Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Baffle issue (Mild-to-Wild)

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
I've had a Mild-to-Wild unit installed for almost 3 years now. Recently the remote has failed to control the baffles, however the LED continues to illuminate when the button is pressed. I will change the battery and see what happens.

The curious thing is that when I crank the car now the baffles are always open. I can drive for several miles and at some point the baffles will close. Generally, upon restart after a stop engine, the baffles will be open again and the process continues as previously stated. For some reason this part doesn't sound like a battery issue to me, but perhaps so...

Just curious if anyone with the Mild-to-Wild system has had a similar issue ?? Thanks, as always!

I believe 'rleonard' and 'XLRIndyGuy' had this issue, but I can't remember what the correction was. Send an email or PM to Cadillac Tech, he may remember what was needed.

I've had a Mild-to-Wild unit installed for almost 3 years now. Recently the remote has failed to control the baffles, however the LED continues to illuminate when the button is pressed. I will change the battery and see what happens.

The curious thing is that when I crank the car now the baffles are always open. I can drive for several miles and at some point the baffles will close. Generally, upon restart after a stop engine, the baffles will be open again and the process continues as previously stated. For some reason this part doesn't sound like a battery issue to me, but perhaps so...

Just curious if anyone with the Mild-to-Wild system has had a similar issue ?? Thanks, as always!

I've had similar issues with my M2W when the battery voltage gets below a certain point. My resolution is: AFTER the battery gets charged up (I now have a battery tender), I unplug the M2W "brain" for ~30 seconds or so and plug it back in. I then reprogram it to my preferences and I'm good to go! YMMV.....

I'd email the manufacturer and ask them if a "reboot" doesn't work for you.

I've had similar issues with my M2W when the battery voltage gets below a certain point. My resolution is: AFTER the battery gets charged up (I now have a battery tender), I unplug the M2W "brain" for ~30 seconds or so and plug it back in. I then reprogram it to my preferences and I'm good to go! YMMV.....

I'd email the manufacturer and ask them if a "reboot" doesn't work for you.

Thanks, guys...

I've slept since install, but I don't recall having any "preferences"... simply on or off via the remote. Perhaps I should revisit the install process, and I have noted a couple of low battery incidents during the cold or during open door/trunk work sessions. This may have contributed to rendering the M2W askew from normal operation. I'll do the battery exchange and work my way through a dealer contact, as necessary. Appreciate the response... will post back when I nail it.

Thanks, guys...

I've slept since install, but I don't recall having any "preferences"... simply on or off via the remote. Perhaps I should revisit the install process, and I have noted a couple of low battery incidents during the cold or during open door/trunk work sessions. This may have contributed to rendering the M2W askew from normal operation. I'll do the battery exchange and work my way through a dealer contact, as necessary. Appreciate the response... will post back when I nail it.

Emailed the source yesterday (nakidparts.com) and received a reply: He recommended removing the M2W unit to see if that corrected the "baffles open at start" issue. Said if conditition persisted that I might have an air leak somewhere or some type of solenoid issue. If that were the case, wouldn't I be receiving some type of display notification / error message? :dunno:

I intend to revert to stock tomorrow and see what happens.

After reading this post, I now recall 'rleonard' had to replace the solenoid. He may see this and chime in. I talk with him often, so I'll mention it to him. Perhaps he can 'shed some light' on your issue.

Emailed the source yesterday (nakidparts.com) and received a reply: He recommended removing the M2W unit to see if that corrected the "baffles open at start" issue. Said if conditition persisted that I might have an air leak somewhere or some type of solenoid issue. If that were the case, wouldn't I be receiving some type of display notification / error message? :dunno:

I intend to revert to stock tomorrow and see what happens.

After reading this post, I now recall 'rleonard' had to replace the solenoid. He may see this and chime in. I talk with him often, so I'll mention it to him. Perhaps he can 'shed some light' on your issue.

I had a similar problem but I do not have mild to wild. I currently have 2 XLR-V and switched the solenoids as my vacuum and other components were working fine. Changed the solenoid and it works perfectly so replaced the faulty one. Was about $45 and is easy to change - no tools required! It is located behind the right rear wheel - follow the vacuum lines, disconnect them and the wiring connector and the solenoid can be removed by pushing the plastic tab and sliding off. Just make sure the vacuum is there and that the electrical module works first and that will likely solve your problem.

As a partial update...

My tech guy and I did some troubleshooting Saturday morning and it appears that my electronic control module has a bad relay. Both the solenoid and the M2W unit appear to be okay. We have the baffles closed now and that is where I want them until I desire otherwise (ie. click the M2W remote). I expect the "Module" to arrive early next week and will make the install... hopefully this will restore operation as designed.

Just an update... the new exhaust control module appears to have rectified the issue with my M2W. Now I'm back to where I can CHOOSE when I want to go wild ; ) As a side note... I checked several online sources and GM Wholesale Direct out of NC had the best price AND shipping cost.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom