Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

'04-'09 XLR History & Information

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
All 2004-2009 XLRs were hand built in a separate build area from the Corvettes @ The Bowling Green Assembly Plant, Bowling Green, KY. (I-65, Exit 28)
UAW Local 2164
The last XLR was built on 4/30/09, it was a Radiant Silver (17U) Platinum Edition

Plant Managers @ BGAP during XLR production;
Wil Cooksey 1993-2008
Paul Graham 2008-2009

XLR Vehicle Chief Designer: Tom Peters
XLR Chief Engineer: Dave Leone
VLE (Vehicle Line Executive) GM Performance Cars: David C. Hill
Northstar V-8 Chief Engineer: John Zinser

XLR Team Members @ BGAP;
XLR Production Launch Manager: John Spencer
XLR Production Engineering Manager: Jim Danahy
Plant Quality Manager: Rick Robbins
Quality Engineering Manager: Tom Hill

Folding Top:

Folding Top was built by Car Top Systems (CTS) in Bowling Green, KY
The folding top is comprised of two main panels. Both the front and rear top panels are painted body color and have an outer skin made of sheet molding composite (SMC)
There are a total of 16 hydraulic lines in the folding top system. Two lines for each cylinder. Each line is numbered for identification.
There are a total of eight hydraulic cylinders utilized in top operation.
One cylinder operates the windshield header latch
Two operate the deck lid
One operates the front tonneau
Two operate the rear tonneau
Two operate the top itself
Folding Top Fluid: GM part #89022748, (Canada, 30579887), Saab convertible top fluid part #3032356

Factory Built Special Editions:

2004 Neiman Marcus Edition XLRs (RPO LME). All were painted Ultra Violet (95U) with Shale interiors (18I) & numbered sill plate. Cost: $85,000

The Neiman Marcus XLRs were sold through the Neiman Marcus 2002 Christmas catalog. There were 101 NM XLRs built with 99 units sold to the public and 2 went to charities. The 99 sold out in 14 minutes. They were delivered to dealers in September 2003. They were all built at the same time, but they were not the first units built in 2003.

2006 Star Black (82U) XLRs, 250 built. RPO WG8 included; chrome grille, 18" chrome wheels, numbered sill plate & custom car cover.
2007 Passion Red (74U) XLRs, 250 built. RPO X30 included; dark eucalyptus wood trim accents, Ebony interior (19I), chrome grille, 18" chrome wheels & numbered sill plate.
2008 Alpine White (10U) XLRs, limited edition. RPO X30 included; chrome grille & 18" chrome wheels. Ebony (19I) or Cashmere (35I) interior.* Alpine White (10U) was also available on the XLR-V, even though it was not listed as a color choice in the 2008 sales brochure.

2004 exterior colors: Xenon Blue (19U), Black Raven (41U), Satin Nickel (46U), Light Platinum (67U), Crimson Pearl (86U) & Thunder Gray (88U).
2004 interior colors: Shale (15I), Ebony (19I).

Model Year Changes:

2005: Dark Eucalyptus interior wood trim accents available, RPO FAC.
Blue Steel (34U) replaces Thunder Gray (88U).

2006: first year for the XLR-V; it was available in Black Raven (41U), Light Platinum (67U) & Infrared (80U). Cost: $100,000
Adaptive Forward Lighting (AFL) introduced.
Passenger side air bag light moved from center console trim plate to inside rear view mirror.
Matching interior wood trim added to HVAC trim plate.
Infrared (80U) replaces Crimson Pearl (86U), Gold Mist (51U) replaces Satin Nickel (46U).

2007: first year for the Platinum Edition XLR. They were painted Liquid Amethyst (36U) or Black Raven (41U) with Cashmere interiors (35I), chrome grille, high polished 18" 15 spoke aluminum wheels, Olive Ash interior wood trim, leather wrapped interior panels & Alcantara ultra-microfiber headliner & sunvisors.
4th color added to XLR-V; Xenon Blue (19U). Blue Steel (34U) is deleted.

2007 and 2008 had three models; Standard XLR, Platinum Edition XLR and XLR-V.

2008: heated steering wheel introduced, RPO N31 XLR/Platinum. RPO NR7 XLR-V.*Due to a shortage of steering wheels, many of the '08 XLRs were built without the wood on the steering wheel. A credit was applied to the cost of the vehicle or the customer could choose to have the correct steering wheel installed @ a later date.
XLR 18" aluminum chrome wheels, RPO PD5.
Crystal Red (89U) replaces Infrared (80U). Elektra Blue (85U) replaces Xenon Blue (19U). Goldstream (11U) replaces Gold Mist (51U).
Fabric covering for the front tonneau linkage (inside the storage area), is deleted.
The ignition button must be held down for 3 seconds to shut off engine.

2009 deletions:
"Supercharged" letters removed from XLR-V doors.
Bvlgari lettering removed from instrument cluster.
Kinetic aluminum interior trim.
Zingana wood trim accents removed from XLR-V.
Light & Dark Eucalyptus interior wood trim accents.
Exterior Colors; Goldstream (11U), Liquid Amethyst (36U), Light Platinum (67U).

2009 new features:
Two models; XLR Platinum and XLR-V. The XLR Platinum Edition used the same hood as the XLR-V.
New 18" wheel designs on XLR Platinum.
New design on front & rear fascias for both XLR Platinum & XLR-V.
Restyled front fog lamps for XLR Platinum & XLR-V.
New upper & lower grille design for both XLR Platinum & XLR-V.
New exhaust tips for XLR Platinum.
Bluetooth capability with next Generation OnStar 8.0
New cluster trim rings & new graphics.
New power window control switches.
Black Olive Ash wood replaces Zingana wood for XLR-V
Restyled front fenders with chrome vents for XLR-V & XLR Platinum.
Exterior colors; Black Cherry (12U), Radiant Silver (17U), Flannel Gray (57U)

*Black Raven (41U), is the only color that was available every year of production.

All new XLRs were delivered to dealers in enclosed car carriers (8 cars per carrier). A protective plastic film known as "Transseal" was applied to the external horizontal painted surfaces to provide protection from ultra violet light, fallout and chemical attack from bird droppings. The protective film was removed during Pre-Delivery inspection. Only XLR certified Cadillac dealers could sell new XLRs.

Powertrain information

Engines:

2004-2009 XLR/XLR Platinum: used the all-aluminum 4.6L (279 cu in) 32 valve, 4 cam NORTHSTAR V-8 with VVT, (RPO LH2, VIN A). Horsepower- 320 @ 6400 rpm. Torque (lbs-ft)- 310 @ 4000 rpm. Compression ratio- 10.5:1. The engines were assembled @ The Livonia, MI engine plant.

2006-2009 XLR-V: used the all-aluminum 4.4L (267 cu in) 32 valve, 4 cam SUPERCHARGED NORTHSTAR V-8 with VVT, (RPO LC3, VIN D).
Horsepower- 443 @ 6400 rpm. Torque (lbs-ft)- 414 @ 3,900 rpm. Compression ratio- 9.0:1. The engines were hand assembled @ The Wixom Performance Build Center, Wixom, MI. 2007-2009 engines were signed by the builder on a tag on the right side (passenger side) cam cover.

2007-2009 4.4L (RPO LC3) engines were signed by the engine builder @ Wixom.
Firing order: 12734568, LH2 and LC3 engines. Spark plug gap: 4.6L-0.050", 4.4L- 0.040"

Transmissions:

2004-2006 XLRs used the 5 speed automatic transmission (5L50-E) with Driver Shift Control.
2007-2009 XLRs used the 6 speed automatic transmission (6L80-E) with Driver Shift Control.
2006-2009 XLR-Vs used the 6 speed automatic transmission (6L80-E) with Driver Shift Control.

5 Speed Transmission information:
RPO M22
Production location: Strasbourg France
Rear Wheel Drive
Y Platform
Dry weight: 161 lb
Fluid- Dexron III
1st gear ratio- 3.42:1, 2nd gear ratio- 2.21:1, 3rd gear ratio- 1.60:1, 4th gear ratio- 1.00:1, 5th gear ratio- 0.75:1, Reverse gear ratio- 3.03:1

6 Speed Transmission information:
RPO MYC
Production location: Ypsilanti, MI
Rear Wheel Drive
Y Platform
Dry weight: 213.2 lb
Fluid- Dexron VI
1st gear ratio- 4.027:1, 2nd gear ratio- 2.364:1, 3rd gear ratio- 1.532:1, 4th gear ratio- 1.152:1, 5th gear ratio- 0.852:1, 6th gear ratio- 0.667:1, Reverse gear ratio- 3.064:1

Differential:

2004-2006 XLRs used the Getrag Limited-Slip differential. 8" ring gear with 2.93 gear ratio. (RPO GW9)
2007-2009 XLRs used the Getrag Limited-Slip differential. 8" ring gear with 2.73 gear ratio. (RPO GU2)
2006-2009 XLR-Vs used the Getrag Limited-Slip differential. 8" ring gear with 2.56 gear ratio. (RPO GM8)

Suspension:

2004-2009 XLR/XLR-V: featured the MagnaRide Real Time Damping (RTD) suspension. Magnetic-rheological shocks @ each wheel can vary damping up to 1,000 times a second, adjusting to changing road surface conditions.

2004-2009 XLR/XLR-V: the front and rear suspensions use a single lightweight fiberglass transverse spring.

Charging system:
Hitachi H-LC 150 Amp liquid cooled generator (RPO KG4)

Structure:
2004-2009 XLRs use hydroformed steel frame rails made @ BGAP. The hydroforming process uses a single die and high-pressure fluid to form the rails; resulting in frame rails that are boxed, rather than U-channel. Hydroformed frame rails reduce weight, but are of higher strength. The XLR also utilizes a structural backbone "tunnel" that provides great structural rigidity.

Body:

2004-2009 XLR: The exterior painted body panels (except the front and rear bumper covers) are made of SMC (sheet molding composite), including the rear tonneau and both folding top panels.

Tires:
2004-2009 XLR/XLR Platinum: P235/50R18 W-rated, extended mobility, blackwall, Michelin or Goodyear (RPO QMS)
2006-2009 XLR-V: P235/45R19 front, P255/40R19 rear, W-rated, extended mobility, blackwall, Pirelli (RPO Q24)

2006-2009 XLR-Vs were the only XLRs that came with a factory installed rear swaybar.
2006-2009 XLR-Vs have greaseable rear outer tie-rod ends.
2006-2009 XLR-Vs were charged a Gas Guzzler Tax (RPO R8E)

Navigation System was built by Denso in Japan

Options:

Adaptive Cruise Control was not available on 2006-2009 XLR-Vs.
XM (S-Band) radio was an option on 2004-2005 XLRs. The XM radio antenna was externally mounted on the decklid. It was painted body color and installed by the dealer. 2006-2009 the XM antenna was integrated in the outside rearview mirrors.

Maintenance Replacement Parts:

Engine air cleaner filter elements:
4.4L V8- A2945C (10342024 GM part #), 4.6L V8- A1208C (25099149 GM part #)

Engine oil filter:
4.4L V8- PF26, 4.6L V8- PF61

Engine spark plugs:
4.4L V8- 41-991 (12592619 GM part #), 4.6L V8- 41-986 (12571533 GM part #)

Cabin filter:
CF131C (10345066 GM part #)

Wiper blade:
19.7" (50 cm) 12367281 GM part #

XLR Production information

800 of the nearly 3,000 parts used to assemble the XLR are XLR specific.
A single XLR spent 8, 8hr workdays in production. 4 of those days involving paint & bodywork, the other 4 consisting of general assembly.
GM spent $50 million adding the XLR assembly line to the BGAP, opening up 127 new jobs.
Maximum daily production for the XLR was 16 per day.
Minimum daily production for the XLR was 8 per day.

Information from the book: The Corvette Factories by Mike Mueller

A single XLR spent 8, 8hr workdays in production. 4 of those days involving paint & bodywork, the other 4 consisting of general assembly.
GM spent $50 million adding the XLR assembly line to the BGAP, opening up 127 new jobs.

Thanks so much for the very valueable info.
Bakertech. 2008 Crystal Red Tintcoat and a bunch of other stuff...

I wonder how far down in the parts list they went to get that 800/3000 number? All the body parts are unique. Most all the interior parts, not including the mirror. Some of the drive train is shared with other GM products, but not the Corvette. Then there are things like the chassis, which is a modified C6 design (4 additional holes).

I wonder how far down in the parts list they went to get that 800/3000 number? All the body parts are unique. Most all the interior parts, not including the mirror. Some of the drive train is shared with other GM products, but not the Corvette. Then there are things like the chassis, which is a modified C6 design (4 additional holes).

What do you mean by "(4 additional holes)":dunno:

What do you mean by "(4 additional holes)":dunno:

A hole is a spot, usually round, where there is a void of the surrounding material.

During a discussion with a few of the builders and management at Bowling Green about the differences between the XLR and the C6 one of the items was the chassis differences, 4 holes. I believe they are in the rear and used for locating the trunk/roof assembly. The point is that some things are common with the Corvette, some are similar, and some are entirely different.

Same:
Hubs
Brakes
Rear view mirror

Similar, but different
Muffler
Radio
Chassis

Different:
Drive train
Body
Interior

A hole is a spot, usually round, where there is a void of the surrounding material.

:chuckle That's good!! I learn something everyday from this forum! :laugh:

But I don't think that's what he meant by what 4 holes. What are they FOR?? In which you answered!

Last edited:

During a discussion with a few of the builders and management at Bowling Green about the differences between the XLR and the C6 one of the items was the chassis differences, 4 holes. I believe they are in the rear and used for locating the trunk/roof assembly. The point is that some things are common with the Corvette, some are similar, and some are entirely different.

Same:
Hubs
Brakes
Rear view mirror

Similar, but different
Muffler
Radio
Chassis

Different:
Drive train
Body
Interior
WOW Thanks for clearing up what a hole is "don't know how I got so far in life without your explanation."

:chuckle That's good!! I learn something everyday from this forum! :laugh:

But I don't think that's what he meant by what 4 holes. What are they FOR?? In which you answered!

Me too! Now I can even tell if I have a "hole" in my head! :chuckle

The last XLR was built on 4/30/09. Other than mule test cars, executive produced drivers, and introduction Neiman Marcus units,,,,,when was the first retail XLR units produced in 2003 for sale? Just curious.....

Same:
Hubs
Brakes
Rear view mirror

Similar, but different
Muffler
Radio
Chassis

Different:
Drive train
Body
Interior

Under "same", you can add spring assemblies (both front and rear) right down to the ride height adjustment bolts and the exhaust tunnel shields and mid-pipe.

Under "similar", add wheels, XM, Nav, and some engine accessories.

The last XLR was built on 4/30/09. Other than mule test cars, executive produced drivers, and introduction Neiman Marcus units,,,,,when was the first retail XLR units produced in 2003 for sale? Just curious.....

August of 2003

Finally,,,,

August of 2003

Thank you Bruce for the answer....

First time a question that I've asked, has been answered on a forum post,,,,,other than PMs to the Cadillac rep who monitors the site.

Attachments

• Sweet Jes Gold Chains 1aR.jpg
    Sweet Jes Gold Chains 1aR.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,545
Last edited:
2007 XLR Platinum Liquid Amethyst

Am I correct that only 38 of these were produced?

I purchased mine from a BMW dealership in Phoenix January 2011. It was placed into service in April 2008 on a lease. The BMW dealer took it in on trade and had it for several months, advertising it as purple. I saw it. Fell in love immediately. Under factory warranty and only 19k miles. Negotiated the price down from $45k to $35k! They had no idea!

I'm still driving it and still loving it! Always get compliments!

Bought wife a silver 04 XLR a couple years ago and she loves hers also! It's fun driving to a destination in 2 XLR's!

Am I correct that only 38 of these were produced?

I purchased mine from a BMW dealership in Phoenix January 2011. It was placed into service in April 2008 on a lease. The BMW dealer took it in on trade and had it for several months, advertising it as purple. I saw it. Fell in love immediately. Under factory warranty and only 19k miles. Negotiated the price down from $45k to $35k! They had no idea!

I'm still driving it and still loving it! Always get compliments!

Bought wife a silver 04 XLR a couple years ago and she loves hers also! It's fun driving to a destination in 2 XLR's!

My research shows only 38 '07 Liquid Amethyst XLR Platinums were produced. I just acquired an '08 Liquid Amethyst XLR Platinum and research shows only 9 were produced that year.

2010 XLR's

I was at a Caddy dealer today and some young wanker of a salesman was admiring my car and insisted they found his friend one of the rare 2010 models that they brought up from Florida for him. I told him that 2009 was the last year of production and he insisted that his friends was a 201 and informed me there were only 500 made. I repeated that the last XLRs were built in 2009 and there were no 2010 cars produced.

So doing some internet searching tonight I discovered Wikipedia has an posting about XLR's that obviously needs clarification. Their production numbers do not match those of this forum and they list 787 of the 2009's, 188 more cars being licensed in 2010 that were left over 2009's as well as 12 cars being licensed in 2011 so their figures of 2009 cars total is 987. (our forum numbers total 892 for 2009)

They also list some 2003's and in fact all their production totals for the various years do not match this forums totals.

Cadillac XLR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am going to guess that this forum has had some intense research done and the numbers 'here' are correct? Perhaps some of our information should be submitted to Wikipedia to correct their errors?

So what can you tell me about the cars that were actually licensed in 2010 & 2011. Are they in fact registered as those years: do their titles say 2010 or 2011? Obviously their production dates are on or before April 30, 2009 regardless.

I would love to hear the truth on this matter as I own a 2009 model and prefer to know the facts. I will also be happy to re-educate this young expert.

The build date determines the model year, --not the sales, licensing, or registration date.

A lot of new XLRs sat on dealer lots for several years after production ended, due to an absurdly high MSRP and the economy tanking.

The production numbers here came from BGA. They're solid. Wikipedia is often not. It can only be as accurate as the facts entered.

Youth is wasted on the very young. Good luck as an educator.

CC :wave:

The build date determines the model year, --not the sales, licensing, or registration date.

A lot of new XLRs sat on dealer lots for several years after production ended, due to an absurdly high MSRP and the economy tanking.

The production numbers here came from BGA. They're solid. Wikipedia is often not. It can only be as accurate as the facts entered.

Youth is wasted on the very young. Good luck as an educator.

CC :wave:

Then should we not correct Wikipedia then? :blinzel:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry