Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

compartment door won't open

nvme

My XLR/V(s)
What was called a glove box is what I mean. Anyway the lift hand comes all the way up but nothing happens. I tried turning the key to the right and left but still no click-doesn't open. After several attempts the whole lock came out with the key in it. One of the plastic rings around the lock is crack, but the door still won't open. I tried using a screwdriver on it,and no results. I tried to force it open without breaking the door and no luck. I've looked in the shop manual and it has to remove it and to replace it and always the first thing to do is open it. Well I can't open it--any suggestions? I'm willing to try just about anything?

heres what I think you are speaking of. You can see from the photo of the back side that there is a metal catch on the latch. I would just drill a nice big hole to the right and up on the latch facing it from the inside of the car. . Its no good anyway and will have to be replaced. You can get them for about 20-25 bucks on ebay depending on your color. once you drill a hole you can push or pull the metal tab and it will release. I will look at my car tomorrow and let you know which way to release the metal latch. click on the link and the photo of the back side will show you what you are trying to do.

heres what I think you are speaking of. You can see from the photo of the back side that there is a metal catch on the latch. I would just drill a nice big hole to the right and up on the latch facing it from the inside of the car. . Its no good anyway and will have to be replaced. You can get them for about 20-25 bucks on ebay depending on your color. once you drill a hole you can push or pull the metal tab and it will release. I will look at my car tomorrow and let you know which way to release the metal latch. click on the link and the photo of the back side will show you what you are trying to do.

Just to follow up on this problem. I have found the way through many attempt's at this. Last Friday morning I was again looking at it and saw something and made a hook out of a wire clothes hanger and voila. There is a spring under the handle (very hard too see,lay on your back) and you'll see one side straight,then the coil spring and the other end straight. The drivers side between the coil and straight end there is a chrome metal piece that protrudes towards the engine. I put the wire hook up above the the metal piece and pulled down and it pops open,several times I did it-- I was so happy. After I took the 2 screws out from the inside the whole thing comes out through the front. I went to Ebay and got one for $35.00 Cashmire, it suppose to get here on the 3rd.

glad you got it work for you.
There is always several ways to do things. I just changed one on a srx like I recommended. Drilled a little hole pushed the bit thru the hole which tripped the latch and the door opened . 2 screws and it was out .changed the lock and installed. About 3-4 minutes total time. I keep all three colors in stock as they area know failure part

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom