Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

DSC Not working

BusaMan

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
I'm new to this forum, but have been "lurking" for a while, and reading a lot. I haven't seen any posts about the particular problem we have experienced w/ the '06 XLR that we just bought.

The Driver Shift Control (DSC) doesn't seem to be working. There is no difference between operating in the "full auto" position, or in the "manual" position. The transmission will not shift up or down on command. All aspects of the "full auto" operation are nominal; it's just the "manual" (or "sport mode", as it's called in our SRX manual) operation that's not working.

When in "manual" mode, the light above the "D" position blinks when the shifter is moved forward. There is no corresponding action when the shifter is moved rearward. In neither case does the transmission shift on command. I really enjoy this DSC feature, when driving our SRX, and wish it worked on the XLR.

Any ideas? :confused:

My 04 had a very similar issue.

I'd picked it up from getting serviced at my local dealer and, when I hit the freeway and moved the gear selector to shift manually, nothing happened. The indicator did not light up in my HUD and the + and - signs were not lit up on the shifter. Are yours lit up?

It turned out that they had to remove the gear shifter for something and some little part in there broke. I got it repaired under warranty but it was an inexpensive part anyway.

Let me know if your lights aren't lit - I can probably dig out the service order and see what they did on mine.

That sure sounds like the same problem. No + - lights, no shifting, etc. The only light that comes on is the same one that's lit when you put it in plain old Drive.

If you can ID the part(s), that'd be great! I just took it into the local Caddy dealer, and they were kind of scratching their heads.

:rocker:

I finally found it. According to the work order, they replaced "K5225 Control Assembly, Floor Shift". The part # is 15217064, but I couldn't find anything out about it online. I hope it wasn't the whole thing..... I'll keep looking and let you know what I find....

That's the same part they replaced on mine when I had that problem 2 years ago, and yes, its the whole shifter console. Just to replace the two small electrical switches that make up the manual shifter.

Wow! I really appreciate you guys tracking this down. I took my XLR (Quick Ag) into Red Noland, in Colorado Springs. They diagnosed an issue w/ the transmission control module, but I sent them a note w/ the URL for this discussion and requested they look into your experiences. BTW, they really seem qualified on the XLR -- had an '06 XLR and an '07 XLR-V in the showroom, not to mention a poster of one by the service writer desks.

I'll let you guys know how this works out. So far, I'm impressed w/ them.

Tim

Wow! I really appreciate you guys tracking this down. I took my XLR (Quick Ag) into Red Noland, in Colorado Springs. They diagnosed an issue w/ the transmission control module, but I sent them a note w/ the URL for this discussion and requested they look into your experiences. BTW, they really seem qualified on the XLR -- had an '06 XLR and an '07 XLR-V in the showroom, not to mention a poster of one by the service writer desks.

I'll let you guys know how this works out. So far, I'm impressed w/ them.

Tim

Red Noland is one of the BEST in the country for XLR service, at least as far as I'm concerned. My top hydraulic line was leaking a few years ago on the way to the rendevous in San Antonio... had them replace the line and have had no trouble with it since. Even gave me a break on the labor!!!

As you all know, I have always said Red Noland is the best Cadillac dealer and James is the expert on the XLR. Even though I am in AZ I still keep in touch with all my friends at Red Noland.

According to the work order, they replaced "K5225 Control Assembly, Floor Shift". The part # is 15217064, <snip>.

Great call! I checked w/ Jason, the Assistant Service Manager at Red Noland, and that's exactly the part they're replacing. 3 for 3, y'all!!

They expect to have my car ready tomorrow, and (hopefully) they will have performed the required "wartectomies" to get 'er done right. Will let you know, for sure.

Thanks, one and all, for all the info. I really feel good about this site.

Tim

:rocker:

Well, time for a status update.

The problem w/ the DSC was that little switch that gets tripped when the shift lever is moved to the left. The switch had evidently broken off, so there was no way for the vehicle to know it was being put in manual mode. This $1 switch required the replacement of the entire shift mechanism ("For want of a nail, the shoe was lost...", etc.). I kept the replaced part to better understand how it works, and I can see where the switch was SUPPOSED to be. It's also enlightening to learn how the PARK lock works...

Now, QuickAg shifts like a dream and it's neat to see how the HUD displays the gear.

For those keeping track on how various dealers support the XLR, I have to say that Red Noland, in Colorado Springs, did a heckuva nice job for me. I also want to commend Cadillac of La Quinta, in California, for standing up to making the "warts" go away. They did "right" by us, as we all want our dealerships to do. :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, y'all.

Tim

Well, time for a status update.

The problem w/ the DSC was that little switch that gets tripped when the shift lever is moved to the left. The switch had evidently broken off, so there was no way for the vehicle to know it was being put in manual mode. This $1 switch required the replacement of the entire shift mechanism ("For want of a nail, the shoe was lost...", etc.). I kept the replaced part to better understand how it works, and I can see where the switch was SUPPOSED to be. It's also enlightening to learn how the PARK lock works...

Now, QuickAg shifts like a dream and it's neat to see how the HUD displays the gear.

For those keeping track on how various dealers support the XLR, I have to say that Red Noland, in Colorado Springs, did a heckuva nice job for me. I also want to commend Cadillac of La Quinta, in California, for standing up to making the "warts" go away. They did "right" by us, as we all want our dealerships to do. :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, y'all.

Tim

I know this is a decade old, but my problem is solely the DSC, I have gone in and taken apart the shifter and fished out what broke off-is it ONLY a small metal tab about 2 inches long? If so, where would this be mounted? I have been all over looking for where to mount this thing, I hope you can help so I can once again use the DSC.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom