Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Crusin California

My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Platinum, Crystal Red Metalic
The wife and I have taken Crystal on some short road trips to Vegas and such but, we really wanted to do a real road test. So, we packed our duffels to enable lots of top down crusin, and headed out.
We avoided freeways and expressways as much as possible to see the wonderful countryside top down.
We went from Palm Desert to Acton then up to Ojai where we stopped for lunch at a Thai place. Then more back-road driving to Carpinteria and scenic CA1 to Cambria and the Pelican Cove B&B. The next leg was up CA1 to Big Sur and on to the Monterey peninsula. We then turned inland and traveled through the farmlands toward Yosemite Valley. The BLM senior pass is sure worth its weight in gold.
We spent two nights in the valley doing touristy stuff. Friday we left the valley through the south entrance, this was the real start of mountain driving, and stopped at Mariposa Grove, BIGGG Sequoia Trees. Stopped at Bed of Roses B&B in Oakhurst for the night. Saturday we went up the mountain to Giant Sequoia National Monument and the General Grant Tree (the largest tree by volume in the world) then, onto the Generals Highway to the General Sherman tree after that it was all down hill to the Plantation B&B in Lemon Cove. It was a good thing we traveled on the weekend because the construction projects were shut down. I really got to use the sport mode on this part of the trip. All the flatlanders pulled over to let us by. Sunday was the final travel day through the citrus groves and oil fields then across the high desert to Barstow and the back roads to Yucca Valley. We stopped at Pappy & Harriet's in Pioneertown for BBQ (yum), a mere 45 miles later we pulled up in the driveway.
Out of a total of 29 hours driving more than half of it was top down. Both Janet and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bring on BG & MT

Sounds like an awesome weekend, how many miles was the trip?

The wife and I have taken Crystal on some short road trips to Vegas and such but, we really wanted to do a real road test. So, we packed our duffels to enable lots of top down crusin, and headed out.
We avoided freeways and expressways as much as possible to see the wonderful countryside top down.
We went from Palm Desert to Acton then up to Ojai where we stopped for lunch at a Thai place. Then more back-road driving to Carpinteria and scenic CA1 to Cambria and the Pelican Cove B&B. The next leg was up CA1 to Big Sur and on to the Monterey peninsula. We then turned inland and traveled through the farmlands toward Yosemite Valley. The BLM senior pass is sure worth its weight in gold.
We spent two nights in the valley doing touristy stuff. Friday we left the valley through the south entrance, this was the real start of mountain driving, and stopped at Mariposa Grove, BIGGG Sequoia Trees. Stopped at Bed of Roses B&B in Oakhurst for the night. Saturday we went up the mountain to Giant Sequoia National Monument and the General Grant Tree (the largest tree by volume in the world) then, onto the Generals Highway to the General Sherman tree after that it was all down hill to the Plantation B&B in Lemon Cove. It was a good thing we traveled on the weekend because the construction projects were shut down. I really got to use the sport mode on this part of the trip. All the flatlanders pulled over to let us by. Sunday was the final travel day through the citrus groves and oil fields then across the high desert to Barstow and the back roads to Yucca Valley. We stopped at Pappy & Harriet's in Pioneertown for BBQ (yum), a mere 45 miles later we pulled up in the driveway.
Out of a total of 29 hours driving more than half of it was top down. Both Janet and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bring on BG & MT

Sound like one those not much planning trip just take off and go where the day takes you! Love them trips just take off and go to where ever you end up! Awesome to see you all out driving your sweet rides I put about 20k on mine in the 2 years I owned her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Really nice summation of your CA road trip Pat.

I've been thinking of putting together a trip that starts from the southern border going up the coast to the northern border following CA-1 but what I have in mind is to also stop at ALL the interesting and entertainment sites along the way. Sea World, The Wild Animal Ref. inland close to Santee,CA., San Jose Capistrano, Disney Land, Knott's Berry Farm, The Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar. This museum has one of the largest auto collections of the 1920s and 30s classic cars in the world plus a vintage collection of musical instruments along with one of the worlds largest indoor Pipe Organs that comes up out of the floor and is capable of reproducing any music played on it EXACTLY as it was played by the Organist! Just to mention a few of the many many interesting things to see and do out here on the west coast.

I know this whole trip would take more than a few days so I was thinking that we could divide it up into sections and complete a section per year and have different forum members of each section host their section.
What do you all think?
Got any takers?

Any WEST COAST XLR owners want to start a club called The West Coast XLR Cruzers or something like that?

Really nice summation of your CA road trip Pat.

I've been thinking of putting together a trip that starts from the southern border going up the coast to the northern border following CA-1 but what I have in mind is to also stop at ALL the interesting and entertainment sites along the way. Sea World, The Wild Animal Ref. inland close to Santee,CA., San Jose Capistrano, Disney Land, Knott's Berry Farm, The Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar. This museum has one of the largest auto collections of the 1920s and 30s classic cars in the world plus a vintage collection of musical instruments along with one of the worlds largest indoor Pipe Organs that comes up out of the floor and is capable of reproducing any music played on it EXACTLY as it was played by the Organist! Just to mention a few of the many many interesting things to see and do out here on the west coast.

I know this whole trip would take more than a few days so I was thinking that we could divide it up into sections and complete a section per year and have different forum members of each section host their section.
What do you all think?
Got any takers?

Any WEST COAST XLR owners want to start a club called The West Coast XLR Cruzers or something like that?

I would be interested in partaking such a group. :cool: We can't allow the XLR community be defined by the Midwest Marauders, can we?:pat: Did I say that out loud?

By the way your itinerary missed the Peterson Museum in LA. No trip up the coast would be complete without a stop there. IMHO

You'll have to let Amy and I know the next time your cruising the coast. Maybe we can tag along. We live in Thousand Oaks and I'm pretty sure the top has only been up a couple times since we moved here a year ago.

You can, if you like seeing people having fun with their XLR's!!:lol::lol:

................................................... We can't allow the XLR community be defined by the Midwest Marauders, can we?:pat: Did I say that out loud?

Highway 9 from Scotts Valley off of CA 17 east to Saratoga is a great drive, very curvy! We just drove it on Sunday on the way up to San Francisco from Monterey.:wave:

We were just up that way last weekend but unfortunatley we were on business and driving a rental Chrysler 300......

Patrick, it sounds like you guys had a great road trip. There is so much to see & do in CA, you guys are lucky.:wave:

All I can say is ... WOW! Absolutely beautiful, Bruce. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. :rocker:

I've got almost 4,000 pics to dig through along with video, all shot with Canon equipment.:)

For you guys... 4K pictures sound about right! :chuckle That just a normal trip! All your pictures are always amazing!!

17 Mile Drive

Here's a couple of pics from 17 Mile Drive @ Pebble Beach;

The famous Lone Cypress

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry