps were auto dimming.

My wife and I had 1954 and 1955 Cadillac Convertibles. Both were equipped with the dashboard mounted autronic eye which would sense oncoming headlights and dim the bright lights on our cars. That was quite a feature at that time.

Rod,

I was simply stating the difference between the lamps used and why there is no auto dimming. The standard sealed beam headlamp has two filiments in it which produce the low and high beam. HID headlamps are not built that way. There is an arc tube with gases in it to produce the light it does not dim or go brighter it is one level; hence the shutter system to decrease the light output.

Cubby... he didn't say anything about HID headlamps. He said the headlamps were auto dimming.

Rod,

I was simply stating the difference between the lamps used and why there is no auto dimming. The standard sealed beam headlamp has two filiments in it which produce the low and high beam. HID headlamps are not built that way. There is an arc tube with gases in it to produce the light it does not dim or go brighter it is one level; hence the shutter system to decrease the light output.

My mistake...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back