Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cold storage for XLR

boilermaker

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2009 Black/Tan XLR: 2008 STS V8 AWD: 2008 SRX Premium AWD
Looking for feedback from those of you that may have stored a vehicle, in this case my 2009 XLR, in and enclosed storage unit.
Mostly CONS i guess. May have to store it for the winters in commercial storage area that has 10' W x 30' L x 10' H units metal units with concrete floors, non heated no electric outlets. Roll up doors on both ends.
Location in Pittsburgh area where temperatures go from 10* in winter to 85* in summer.
Units are within a mile of home so they are readily available to visit, start , clean etc and use vehicle in winter , weather permitting.

You may want to take jumper cables or a Jump Start box when you go to visit your XLR. Without a trickle charge on Vets and XLRs, and cold weather, battery loses charge after a week or two.

Besides, when batteries go dead, that is when they freeze - making them unusable.

I don't like the sounds of any of these feedbacks. How do people who drive these things in the winter keep them charged and in running condition?

I don't like the sounds of any of these feedbacks. How do people who drive these things in the winter keep them charged and in running condition?

If you drive them, you will be OK!

If you have power at your storage unit, the Battery Tender or Battery Minders both work great for long-term lay-up.

CC :wave:

Glad to see you are storing the XLR in that dark cold storage unit can only assume that means the Allante stays in the heated garage at home!

(Any of you xlr guys that wants an Allante, you must see Boilermaker's. Been to car shows in Pittsburgh and his black N* '93 is as fine as there is.)

I see that Mr Coates has finally come over to the other side!
Actually Mr. Coates since there has not been any interest in the Allante, it will fit end to end with the Xlr in the 10' x 30' storage unit (doors at both ends).

Watch for sweating of the container dripping rust water down on the cars and leaving rust stains. This will happen when they have cold soaked, and a warm wet day condenses water on all the inside surfaces.

I store my V in a steel aircraft hangar. Have the same problem there too.

Bob

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back