Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!
  • The Cadillac XLR Net is now on instagram! Follow Us!

Cabin filter check

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
I checked my cabin filter the other day just for fun (it filters the air coming into the passenger compartment)... and found it was FILTHY; I only have 4800 miles on the car!! Not a bad idea to check this periodically and change it... $25-30 filter. The access door is on the right side of the firewall, just above the battery.

standby-V

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Lt. Platinum & 2006 Lt. Platinum XLR-V
I thought the air was clear up there. Imagine what mine looks like down in LA
I checked my cabin filter the other day just for fun (it filters the air coming into the passenger compartment)... and found it was FILTHY; I only have 4800 miles on the car!! Not a bad idea to check this periodically and change it... $25-30 filter. The access door is on the right side of the firewall, just above the battery.

Tbirdusa

I changed mine last week. Real dirty. Don't know how that happens when you roll with the top down and the vents closed :lol:

I went to Autozone and it was $11. Probably get what ya pay for though.

XLR-V Lover

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Black XLR-V
I could be wrong but I thought that filter was a free replacement from the dealer. At least they have always replaced mine. :)

Floyd (BB)

Lola's Mom

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
We were charged for the filter ....
we were told it wasn't covered under the warranty ....
Is there a difference whether in service whether you are under a lease or purchase? :confused:

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
XLR premium care

If you have the XLR Premuim care ( first 4 yrs. or 50,000 miles) air filters,oil/filter change and cabin filters are free to you.

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
I changed mine last week. Real dirty. Don't know how that happens when you roll with the top down and the vents closed :lol:

I went to Autozone and it was $11. Probably get what ya pay for though.
I always use WIX filters...

cubby558

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'16 Z06, "06 XLR-V Infra Red-Sold, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader
You would think you would get a message on the DIC to check or replace the cabin filter. My wifes Lincoln LS does it when it time to change. Heck even my setback thermostat at home tells me when to change the filter in my furnace:dunno::dunno:

D

D.J.

FILTER

IF THE FILTERS ONLY DIRTY ON ONE SIDE TURN IT AROUND AND RE USE IT :reddevil MINES CHANGED WIITH THE OIL CHANGE FOR FOUR YEARS :cool:

XLR-V Lover

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Black XLR-V
IF THE FILTERS ONLY DIRTY ON ONE SIDE TURN IT AROUND AND RE USE IT :reddevil MINES CHANGED WIITH THE OIL CHANGE FOR FOUR YEARS :cool:

I'm not sure this is a very good idea. By "turning it around" you would then be "cleaning" the dirty side, hence blowing the accumulated gunk into the inside of the car. :( Just my .02c.

Floyd (BB)

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
My new filter has a flow arrow on it... so it is only supposed to be installed in one direction.

standby-V

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
The one I bought from Pep Boys didn't have an arrow on it and I checked it against the old one and it really doesn't matter which way to put it in.
I agree with Floys................don't turn it around or you'll be eating bugs.
My new filter has a flow arrow on it... so it is only supposed to be installed in one direction.

kmariebox

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black
Definitely something I'm going to do myself, next time it needs to be replaced! Cadillac's service dept. charged $40.02 for the filter (OEM 15861929) and $139.95 TO PUT IT IN! Really? Aye, aye, aye!

standby-V

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
Air filter

WOW, Outrageous, wish I could get a job getting $140 for 15 minutes work. These are attorney charges. I have Volant filters that I can either clean with kit or order new ones for $60 each and takes me 10 minutes to change them, and I thought that was high. I would challenge that bill and let them know that in the future, if they want to see my car again, there will be no more train robberies. Sounds like Lund Cadillac prices to me.:reddevil

Definitely something I'm going to do myself, next time it needs to be replaced! Cadillac's service dept. charged $40.02 for the filter (OEM 15861929) and $139.95 TO PUT IT IN! Really? Aye, aye, aye!

Anthony Cundari

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
had a 2007 XLR for 5 years - unfortunately I moved on to newer technology
Not Right ....

I just changed mine tonight. 5 minutes max to take the new one out of the box, take the old one out and replace with new and rebox the used one. I would go back and talk to the owner of the dealership and tell them you want a full refund. 3 clips, take the cover off, slide it out, slide the new one in. Add 2 mins to wipe the inside of the cavity. See page 374 in the manual - Letter B for the location of the cover panel if you don't know where it is. Next time, buy the filter and do it yourself. Finally, if the owner doesn't realize that his service department created a very unhappy customer, you might mention that internet search engines will find your post and what you experienced at his dealership when they search his dealership name. Oh, a surprise, the filter was made in the USA.

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
Cabin filter

Just changed mine. Got a fresh one at NAPA, PN #224480. Cost $11.88 including Fl. sales tax. Took about 2 minutes to install.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win a Cadillac CTS-V!

Cadillac CTS-V Dream Giveaway

Supporting Vendors

East Coast Used XLR Parts

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Top Bottom