Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

body panels

ald42

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
05 xlr satin nickle
Hi,could someone tell me what the various panels,doors,hood,trunk,fenders,roof are made of, composit? like on the saturn?no fiberglass like on the corvette?on the rear sides of the body it looks to have fenders not quarters which are part of the body? i know some parts are composit but what's the best description for composit? plastic? thanks

Hi,could someone tell me what the various panels,doors,hood,trunk,fenders,roof are made of, composit? like on the saturn?no fiberglass like on the corvette?on the rear sides of the body it looks to have fenders not quarters which are part of the body? i know some parts are composit but what's the best description for composit? plastic? thanks

Hood, doors, and trunk lid are fiberglass... fenders & quarter panels are SMC, roof is a magnesium/aluminum composite, the only "metal" exterior panel on the car.

thanks Rod,now i have an idea of what my cars shell is made of.

All of the exterior body panels; roof, hood, door skins, fenders rear quarter panels are made of SMC (sheet molding composite). The panels are a little thicker on the XLR than the panels on the Corvette.

All of the exterior body panels; roof, hood, door skins, fenders rear quarter panels are made of SMC (sheet molding composite). The panels are a little thicker on the XLR than the panels on the Corvette.
Here is some info on the roof and deck lid material;

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back