Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Comparing 08 Suspension to Earlier Years

dug-mac

Seasoned Member
I don't even own an XLR (yet) but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both cars (08 and the earlier ones) to be able to give a first hand account of handling differences, etc. I've read the blurb about the changes that were made, but I'm wondering how those changes play out in the real world on real roads with real people. Any help would be appreciated in helping to make my decision.

Regards,

Doug

I've never really felt a big difference. You will notice a difference if you install the XLR-V rear sway to any '04-'09 XLR. There is a difference in ride between the XLR & XLR-V.

Thanks so much for your reply Cadillac Tech. I would assume the rear sway makes the car feel more buttoned down, but does it also conspire to give a less supple and compliant ride?

Thanks so much for your reply Cadillac Tech. I would assume the rear sway makes the car feel more buttoned down, but does it also conspire to give a less supple and compliant ride?

You are correct, the rear end feels more planted. It doesn't seem to hinder the ride quality. Hopefully some of the owners who have installed the rear swaybar, will give you feedback.:wave:

I had it installed on my 2006 XLR and it makes a remarkable improvement in stabilizing the car. Much more fun steering around curves.:D

Speedway:)

You are correct, the rear end feels more planted. It doesn't seem to hinder the ride quality. Hopefully some of the owners who have installed the rear swaybar, will give you feedback.:wave:

I installed the rear swaybar on my 2005 - definitely feel the difference in the "handling" of the car - but notice NO difference in the ride - still rides superb! :wave:

Thanks for the responses. Did you guys have the sway installed at a Cadillac dealer - will they do this? What was the approximate cost involved?

Thanks for the responses. Did you guys have the sway installed at a Cadillac dealer - will they do this? What was the approximate cost involved?

I installed it with my 15 yo son (backed the car on ramps). When you order the pieces (there is a list of the appropriate parts in a thread on the Rear Swaybar topic) - it just bolts right on. So I do not know what the dealer would charge to do this.

I have everything done at the Cadillac dealer they have people trained to perform this type of work which provides you with the peace of mind that it was done correctly.:D

Speedway

My dealer installed for free for buying the parts from him instead of online. A lot of folks have done it themselves. Agree with Chicago Dave, the car feels more buttoned down in turns but does not affect the ride. I had a C-6 With Magnetic ride control and even on the softest setting on the C-6 the XLR is a much smoother ride if there are any surface irregularities. Do miss the G meter from the HUD on the C-6 though!!!!

Great replies, thanks for the help. Were you guys disappointed with the handling of the car without the sway or was it just a matter of improving something that was already good?

Great replies, thanks for the help. Were you guys disappointed with the handling of the car without the sway or was it just a matter of improving something that was already good?

Nothing wrong with the handling as it was ... just wanted some impovements. I've done some AUTOCROSSING with mine and just wanted a bit more tightness on the cornering. DEFINITELY helped in that respect. But for everyday driving - the factory handling was fine.

:rocker:

Car was okay like it was really depends on how you drive if you like speed and curves go with the sway bar if not its good like it is.:D

Speedway

Thanks for all your valuable input. Did you guys that put on the sway bar feel that the car understeered excessively without it? In the few test rides I've been on the car seemed pretty neutral, as might be expected from 50/50 weight distribution...

I could not believe a rear stabilizer bar was not included on the base model, and yes the rear end always felt loose, almost disconnected from the front. It is much better with the rear bar installed, and still rides nice. I also lowered mine on the stock bushings and realigned it, so I did several changes at once. Either way you will be very happy with the results. I don't remember if the parts list and pricing is in this thread or not, but my dealer met the prices that I had from here.
Bruce (not the tech)

I could not believe a rear stabilizer bar was not included on the base model, and yes the rear end always felt loose, almost disconnected from the front. It is much better with the rear bar installed, and still rides nice. I also lowered mine on the stock bushings and realigned it, so I did several changes at once. Either way you will be very happy with the results. I don't remember if the parts list and pricing is in this thread or not, but my dealer met the prices that I had from here.
Bruce (not the tech)

Here is the thread with the Parts list - when you do get your XLR - you'll want to upgrade (unless you get a V). I think there are pictures as well.

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2624

Wow, you guys have been great with all the valuable info. I actually drove an 08 today (non V version) but it's so hard to glean much from a short run and without being able to compare cars back to back. I'm a bit surprised to hear the rear end being described as loose as this would suggest oversteer, and very few cars are designed in this manner. Also, stiffening up the rear of a car is typically done to help control excessive understeer, not oversteer, but I'm certainly no expert and I'm sure some of you guys know much more than me about these things...

Wow, you guys have been great with all the valuable info. I actually drove an 08 today (non V version) but it's so hard to glean much from a short run and without being able to compare cars back to back. I'm a bit surprised to hear the rear end being described as loose as this would suggest oversteer, and very few cars are designed in this manner. Also, stiffening up the rear of a car is typically done to help control excessive understeer, not oversteer, but I'm certainly no expert and I'm sure some of you guys know much more than me about these things...

It's not that it's horrible without the rear bar; I didn't put one on mine until about a year after I got it. It's just that the car corners much better with it, with no difference in the overall ride.

I am going to put one on my 04. I am a long time Corvette owner and use to how the Vette feels. The first thing I noticed about the XLR was it didn't take the turns like my Vette.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom