Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Coolant Change Question

XLR ED

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR Crimson Pearl/Ebony
My XLR is a 2004 with 25,000 miles on it. Should I change the Dex-Cool now that the car is 6 years old. Also on other Cadillacs that I have owned I was told to use the coolant tablets in the system. Should I use them in the XLR?

Yes, I would change the coolant. It is a 5 year coolant and they mean it. It does not use the tablets.

And used distilled water.

Yeah, even more so if you have hard water. Also, I'm not sure what it looks like inside the radiator, but you might also consider flushing it and using a very mild cleaner. Although with 25k, you probably don't need it.

Well I changed the coolant. The old coolant looked clean. The only problem I had was getting all of the new coolant back into the system. I got some air trapped in the system and had to leave the car cool down for a half hour and then it took the rest of the coolant. After a road test everything work as it should.

Well I changed the coolant. The old coolant looked clean. The only problem I had was getting all of the new coolant back into the system. I got some air trapped in the system and had to leave the car cool down for a half hour and then it took the rest of the coolant. After a road test everything work as it should.

They can be quite difficult some days to get the air out of the cooling system. I pull a vacuum on the cooling system and it pulls the coolant in and fills it to the proper level with no air pockets... no muss no fuss. It's one of the best tools I have ever purchased.:)

That's a great idea! I have a lot of trouble bleeding sometimes, too. This is especially true on cars I drain the coolant from the block, too. It is always a pain in the butt to get the coolant back in the block, but one way to do it is just remove the t-stat and then gently force water through the block and out the drain, then stop it up. Not relevant if you are doing that, but just another option.

They can be quite difficult some days to get the air out of the cooling system. I pull a vacuum on the cooling system and it pulls the coolant in and fills it to the proper level with no air pockets... no muss no fuss. It's one of the best tools I have ever purchased.:)

Bruce,

Could you tell me what type of pump you use (and where you hook it up) to pull the vacuum on your cooling system? I not only need to do my XLR and Allante, but the two 8.1s in my boat and I hear that they are terrible about air pockets...

Buy stock in DexCool - I need 14 gallons...
Thanks,

Bruce,

Could you tell me what type of pump you use (and where you hook it up) to pull the vacuum on your cooling system? I not only need to do my XLR and Allante, but the two 8.1s in my boat and I hear that they are terrible about air pockets...

Buy stock in DexCool - I need 14 gallons...
Thanks,

I use a Snap-On Radkitplus vacuum cooling system filler. You attach the vacuum head to the opening on the recovery jug on the XLR & Allante. Pinch off the overflow hose and pull a vacuum using an air compressor. Once you get to around 20-25" of vacuum, you open the valve on the head and pull coolant out of a container with your coolant & water mix & into your cooling system. It works really well.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...=12500&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

Did my coolant swap this past weekend, piece of cake. Drained the old stuff, mixed 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water and filled it back up. ran it according to the shop manual and it sucked everything right in after the cool down. The next morning it took another 1/4 of a quart to top off. Bought my Dexron LS gear oil today, gonna get the rear end done this weekend.

For what it's worth only... I just contacted my service advisor at the local Cadillac dealer inquiring about any necessary 25,000 service. I acquired the '06 V in mid-February with just over 23,000 miles and have just reached the 25k point. I was told that with 88% oil life remaining and new tires installed by the selling dealer, there was nothing that would be considered needed at this point.

I specifically asked about the coolant and was advised to have the coolant change performed at my next oil change (whenever that will be). Is there a consensus rule of thumb as to how often the oil should be changed on these vehicles? Do you actually use the oil life percentage as a barometer? My driving tendencies would have to be considered as typical... highway, not dusty, some city milage. Thanks!

The oil life indicator is a good measuring device as long as the correct oil was used in your vehicle. My understanding is that GM spent a considerable amount of money on this system to make it pretty accurate. I changed my coolant not because of mileage(only 13,000) but, because of age, 7 years.

For what it's worth only... I just contacted my service advisor at the local Cadillac dealer inquiring about any necessary 25,000 service. I acquired the '06 V in mid-February with just over 23,000 miles and have just reached the 25k point. I was told that with 88% oil life remaining and new tires installed by the selling dealer, there was nothing that would be considered needed at this point.

I specifically asked about the coolant and was advised to have the coolant change performed at my next oil change (whenever that will be). Is there a consensus rule of thumb as to how often the oil should be changed on these vehicles? Do you actually use the oil life percentage as a barometer? My driving tendencies would have to be considered as typical... highway, not dusty, some city milage. Thanks!

I change mine when the meter gets to 10%. I really don't pay attention to the mileage...

I change mine when the meter gets to 10%. I really don't pay attention to the mileage...

I do the same ... but I also change it when I pull it out of winter slumber. I know its probably not needed, but I do anyway (since I do it myself). :rocker:

Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. It is recommended to change your oil at 3,000 miles.

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. It is recommended to change your oil at 3,000 miles.

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

Is this even if the computer isn't at 10% or less? Should you go by mileage over the computer percentage?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom