Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Dead Top & Trunk.

Big Duck

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V Alpine
I had stopped the raising of the top mid-cycle, so I could put some silicone on the rubber seals, when the system lost pressure and sagged down. I tried to raise it with the top up/down button and it worked for a bit but seemed to have lost its place in the sequence and now it is up and in place and seemingly locked on the windshield however the info center warns that the "Top is not locked."
Now the up/down button does not work and the trunk will not open. The flap behind the seats to cover the top is up.
Ideas? The 15 Amp top-trunk fuse is good.

CHECK OUT LAST ENTRY FOR SOLUTION

Last edited:
That's one of the hazards of stopping the top in action. I did the same thing getting the windows tinted and got a "confused" top. With some more driving there's a chance it might start working again, but I'd say you need a service tech with access to a TECH II to relearn the top settings. A dealer will do it for around 150$ or if you're a regular customer may do it for little or nothing

Thank you

Wouldn't you know it, my TECH II unit is in the trunk :) I am just worried that the dealer here will not have a mechanic that knows the car =$$$
I am in Granbury , TX about 35 mi West of Ft. Worth, TX. Is there someone around me that I can work with?
THANK YOU!
BH

I have a friend who is a master GM tech. I had to have the top relearned on my 2004. I watched him do it on his tech II. It is a pretty simple process that can be done by anyone, however the GUI on the tech II isn't very user friendly and it might take you a little bit to navigate to where you need to be. Also when you are learning the top you need to press and hold the starter button on the bottom, the accessory, for about 4 seconds to put the car into "full on" mode. You will see when this happens as the dash will light up as if it were running.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION.

:) Thanks, I will need info as to where to go in the TECH II and what to do. I also have a full set of manuals...........in the trunk that I can not open, of course:dunno:

On the bottom drivers side of your rear bumper there is a little square opening. Pry that plastic piece out and behind it is a keyslot. Put your key in and turn it, keep holding the key in the turned position and lift your trunk up. This is the manual release for the trunk. There interior doors also have pull levers inside in case the battery goes dead.

Thank you

Thank you for the heads up. I had tried the key but did not know to manually lift the trunk.:thumbsup

Still can not get in trunk

The bumper key opens doors but does not allow trunk to open.:dunno:

The bumper key opens doors but does not allow trunk to open.:dunno:

If trunk can't be opened by buttons (remote/license plate) turning the key in the bumper slot and getting another person to lift the trunk will work. Lift slowly and make sure trunk lid doesn't get the hinges in a bind

manual trunk opening

as the last poster stated. Be very very careful when manually opening the trunk. people want to raise it like it hinges up at the very back. it doesn't. when you lift it straight up the corners on the rear drop down too low. you need to pull it too you and up as you stand at the rear of the car as you lift as the corners will drop down too far and get in a bind and crack the SMC fiberglass material. Its a little hard as you have to hold the key in tension to keep the trunk lock released. just turning the key does not raise the trunk. One hand on the key turning, one hand on the trunk lifting until you get it up an inch then both hands on the trunk. I think I will make a video. haha

Video

as the last poster stated. Be very very careful when manually opening the trunk. people want to raise it like it hinges up at the very back. it doesn't. when you lift it straight up the corners on the rear drop down too low. you need to pull it too you and up as you stand at the rear of the car as you lift as the corners will drop down too far and get in a bind and crack the SMC fiberglass material. Its a little hard as you have to hold the key in tension to keep the trunk lock released. just turning the key does not raise the trunk. One hand on the key turning, one hand on the trunk lifting until you get it up an inch then both hands on the trunk. I think I will make a video. haha

A video would be helpful if I am in danger of breaking something:thumbsup

in the old days we used to open all the hoods on the 40.s model cars that way. the seal on the rear of the hood would wear out and the hood at the rear would drop down if you did not lean back as you picked it up at the same time you could bend it at the rear. Sort of comes natural once you see it. I will try and get Brad Pitt to play me opening it and the Arbys guy to narrate. HAHA

THANK YOU!!!

I had a friend hold the key while I CAREFULLY lifted the trunk lid and Viola! I got it open! :) Holy cow is it HEAVY.
Thank you for your help. Now I have liberated my set of factory manuals and my Tech II so maybe I will be able to reset the top's system. The fact that it slowly collapsed while at rest while partly open would seem to indicate a internal leak in the hydraulic system. Any ideas as to how to trouble shoot? Usual suspects?
Again, THANK YOU:wave:

I had a friend hold the key while I CAREFULLY lifted the trunk lid and Viola! I got it open! :) Holy cow is it HEAVY.
Thank you for your help. Now I have liberated my set of factory manuals and my Tech II so maybe I will be able to reset the top's system. The fact that it slowly collapsed while at rest while partly open would seem to indicate a internal leak in the hydraulic system. Any ideas as to how to trouble shoot? Usual suspects?
Again, THANK YOU:wave:

Not necessarily. When it slowly collapsed, the pressure in the hydraulics was just equalizing more than likely. I'm betting a relearn will solve the problem totally. Here's a PDF of how to do a relearn using TECH II

Attachments

• Folding Top Learn.pdf
    109.9 KB · Views: 206
Rexster is right, your hydraulics should be fine. Had the exact same thing happen to me (top slowly collapse into the trunk) while doing exactly what you were doing. Scared the poo out of me & I thought “I bet I’ve really messed up now because it’s out of cycle.” I got VERY lucky & didn’t have your problem, top went up & down fine & has been fine since.

I decided to leave lubricating the rubber alone after that .... more risk than reward.

Last edited:
FANTASTIC SOLUTION !!! :)

Found the answer!:party
All you have to do is, put both windows up...Press BOTH window up buttons for 5 seconds. Put BOTH windows down...press BOTH down buttons for 5 seconds. This resets the computer and you are ready to go.:wave: EASY!!!:blinzel:

Found the answer!:party
All you have to do is, put both windows up...Press BOTH window up buttons for 5 seconds. Put BOTH windows down...press BOTH down buttons for 5 seconds. This resets the computer and you are ready to go.:wave: EASY!!!:blinzel:

Well, you re-indexed the windows. Apparently you've had the battery disconnected which lets the car "forget" some settings like windows, memory seating, and sometimes radio favorites. As you found out, the top won't begin to work without the windows indexed, as that's the first step of the top operation, to make sure the windows are down to eliminate any binding of the roof operation. Much the same way as the windows make a slight downward movement when opening or closing the doors.

Did not disconnect battery

Did not disconnect battery. Just pushed the window buttons as described. It works. :)
Wish all problems had a cheap fix. I was ready with my TechII and manual but the buttons did it AMAZING!!!

THANK YOU ! : )

Not necessarily. When it slowly collapsed, the pressure in the hydraulics was just equalizing more than likely. I'm betting a relearn will solve the problem totally. Here's a PDF of how to do a relearn using TECH II[/QUO

Thanks so much for posting this link. Great Help for when we need it. Presently, as 'most' of our snow has finally melted, at least for now (?), I am in the process of shaking the cobwebs out of Goldie getting her ready for our Spring, if it ever really arrives? Great info. Thanks again. ;)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom