Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fuel gauge stuck at 2/3 full

Techron concentration

From the Chevron web site.

• What is the difference between Techron[SUP]®[/SUP] at the pump and Techron Concentrate Plus in the bottle?
    The principal difference is additive concentration and rate of deposit clean-up. Gasolines with Techron over multiple fill-ups will help clean deposits on intake valves and minimize harmful combustion chambers deposits. When added to a full tank of gasoline, a bottle of Techron[SUP]®[/SUP] Concentrate Plus results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger. This mega-dose of Techron provides a much quicker clean up of intake valve deposits left by lower quality gasolines. In addition, the high concentration of Techron reduces combustion chamber deposits, which can help eliminate deposit-related engine knock.

• Is gasoline with Techron[SUP]®[/SUP] just a more diluted version of Techron Concentrate Plus?
    No. While both based on polyetheramine chemistry, each is optimized for its particular application. Gasolines containing Techron helps clean engine deposits left by low quality gasolines and helps keep engines clean through regular use of a lower additive dose, while a bottle of Techron[SUP]®[/SUP] Concentrate Plus added to your fuel tank provides a quicker clean-up of deposits left by lower-quality gasoline, through a higher additive dose.

Wikipedia:
    Techron is a patented fuel additive developed by the Chevron Corporation, usually consisting of gasoline mixed with 400 ppm of polyetheramine.

So there is some data. Seems to me that a constant diet of Chevron, or maybe Texaco, may help prevent the problem, but may be lacking the concentration to fix an existing problem. Maybe it does, who really knows? Depending on the convenience and price at a Chevron station you may be better off to buy a bottle periodically and use a different fuel. Overkill or not, it is not a major expense.

Will some other product also help with the issue? Maybe. Will half a bottle work as well? Maybe. IMHO, there seems to be enough evidence that Techron does work. Why argue with success? Just be thankful there is a cheap potential fix to what could be a costly repair and you know about it.

I recommend adding any additive before filling up after running the fuel level down to about 1/4 tank, below 1/2 tank for sure. This will help with an even concentration across both tanks. Remember, the right tank empties first then you start using fuel from the left tank. The left tank fills first then the right using overflow from the left tank.

fuel gauge

Hi gang, i am experiencing the same problem with my 05, dealer replaced once but problem returned. The ground issue is good advice as the XLR seems very sensitive to grounding.I have tried the chevron fuel additive but no success. I think I am going to take to dealer and instruct them to clean and secure all grounding straps (undercarriage) Cant hurt

You may want to try it yourself if you're moderately handy. Just jack up the car and take off the driver's side rear wheel - the ground (to the frame) is just behind it, towards the rear of the car. You can't miss it. Pull the ground strap off, clean everything, then reassemble. It might save you the trip to the dealer!

Hi gang, i am experiencing the same problem with my 05, dealer replaced once but problem returned. The ground issue is good advice as the XLR seems very sensitive to grounding.I have tried the chevron fuel additive but no success. I think I am going to take to dealer and instruct them to clean and secure all grounding straps (undercarriage) Cant hurt

After a couple hours of research my 05 ended up being a connector erosion so the ones you can get to you may want to check for poor connection. The garage did not mention which or where they found it at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Just to be clear. The corrosion problem is the connections inside the tank. Wires going to the sending units. Don't think you'll try yourself. The ground issue is exposed and can be checked and cleaned fairly easily.

No they found my outside wiring they did NOT drop the tanks on mine!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

ground straps

You may want to try it yourself if you're moderately handy. Just jack up the car and take off the driver's side rear wheel - the ground (to the frame) is just behind it, towards the rear of the car. You can't miss it. Pull the ground strap off, clean everything, then reassemble. It might save you the trip to the dealer!

Your right , I am a good mechanic but currently living in Hollywood with no tools or a place to safely work, so off tho the dealer, I have found a great Chevy dealer that has experienced XLR techs (rare) have used them the last few time i needed service.
Thanks for the response
Steve

Thanks Rich! My fuel gauge has been stuck since last fall. I moves from 3/4 to 1/4 ... when it's at half - it pretty much is half full. I just set the tripometer and fill up about 250 miles or so. I've tried the additive a few times, nothing. This started when I decided to switch to "premium" fuel last year, instead of just regular unleaded that I had been using. I just figured, - she's got 185K miles on her, maybe the premium will help baby her... guess not. I've switched back to regular unleaded this year.

I will try the ground strap this weekend - I sure hope it works - don't feel like spending $2K to fix a fuel gauge that may come back again.

Hope you are doing well - long time no talk (to anyone here - crazy busy this year).

Dave

Hey Dave good to see here again. Just want to say that is weird I did the same thing when we went on a trip to Hilton Head SC last spring. I figure I'd run some premium and added SeaFoam to give her a good cleaning while long driving time is good time to do that! Around Georgia area filled up later down the road about 10 miles noticed it was only showing a half a tank! Turn up a connection somewhere to tank was corroded and it's been fine since! Glad it was not in the tank! THATS ONE HECK OF JOB! Good luck stop by here and say hi once and while miss seeing you on here!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I know it's a price hike. But Ever since I've owned mine I've used premium in her. Don't want to take the chance in having anything go wrong
I've read the book and that's what they recommended. So I'm not switching. So I guess this the price we all have to pay to drive luxury.

Last edited:
The two ground points on the rear of the chassis have been known to get corroded and cause different kinds of problems. Disassemble and cleaning is a good idea. Don't forget the dielectric grease to help prevent future corrosion.

Ok I don't know if this is the right area to post this. But I did a bad thing. Well I hope not to bad. My check Gage's came on on my HUD. It said low fuel. I think I had a minimum of maybe 5 miles. I was inches to the red mark. So There was a gas station about a mile or less from where I was. I put in my credit card and put the nosel in the gas area. I started to fill up, then put my card in my wallet. I guess I selected the low grade instead of the premium. My question is will that hurt the engine or am I good for this one time? I had a very rough night and am blaming lack of sleep on this mistake. My mom had surgery on her hand and had to take her very early in the morning for her appointment.

I believe, the knock sensors between the cylinders will cause the system to reduce the spark advance to compensate and eliminate the knock. Of course you will lose horsepower which is something you don't use day to day anyway.

Ok I don't know if this is the right area to post this. But I did a bad thing. Well I hope not to bad. My check Gage's came on on my HUD. It said low fuel. I think I had a minimum of maybe 5 miles. I was inches to the red mark. So There was a gas station about a mile or less from where I was. I put in my credit card and put the nosel in the gas area. I started to fill up, then put my card in my wallet. I guess I selected the low grade instead of the premium. My question is will that hurt the engine or am I good for this one time? I had a very rough night and am blaming lack of sleep on this mistake. My mom had surgery on her hand and had to take her very early in the morning for her appointment.

Thanks. This was the first time of making this mistake.
I blame it on sleep deprivation

Since you are in a base model, don't sweat it. I would just take it easy for this tank.

From the manual:

If your vehicle has the 4.6L V8 engine (VIN Code A), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration could be slightly reduced, and you might notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. If the octane
is less than 87, you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you could damage the engine. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service.

Ok. Thanks for the advise. I'll take it easy and not rev it as much

High octane preferred

Mix in 91 as soon as possible to up the octane. I've heard in Bowling Green that the computer will adjust itself to a change in winter 7 summer gas & also a lower octane but is not suggested for the long haul. sleep tight :blinzel:

Ok. Thanks for the advise. I'll take it easy and not rev it as much

Knock occurs (more) under heavy load at low revs, so using higher revs and less throttle is the way to reduce knock. To do this you might need to shift manually and slightly delay shifting up. The PCM will also detect knock and do its best to stop it (by retarding the ignition timing). Over time, excessive knock will cause serious damage to the piston crowns, they will spall (flake) off. As already mentioned by others, adding the highest rated gas you can will offset the wrong gas.

This was the first and only time I switched to regular gas. So as for now nothing has happened. No knocking sounds yet. Like I said I was really tired that afternoon and if it wasn't for food then I wouldn't have gone out.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back