Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Dyno results on 2006 XLR

steve246810

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Star black XLR, #221
Just added Corsa exhaust (sweet sound, not too loud, very calm until you punch it) and Volant cold air intake.
Base line on Car was rear wheel HP = 254.39 torque 257.41
Volant cold air increase to HP = 271.26 torque 276.69
Added Corsa (with Volant cold air of course it was on)
HP = 280.92 torque 279.17
All rating are actual rear wheel HP done on a Dynojet Winpep 7 model
You can feel this one in the seat of your pants.
Car feels like more muscle and sounds like it has some go.
Corsa exhaust out the back looks very cool, perfect fit.
Took it out on the highway for just a few minutes, absolutely no stinking DRONE. I'll post further on this subject with top down as I hate DRONE.
Also replaced the Dex-cool, did a major flush and did not put that nasty Dex-cool back in it (I've heard too many bad things about that stuff). Pain to flush as the Northstar had no block drains that we could find.
Also put a mobile 1 oil filter on it as it's supposed to be very compatible with the synthetic oil used in this.
With only 8,000 miles on the car, I did find some sediment in the Dex-cool fluid (was over the 5 year mark).
So far, I love this car it sure gets a lot of attention and I have allready been asked if I wanted to sell it.

Respectable numbers good to hear. Did they do any tuning or just switch everything out?

Just added Corsa exhaust (sweet sound, not too loud, very calm until you punch it) and Volant cold air intake.
Base line on Car was rear wheel HP = 254.39 torque 257.41
Volant cold air increase to HP = 271.26 torque 276.69
Added Corsa (with Volant cold air of course it was on)
HP = 280.92 torque 279.17
All rating are actual rear wheel HP done on a Dynojet Winpep 7 model
You can feel this one in the seat of your pants.
Car feels like more muscle and sounds like it has some go.
Corsa exhaust out the back looks very cool, perfect fit.
Took it out on the highway for just a few minutes, absolutely no stinking DRONE. I'll post further on this subject with top down as I hate DRONE.
Also replaced the Dex-cool, did a major flush and did not put that nasty Dex-cool back in it (I've heard too many bad things about that stuff). Pain to flush as the Northstar had no block drains that we could find.
Also put a mobile 1 oil filter on it as it's supposed to be very compatible with the synthetic oil used in this.
With only 8,000 miles on the car, I did find some sediment in the Dex-cool fluid (was over the 5 year mark).
So far, I love this car it sure gets a lot of attention and I have allready been asked if I wanted to sell it.

VERY COOL, Steve ... yep, my Corsa exhaust is my favorite upgrade! You'll love 'em! And yes, the tips look awesome too.

Can't wait to see pictures. :rocker:

more info on upgrade

No tuning was done to the car at all, just parts swap.

I see all those adds with huge HP gains on air filters and exhaust systems and I feel they are greatly overstated.

The numbers that came of the dyno seems to be in line and are reasonable to me. If you can bring more air into the engine and have the capacity to exhaust it without much restriction I'm thinking you should see a gain of 5% up to 10% (depending on how much restriction the factory put in these items when built).

Understanding the XLR is a luxury car, built with the lluxury buyer in mind, my thoughts are the factory probably paid more attention to "quiet" than performance, which makes perfect sense to me.

First highway run, 110 mile loop, filled up at same pump, no stops, used about 4.2 to 4.4 gallons of premium. That puts it at around 25 MPG and that was at a steady 65 MPH cruise control on.

I'll post more on this when I get more info, I was really hoping to get high 20's on the highway.

Performance is up and it's more fun to drive. It would be reallly interesting to have 1/4 mile times, but this car probably won't see the drag strip

Where did you find the Volant? I guess no problems with throwing codes?

I'd heard the Volant wasn't available anymore, & that trying CAI's on our cars results in a code throwing party. Good to hear both might be false.

The Corsa exhaust is definitely awesome.

Volant info

Amazon.com: Volant 25846150 Cool Air Intake Kit: Automotive
Here is a link to amazon sight priced at $291.58. I bought mine on ebay from I'll bet the same seller, he has a pricing error in his e-bay listing now for like 4.9k (got to be a screw up). MVP was seller name and I got a super quick shipment, brand new in box.
I saw a lot of these for 400 to 500 bucks, so this was best price.

Did not throw any codes, that is bad info, it's a bolt on. Now to make is easier you need a 1/2 x 3/8 hose barb ELBOW to hook the PVC line back up the simple way. I didn't find one so my installer rigged up a shrink fit line and it ended up looking good, but added about 10 bucks to the set up.

The only 1/2 x 3/8 hose barb elbow I found was at True value hardware ($1.30), but it was white and I found it too late. I was unable to find any plastic fitting (in black) elbow. They call this a reducer eblow and it is not a common item anywhere. I spent about an hour on line looking and just got lucky at the True Value hardware store. If you need me to, I'll dig out the package and get the part number.

Now you can hear a little intake noise only when you punch it, so if you don't want that, don't do it. It is not loud, but you can hear it (I think it's cool, but I like performance stuff).

Hope that helps

Volant does list the XLR's on their website anymore, but you might want to contact them. Also found this site that lists both Base XLR and the XLR-V:

www.volant-intakes.com

Anyone interested in one for a V, PM or email me; I have a used one with the original filters (cleaned & oiled) for $150.00 with free shipping. I recently changed my intake to the D3 Stage 1 & 2

Where did you find the Volant? I guess no problems with throwing codes?

I'd heard the Volant wasn't available anymore, & that trying CAI's on our cars results in a code throwing party. Good to hear both might be false.

The Corsa exhaust is definitely awesome.

Thanks guys for all the detailed info! It's a big help on something I've been interested in for a while.

Ok, so Now I want one too! I have the Corsa exhaust and K&N but if I can bolt on 15 to 20 more HP - - - I WANT IT TOO! :worship:

Steve: that link you had does not work any more, likely an expired listing. I checked Cubby's listing, it was $322. including shipping but then my hubby found this link on Ebay, they have 10 available @$294.13 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290622836731&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

It says for 2005 thru 2007 but I am fairly sure my 2009 is the same is it not? DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE???

Sandy,

There should be no reason why it would not work on your '09, there were no changes, with the exception of the different front and rear fascia's and the V hood being used on all models. They are also very easy to install.

Thanks for your thoughts Cubby. I asked on the forum for pictures from non-V's a half hour ago but no one seems to be online with any. I am going to order it, I'm sure it will fit.

picture

I just shot some on non V car. will try to post if i can figure it out

I posted else where forgot but if you like the chrome look you can make your own with spectre parts on eBay. There are 4 pieces that make it up. If you want to see pics. Look under technical section like page 3 by cam99 called DIY intake look down like #13 it's a V but don't look at the dual intake part. Pretty much everything in front of the mass air meter is the same. Mass air is piece that has wires going to it right when the two filters come to the one tube before the throttle body. Parts and filters will total under 150.00.

This Was Just Too Funny

Gotta love the Corsa Exhaust :rocker:
About 3-4 weeks ago Wendy & I was headed over to Gettysburg and these young kids slowly pulled out in front of me, it was at a passing zone, I was only cuzin about 45-50 But I didn't want to slam on the brakes so I looked ahead an seen no body coming, So I floored it as we went out around them and it kicked down into passing gear, I looked over and the guy in the passenger seat was holding his hand over his ears, I just love the awesome crack the Corsa Exhaust makes, we were both still :laugh: LAUGHING OUR A$$ES OFF :laugh:when we got into Gettysburg!
I CAN STILL SEE THAT GUY WITH HIS HANDS OVER HIS EARS!
"JUST TOO FUNNY"
Caddyman Dan

gas mileage

It's up for sure.

I'll put in more detail shortly, but at least 1-2 MPG.

Sure sounds kick ass when you punch it!!!

Cubby I have the d-3 and programer also. I am curious why you changed and the results. I am ecstatic with mine.

Volant does list the XLR's on their website anymore, but you might want to contact them. Also found this site that lists both Base XLR and the XLR-V:

www.volant-intakes.com

Anyone interested in one for a V, PM or email me; I have a used one with the original filters (cleaned & oiled) for $150.00 with free shipping. I recently changed my intake to the D3 Stage 1 & 2

Thanks for the picture, I have gone ahead and ordered it! ;)

I changed to the D3, as it's less restrictive than the stock intake and I found a deal I couldn't refuse.:lol::lol: Haven't had the car out much to notice the difference yet, but you can hear the supercharger whine.:):) I'll probably get it dyno'd just to see the numbers in the future.

Cubby I have the d-3 and programer also. I am curious why you changed and the results. I am ecstatic with mine.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom