Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

can't open car due to dead battery?

joe tal

So, today I tried to drive my 04 xlr to winter storage. I opened the door. put the car cover in the passenger seat, put the fob into the cup holder closed the door. I then unhooked the battery tender. The horn beeped (never did that before). Went to open the door and it wouldn't open. Got my spare key and tried it. Still won't open. Red light shines on driver door. Now what? can't open car to get it towed to dealer for resolution. Any ideas???? ps....................this car is wonderful when it's running but, very unreliable.

So, today I tried to drive my 04 xlr to winter storage. I opened the door. put the car cover in the passenger seat, put the fob into the cup holder closed the door. I then unhooked the battery tender. The horn beeped (never did that before). Went to open the door and it wouldn't open. Got my spare key and tried it. Still won't open. Red light shines on driver door. Now what? can't open car to get it towed to dealer for resolution. Any ideas???? ps....................this car is wonderful when it's running but, very unreliable.
Hey

Get a helper to assist. Get your metal key and go to the rear bumper. Open the little one inch square door on the rear bumber fascia. Turn the key and have the helper lift up on the rear deck lid. Do this slowy, till full up. Inside to the left , find a plastic "T" handle . I think it is white or blue or green and pull it. It will pop the door on the Driver's side.

Bill

Hey

Get a helper to assist. Get your metal key and go to the rear bumper. Open the little one inch square door on the rear bumber fascia. Turn the key and have the helper lift up on the rear deck lid. Do this slowy, till full up. Inside to the left , find a plastic "T" handle . I think it is white or blue or green and pull it. It will pop the door on the Driver's side.

Bill
Thanks. The works but the trunk does not open. I tried it many times. I can lift on the trunk till the tires come off the ground while my helper turns the key ..............and nothing. I hate this gorgeous car!

slightly push down on the trunk as someone else turns the key and holds it. then lift up. once it release be sure to lift up and pull back o nit or you will break a corner of the trunk lid. Its not an electric release. its a manual cable release and unless the shocks are good and the rubber stoppers on the trunk are there it will not jump up. if the key slot turns really easy you may have a broken cable but i have never run across one .The cables are pretty dependable if you turn the key far enough it will release the trunk.. You can also pull the hood latch with a stiff wire . pm me and I will try and tell you how. its rather hard. You can also get under the car if you jack it up and unplug the fan motor wiring and I can tell you how to wire it so it will charge the battery and you can get in.

Thanks for your responses. Today XLR delivered to dealer for service. Confirmed dead battery. Vehicle will be up and running in time to go into storage. I love this vehicle and hate her. Such a conflict!!!

I use an old choke cable mounted to the lower fascia by left front wheel to quickly open the hood. Be sure to push it back in after it releases. I also ran a 10# wire from the power side of the fuse block underhood at battery to an existing small hole on lower fascia on Right side front. End of cable is stripped and covered with Marette. I can charge or boost the vehicle from it using a suspension bolt for the Negative connection.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom