Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! GM DEXOS replaces Mobil 1

Looks like its a new classification to more narrow the choices GM will approve. Heck, they should have went the path Ford is on with its high performance engines. There is only one oil that meets the specs; their oil.

I wouldn't put Quaker State oil in my lawn mower.

If you look under the licensed brands of your link Floyd, you will see that Mobil 1 is listed. So I guess there really is no change, only more choices. I be sure they continue to use Mobil 1 in mine when I go for oil changes.

Just never had much faith in Quaker State; Of course it's all driven by whata you get used to. I grew up running Shell's Rotella T in all our tractors, diesel trucks engines and our cars/trucks.

Most of my high performance S/C'ed engines I've run Amsoil in, but now Ford has narrowed the specs on the GT500 to the point the only oil they will accept is their own 5-50w synthetic, so I use it.

If you look under the licensed brands of your link Floyd, you will see that Mobil 1 is listed. So I guess there really is no change, only more choices. I be sure they continue to use Mobil 1 in mine when I go for oil changes.

Yes, Mobil 1 is, in fact, listed, but I don't think it's the Mobil 1 we've been using. I believe the formula has changed. Look for the new logo along with the original name. One of the reasons I believe this to be true is the mention that this oil will show up at GM dealers in Sept. 2010, so, it's already there.

Also there is this quote on the Dexos site:

Companies interested in becoming licensed to produce and market the dexos1 and/or dexos2 formulations must submit a request for qualification of their proposed formulations to the Center for Quality Assurance. The Center will then respond with the assessed royalty fees, Form D2 dexos™ Licensing Program Policies and Procedures and next steps, including documentation that needs to be completed. So that any company that would like to supply engine oil for use in GM vehicles has that opportunity, the program allows two types of licenses; one for blenders and one for rebranders.

Approved formulations can be obtained from additive suppliers. Today, there are three that have formulations approved for use in dexos1™, dexos2™ or both. These are Afton, Infineum and Lubrizol. Contact your respective representative for assistance on the best formulation for you.

Also:

http://corvettemechanic.com/forum/4850-gm-dexos-replaces-mobil-1-a.html

Well at least they are using a lubricant...

Very true - no lube when they sold us our two XLR's or the Corvette. :laugh:

With those kind of sales, only a greedy, rearward-thinking company could go broke.................Oh yea; they did. :squint:

Very true - no lube when they sold us our two XLR's or the Corvette. :laugh:

With those kind of sales, only a greedy, rearward-thinking company could go broke.................Oh yea; they did. :squint:

No one forced you to buy those cars. If it was so bad why did you buy them? A man with your intelligence should have stopped with the first purchase.:)

No one forced you to buy those cars. If it was so bad why did you buy them? A man with your intelligence should have stopped with the first purchase.:)

Nice one Bruce - Good shot.

I was commenting on their price, not their quality - but since you brought it up - both XLR's were in the shop more than on the road.

The Corvette was a nice ride, but expensive, like the XLR's.

Many of the new members here are not experiencing the same sticker shock their car's original owners saw. $75,000 is alot of money to pay for a car and a whole lot to pay out twice and experience poor quality and repeated part failures.

With hindsight we should have stopped with the first one, but like most Americans we wanted to buy American. Unfortunately GM treated us much like they did their dealers and their employees, their investors and their retirees.

But hey, now they are recovering, thanks to the American and Canadian taxpayers.

Nice one Bruce - Good shot.

I was commenting on their price, not their quality - but since you brought it up - both XLR's were in the shop more than on the road.

The Corvette was a nice ride, but expensive, like the XLR's.

Many of the new members here are not experiencing the same sticker shock their car's original owners saw. $75,000 is alot of money to pay for a car and a whole lot to pay out twice and experience poor quality and repeated part failures.

With hindsight we should have stopped with the first one, but like most Americans we wanted to buy American. Unfortunately GM treated us much like they did their dealers and their employees, their investors and their retirees.

But hey, now they are recovering, thanks to the American and Canadian taxpayers.
Bare with me but this is what I believe, The reason I think the entire automotive market is having so many problems with there cars is Free trade and these countries there giving there business to are unable to perform to what everyone got use to its way below what someone would expect. This was sited by Toyota when they had there problems. Everything is done on the cheap. Years ago most people said "you get what you pay for". The Corvette you had was a 2005 and that was the first year they had the C6. I have always found to stay clear of the first year of anything. I dont agree with you on the cost the Corvette for a Sportscar it is not overpriced and this is a fact based upon what you are getting for the type car your buying. Most cars that the Corvette is matched with as far as performance cost alot more than the Corvette and offer much less to the buyer.

You have been down on GM since I can remember which it has been a very long time. I have come to the conclusion that you must have lost money when they went under. BTW, the Government forced them into Bankruptcy they fought through all this for the sake of there employees and investors. The fact of there cars were not good had absolutely nothing to do with there failure it was because the enconmy and financial market went under and no one was and continues to spend there money to include the financial network not giving out loans.

Speedway

Not to get into a debate about which oil is the best or better but... If you had 10 engines with different oil in each of them , ran them them same, and changed the oil every 5K miles would there really be any measurable difference in wear?

Not likely. Today's engine components are stronger, lighter and better fitted reducing friction and heat. Today's lubricants are better formulated and multi-viscosity characteristics better match the oil's flow rate to the engine temperature making them much more efficient.

Most of my miles are straight freeway driving. 120 miles per day minimum, 60 miles each way with only one stop sign between home and the office. Based on that,I changed the oil in my C6 the first time at 8,000 miles and every 15,000 after that.

On the GT500 I change it every 12,000 miles.

Bare with me but this is what I believe, The reason I think the entire automotive market is having so many problems with there cars is Free trade and these countries there giving there business to are unable to perform to what everyone got use to its way below what someone would expect. This was sited by Toyota when they had there problems. Everything is done on the cheap. Years ago most people said "you get what you pay for". The Corvette you had was a 2005 and that was the first year they had the C6. I have always found to stay clear of the first year of anything. I dont agree with you on the cost the Corvette for a Sportscar it is not overpriced and this is a fact based upon what you are getting for the type car your buying. Most cars that the Corvette is matched with as far as performance cost alot more than the Corvette and offer much less to the buyer.

You have been down on GM since I can remember which it has been a very long time. I have come to the conclusion that you must have lost money when they went under. BTW, the Government forced them into Bankruptcy they fought through all this for the sake of there employees and investors. The fact of there cars were not good had absolutely nothing to do with there failure it was because the enconmy and financial market went under and no one was and continues to spend there money to include the financial network not giving out loans.

Speedway

At no time, anywhere on this forum or on the Corvette forum will you hear me bad-mouthing the performance or the build quality of my C6. I enjoyed the car, it provided me with almost 60,000 miles of trouble-free, maintenance-free motoring miles. The only thing I ever did to the car was change the oil and replace the tires. The painted top did de-laminate, which was a huge issue with the early C6's, but my dealer repaired it and it held together until I sold the car. I may of stated at some point my current GT500 out-performs it, however it has over 200 hp on it, so thats a given.

The 2 XLR's were not bought used, we paid sticker on the 2004 ($70,000+) sticker price on the 2007 limited edition XLR was $80,000.

For that kind of money you expect build quality on par with the Corvette; however with both cars the problems were severe enough GM bought them back with out a fight.

Just for the record, I did not lose money when GM went under, only a fool invested money with GM or held their stock much past 2007. Good investors knew the company was in trouble and walked away when GM made it very clear they were continuing to support a losing management team and its failed vision for the future.

Also - the government did not force GM into bankruptcy, they got there all on their own. Their arrogance and lack of long-range planning is what got them into trouble.

Fred - I honestly don't have a clue as to where you get some of the things you post. :(

....Just for the record, I did not lose money when GM went under, only a fool invested money with GM or held their stock ......

Fred - I honestly don't have a clue as to where you get some of the things you post. :(

Re: Paragraph 1 ......That would have been me :silly:

Re: Paragraph 2 ...... Because he comes to his own "conclusions" and then makes accusations out of them.

QUOTE: You have been down on GM since I can remember which it has been a very long time. I have come to the conclusion that you must have lost money when they went under.

This thread should be moved to The Edge .... where our opinions are acceptable and debatable - because I thought we've all just been told to knock off the flaming.

You held that stock for sentimental reasons, as did many devoted GM folks, retiress, etc.

Also is the same reason financial advisors are telling GM retirees to avoid buying any of the 5% of stock set aside by GM for retirees to purchase.

You held that stock for sentimental reasons, as did many devoted GM folks, retiress, etc.

Also is the same reason financial advisors are telling GM retirees to avoid buying any of the 5% of stock set aside by GM for retirees to purchase.

Well, I also :patriot: and bought some more GM while it was going into the dumpster ..... :pat: .... I did get out without losing toooooo much - BUT on the upside .... I felt the same way about Ford :patriot: and it has made 5X my investment ... Hey, cest' la vie ...... I was just playing around pretending to be a daytrader with a few dollars that was left from my deflated 401 .... It was fun. I'm still trading now and then ... I win some, I lose some .... and I'm having fun ..... I love the stock market .... well, not today so much :D

If you bought Ford stock when it was trading at less than 2 bucks a share last year, and still have it ( :cool: ) you are one smart investor.

The key will be projecting the right point to sell for profits sake. I don't believe it will gain much more, and with the market's volatility setting on "high", you could turn a tidy profit.

If you bought Ford stock when it was trading at less than 2 bucks a share last year, and still have it ( :cool: ) you are one smart investor.

The key will be projecting the right point to sell for profits sake. I don't believe it will gain much more, and with the market's volatility setting on "high", you could turn a tidy profit.

Yeah ... got it for a buck eighty-eight....
I should have sold last week went it topped 17 ... but .... I'm ever the optimist.....I read a couple of articles over time written by a guy that knows a guy (you know how the story goes) that is a big-wig overseas and he projects Ford to hit $70 in 2012 .... well, I'm not counting on THAT .... but, for the most part I've seen the ups and downs for a couple of years, and I think I'll just sit on it for awhile .... I think its a keeper. Again, I've choked on feathers before .... so, I'm not afraid to wait.

BTW many people are liking it's bottom right now and snapping it up for long term ....

I THINK had I gotten a better education in economics I would have really enoyed a career in playing the stocks .... Now I like it ..... 30 years ago I was too busy trying to make ends meet (they never do) .... :lol:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom