Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Back up camera anyone?

I am remiss for not bringing this up earlier. One of the CTS guys (Bojangle) on CF did a full install write-up on installing an OnStar mirror with rear view monitor (GNTX-657).

20120219_153107.jpg

Just more info.

Thanks Gizmo. Can you give a direction to the writeup? Maybe a link? Or where you just teasing me? :)

Not real sure how close an XLR mirror is to a CTS but it cold be figured out I think.

The weather here is in the 70s I have to go for a run as soon as my fever breaks :( fighting flu like stuff. BTW Bought the XLR is shipping me his old Parrot unit. I have to get my butt in gear and go from research phase to prototype phase soon. Hope to see ya soon.

Back up camera for XLR

I'm with graytoad on this... if you happen upon a classy, inconspicuous device that works with our vehicles... please clue us in. My ultrasound buttons are EXTREMELY sensitive... and I don't want to replace a rear "bumper" anytime soon ; )

I installed a backup camera in my 2005 XLR. Replaced factory mirror with monitor mirror and retained all functions of OEM mirror (OnStar, autodimming, etc.). Had to give up
the map lights in the mirror, but gained compass and temperature display in mirror in addition to back up camera. Works great. Love it. Wouldn't be without it.
I have detailed installation instructions with diagrams. File is 900KB and is too large to upload on this forum. E-mail me if you would like the instructions.

Tadi Brothers has a backup camera system using your existing screen and with a licence plate camera for $830 P/N 19949.
It's obvious to me who has commented and never used a backup camera.

To me, it's a lot like heated seats. I never did see the value until I had them. Now, I will never be without them.

No matter how they are adjusted, the side mirrors cannot see behind the vehicle. Cameras, with infrared, do help. Especially when backing in a dark area.

Bluetooth should be obvious. Not to mention that the navigation system on my phone is way better than what is in the car.

The things I'm trying to accomplish are not anything more than more than what would be available if the car were made today.

If you do not want to make any mods to your car and drive it box stock, fine. But please don't criticize those that prefer to do some tweaking. What is the point?

Tadi Brothers has a backup camera system using your existing screen and with a licence plate camera for $830 P/N 19949.

Cheaper to just replace the whole head unit and hook up a camera to that… with more benefits, too.

Cheaper to just replace the whole head unit and hook up a camera to that… with more benefits, too.
But that does not maintain the stock size, look or functions. There are always trade-offs.

But that does not maintain the stock size, look or functions. There are always trade-offs.

The only thing you really lose function-wise when doing it, if you do it right, is the radio info in the HUD. Looks different, I'll grant, but I'll take that in exchange for having usable nav, bluetooth, backup cam (if I wanted one), etc. I'm more about pragmatism than purity, though. Give me a perfectly restored 67 Mustang and I'll have the head unit out of there PDQ.

The only thing you really lose function-wise when doing it, if you do it right, is the radio info in the HUD. Looks different, I'll grant, but I'll take that in exchange for having usable nav, bluetooth, backup cam (if I wanted one), etc. I'm more about pragmatism than purity, though. Give me a perfectly restored 67 Mustang and I'll have the head unit out of there PDQ.

To each their own. IMHO the filler plates look like someone tried to fit in something that doesn't belong. Which is exactly what it is. I much prefer adding a bluetooth interface and using my phone for Nav and Music at a fraction of the cost and effort.

I have a 2005 and have been thinking about changing out the whole radio console with a newer one 2014 if I could find one from a Cadillac that would fit. Only have 35000 miles on it hate, to get rid of it

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I have a 2005 and have been thinking about changing out the whole radio console with a newer one 2014 if I could find one from a Cadillac that would fit. Only have 35000 miles on it hate, to get rid of it

There is way more to it than you may realize. I doubt seriously you will find a Cadillac head unit that will work.

I agree with you, but haven't given up yet.

Backup Camera NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

Yes, I do have experience with it. All Bad. Poor audio quality and echo. Not reliable. Not enough speaker volume. Poor tech support. It also drained my XLR-V battery 3 times by hanging in the on position requiring the unit to be unplugged and plugged back in.

YMMV
Has anyone had any experience with the NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE by NAV TOOL (CADILLAC XLR 2004-2009 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE)
I desperately need a backup camera

Has anyone had any experience with the NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE by NAV TOOL (CADILLAC XLR 2004-2009 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE)
I desperately need a backup camera

I just priced this item. On website it's $400 during December and you have to send it in for internal mods. I engaged in a chat with the sales dept and advised that total cost is $999 due to the modifications they have to make. I went Wow! 600$ in labor for the mod? And was told yes, it's a whole day on the bench doing the modification.
Said I'll pass. For that money I can get one of the Panasonic App Radios and have a whole new system with a b/u camera for about 500 more which includes labor.

Crazy............

Tadibrothers

Tadibrothers has a module that intergrates with your factory nav unit for $852.43 includes license plate camera. Not only is it more than twice as much as the one I had installed in my DTS, but you must send your nav unit in to Tadibrothers to have it modified. And that's the facts. Should you still want to pursue it, their phone number on Pacific Coast time is 866–966–5550.

Tadibrothers has a module that intergrates with your factory nav unit for $852.43 includes license plate camera. Not only is it more than twice as much as the one I had installed in my DTS, but you must send your nav unit in to Tadibrothers to have it modified. And that's the facts. Should you still want to pursue it, their phone number on Pacific Coast time is 866–966–5550.

Sounds like the same thing NavTool is doing. Not worth it in my opinion. You still have a 12-7 year old nav unit that is not software update-able

Sounds like the same thing NavTool is doing. Not worth it in my opinion. You still have a 12-7 year old nav unit that is not software update-able

And a lousy screen that you can't even see in bright daylight, much less with the top down.

FYI - You can increase both brightness & contrast on NAV AND set Auto for day vs night

I did it...they don't make it easy to find, but I am a (32 years retired) GM Service Parts Operations employee. I knew it had the capability.

I see this is an older thread, possibly because wifi cams that connect to your smart phone through an app are now common and cheap. I will very likely be installing one on my XLR-V in the immediate future. They are as cheap as $33 on ebay.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom