Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Can the passenger seat be moved forward to temporarily store things behind it?

grue

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'05 XLR
Hey guys,

Bizarre question but I'm flying to pick up my car at the end of next week and have to pick up some old family photos to bring back as well. Since they're likely too large to put in the divided cargo area I'm trying to find a way to drive with the photos but be able to put the top down as well (3,100 miles with my new car, of COURSE I want to put the top down).

I've got two free ideas or one paid idea:

I could put the passenger seat forward a few inches and put the photos behind said seat, at least in theory. Since I don't have the car, I can't test that theory in advance. Thoughts?

I could also take them out of their frames, put them in a cardboard mailer, and then open the top with them in the trunk and hope they don't get destroyed. This seems at least mildly moronic, but if someone has evidence to the contrary I'm listening. Or reading, as it were.

Or, and this is craaaaaaazy, I could just throw 'em in a box and ship 'em after I pick up the car I guess…

should work behind the seat, or flat in the trunk. lay them down flat(no frames), lay a towel over top. there is space btw the top and floor in the trunk with top stowed.
not much, but enough for photos. bring a towel either way, to cover the frames behind the seat.

Storage

Hey guys,

Bizarre question but I'm flying to pick up my car at the end of next week and have to pick up some old family photos to bring back as well. Since they're likely too large to put in the divided cargo area I'm trying to find a way to drive with the photos but be able to put the top down as well (3,100 miles with my new car, of COURSE I want to put the top down).

I've got two free ideas or one paid idea:

I could put the passenger seat forward a few inches and put the photos behind said seat, at least in theory. Since I don't have the car, I can't test that theory in advance. Thoughts?

I could also take them out of their frames, put them in a cardboard mailer, and then open the top with them in the trunk and hope they don't get destroyed. This seems at least mildly moronic, but if someone has evidence to the contrary I'm listening. Or reading, as it were.

Or, and this is craaaaaaazy, I could just throw 'em in a box and ship 'em after I pick up the car I guess…

Well all these are options but hard to comment not knowing the space you need. I would expect that the passenger space plus trunk space would be sufficient for a few photos. This has been more than enough to accommodate all my needs for a lengthy XLR group meeting on multiple events.
Your priority should be getting the XLR and taking it home....photos are really an after thought...just saying!

Steve

should work behind the seat, or flat in the trunk. lay them down flat(no frames), lay a towel over top. there is space btw the top and floor in the trunk with top stowed.
not much, but enough for photos. bring a towel either way, to cover the frames behind the seat.

Great news! Thanks so much!

Well all these are options but hard to comment not knowing the space you need. I would expect that the passenger space plus trunk space would be sufficient for a few photos. This has been more than enough to accommodate all my needs for a lengthy XLR group meeting on multiple events.
Your priority should be getting the XLR and taking it home....photos are really an after thought...just saying!

Steve

:blinzel:

You should be able to get a golf bag back there. I would think if your pictures can fit in that dimension you are good to go.

When the top goes down, if there's anything flat, like a towel or the picture in the trunk, even laying flat on the floor the roof is going to drag on it!

Once you get on the highway with top down in your new Xlr, the pictures no matter what you do with them will be the last thing on your mind. Check out your huge smile on your face in the rear view mirror. Have fun and be safe....

Once you get on the highway with top down in your new Xlr, the pictures no matter what you do with them will be the last thing on your mind. Check out your huge smile on your face in the rear view mirror. Have fun and be safe....

Oh for sure. Ironically while I'm the second owner of the car and haven't picked it up yet, I've put on around 12,000 of the 30,000 or so miles on it. It was my grandmother's car, and I used to ferry it between her winter and summer homes for her!

When the top goes down, if there's anything flat, like a towel or the picture in the trunk, even laying flat on the floor the roof is going to drag on it!

Yeah, I also store stuff under the roof when it is stowed, BUT always leave the cargo divider 'out' so I don't forget to remove the stuff BEFORE I put the roof back up. There is no clearance at all as the roof swings in and out of the trunk. There is once it has locked down. Be aware that the trunk gets hot too.

HTHs

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back