Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

finally found something I don't like about my XLR

CanadianViking

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
finally found something I don't like about my XLR - not sure if this happens to others but whenever I wash the XLR, even with a good dry, after I drive for a bit water comes out from around the rear trunk and streaks across the bumper. always seems to be dirty water to boot and makes my otherwise clean XLR look dirty.

You just need to drive faster - that will take care of it!

Kidding - have you tried raising your trunk after you wash & wiping all around its edges? That helps A LOT with mine, although depending on how wet the trunk deck is, a little water will drip into the trunk off the edges closest to the front of the car.

I haven't solved the problem of water running out from behind the sideview mirrors yet ...

I have a (Craftsman) shop vac with a detachable motor that functions as a blower. I also use deionized water (Industrial setup, but surprisingly affordable), but that's a little extreme I guess. Anyhow, try using the blower. You can use something like this Metro Vac 'n Blo, but mine does the same job.
Adam's Polishes - Adam's Vac N' Blo Compact Wall Mount by MetroVac
Hope it helps.
Bruce

I have a (Craftsman) shop vac with a detachable motor that functions as a blower. I also use deionized water (Industrial setup, but surprisingly affordable), but that's a little extreme I guess. Anyhow, try using the blower. You can use something like this Metro Vac 'n Blo, but mine does the same job.
Hope it helps.
Bruce

We use one of those filter things too, got it from Costco. We have those compact blowers too, they are great for the motorcycles but we found them lacking on the car: too narrow of a blow for the wide areas of the body....... but they are great for those water catching spots. What we find does the best overall job is a Stihl leaf blower, shortened the tube a bit: it works great! :)

We use one of those filter things too, got it from Costco. We have those compact blowers too, they are great for the motorcycles but we found them lacking on the car: too narrow of a blow for the wide areas of the body....... but they are great for those water catching spots. What we find does the best overall job is a Stihl leaf blower, shortened the tube a bit: it works great! :)

I have contemplated a leaf blower but am afraid of what it might blow through it at my car, since it is not filtered. Any thoughts on that?

I purchased a leaf blower that is designated for drying our cars and nothing else. Also I dry the trunk edge and track after washing.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Hope it helps.
Bruce

Bruce have you tried their Detail Spray it's the best I found! I like it better than even Zaino's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

You just need to drive faster - that will take care of it!

Kidding - have you tried raising your trunk after you wash & wiping all around its edges? That helps A LOT with mine, although depending on how wet the trunk deck is, a little water will drip into the trunk off the edges closest to the front of the car.

I haven't solved the problem of water running out from behind the sideview mirrors yet ...

after i wash and dry mine. I raise the hood, trunk, and open the doors. I wipe the edges 2 and 3 x because especially with the trunk, water still runs down the sides. It seems to get caught in the rubber edges. Then i let the tunk stay open atleast 5-10 min while i work on the wheels or other parts of the car to dry.

I purchased a leaf blower that is designated for drying our cars and nothing else. Also I dry the trunk edge and track after washing.

Might have to try that. Is it any kind of leaf blower? I have a regular blower in the garage :dunno:

Might have to try that. Is it any kind of leaf blower? I have a regular blower in the garage :dunno:

Just your run of the mill, garden variety gas powered leaf blower. Purchased it at Home Depot a few years back for about $60.00. One tip every once in awhile it's good to vacuum the centrifuge/impeller out to make sure there are not any particles in there that might blow out.

I've been using a backpack blower to dry my motorcycle for years it's the best and only way to get water out of all the crevices. I also use it on my cars for the mirrors and gaps. I always wipe down the jambs etc. The hardest is the bottom corners of the rear window. Seems water collect there no matter how long you wait. Leaf blowers work great,wouldn't worry about what the blower is blowing unless your washing her off on a gravel drive.:confused:

what i don`t like about the xlr

What I hate about my XLR are the dirty, noisy, stinkie axx diesel trucks that I find or, that find me.

What I hate about my XLR are the dirty, noisy, stinkie axx diesel trucks that I find or, that find me.

Be nice to have a blower that would blow THAT back on THEM!

I use my Master Blaster to dry my car, I love it!!

Drying Your Car With Master Blaster Car Dryer | Auto Detail

At one time I did use a gas leaf blower, but the fumes gagged me, it was heavy, and hard to handle! The Blaster is much better, and the air stream is more concentrated. Works great to get the water out of the side mirrors. One of the best things I've ever bought!

P.S. Also works great to blow the dirt/dust out of the refrigerator or freezer coils. But be prepared to clean up all the dust! :lol:

I've noticed a couple times after I wash mine. That there are blue marks at the rocker panels of the car they are fine scratches but some of them are blue. The other area of concern is the middle of the back bumper. There is a faint line that looks like a fade mark.
I guess this should be in another topic area but right now I can't think of a good subject area. It's not that I don't like but it's just a pupils concerned areas on my xlr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

water collects and sits in the rubber gasket at the base of the roof section where it joins the trunk lid You can seperate the rubber and put in a section of paper towels pressed in firmly with your fingers to soak up the water. Lots of dirt collects in this channel and that can discolor water. I always wipe mine clean with Meguires professional vinyl and rubber cleaner/conditioner #40. It does a good job. It also is supposed to provide UV protection. I use this on all the vinyl and rubber. It does not leave a greasy residue. Does great for the top of door rubber next to the glass. If you haven't wiped some of these areas down in awhile your cloth will come up coated with black residue. I use a very small 2 inch by 2 -3inch piece of terry cloth or piece of old light weight wash cloth to apply and have to use more than one depending on when I last did these areas. Safe on paint. I use it all over the engine bay areas. keeps it looking new. Oh-Oh gave away my car show secrets! Part of the fun is keeping them looking pretty:wave:

Jack

water collects and sits in the rubber gasket at the base of the roof section where it joins the trunk lid You can seperate the rubber and put in a section of paper towels pressed in firmly with your fingers to soak up the water. Lots of dirt collects in this channel and that can discolor water. I always wipe mine clean with Meguires professional vinyl and rubber cleaner/conditioner #40. It does a good job. It also is supposed to provide UV protection. I use this on all the vinyl and rubber. It does not leave a greasy residue. Does great for the top of door rubber next to the glass. If you haven't wiped some of these areas down in awhile your cloth will come up coated with black residue. I use a very small 2 inch by 2 -3inch piece of terry cloth or piece of old light weight wash cloth to apply and have to use more than one depending on when I last did these areas. Safe on paint. I use it all over the engine bay areas. keeps it looking new. Oh-Oh gave away my car show secrets! Part of the fun is keeping them looking pretty:wave:

Jack

Why use an OLD WASH CLOTH on such a MASTERPIECE?:blinzel:

You must be married, which is a HUGH buz kill for owners of these cars.:chuckle

The only other car I owned that was as good of a chick magnet was my 1959 Blue with a white top Caddilac Sedan de Ville. I was only 21 and I think that car was what turned me into the womanizer I am today!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Let me explain the brilliance of the plan. A small 2 to 3 inch section of terry or old light weight (thin-cheap) wash cloth wrapped around a couple of fingers allows me to apply the cleaner to just the rubber without bothering the painted surfaces. Think delicate control. The wash cloth texture is just aggressive enough to remove the grime without harming the rubber, vinyl or plastic or paint. One of those fake heavy cardboard credit cards one gets in the mail can be used to slip between the paint job and rubber (or more importantly, glass and rubber) to further protect the paint and glass. It’s a process of loving care and admiration. I’m constantly amazed at my privilege to play with such a machine.
Yes, I am married. I’m too old to be concerned about chick magnets. However, been there-done that with a 1970 Firebird Formula 400 which I still have. As a matter of fact, my lovely wife, Lynda, is the owner of the XLR. She caught me you see. (tongue –in-cheek, Although she would agree.) All in good fun. :chuckle

I look forward to seeing you at BG and swapping chick magnet stories.:beerchug:

Jack
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Let me explain the brilliance of the plan. A small 2 to 3 inch section of terry or old light weight (thin-cheap) wash cloth wrapped around a couple of fingers allows me to apply the cleaner to just the rubber without bothering the painted surfaces. Think delicate control. The wash cloth texture is just aggressive enough to remove the grime without harming the rubber, vinyl or plastic or paint. One of those fake heavy cardboard credit cards one gets in the mail can be used to slip between the paint job and rubber (or more importantly, glass and rubber) to further protect the paint and glass. It’s a process of loving care and admiration. I’m constantly amazed at my privilege to play with such a machine.
Yes, I am married. I’m too old to be concerned about chick magnets. However, been there-done that with a 1970 Firebird Formula 400 which I still have. As a matter of fact, my lovely wife, Lynda, is the owner of the XLR. She caught me you see. (tongue –in-cheek, Although she would agree.) All in good fun. :chuckle

Jack
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Yes, we have got to get together because in the poker realm, we'll be OPENERS!:beerchug:

My muscle car was a 1966 Dodge Charger w/383 High Performance Police Interceptor power train and a high speed rear end. I got arrested and the car was impounded less than a month after I bought it for doing 175 mph out in the high desert here in CA. There were no police or highway patrol any where in sight but there was a helo that clocked me and when I got to Highway 14, the highway patrol was waiting for me.
I did get my car back and was fined and the whole thing cost me a little more than the $3,300.00 I paid for the car.:stupid:

Jack

We in the same boat Jack, except I had to sell my chick magnet (1973 ElCamino - 350 headers, side pipes, wire spoked wheel, 10" Goodyears on the back) you know the drill - kids, house payment and the biggest problem my wife had those loud side pipes and no room for the baby which is now the oldest is 30! LOL.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dan Gouker

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry