Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hello im New to the Forum n Need Help with 08 XLR

Luv4XLR

Hello i am New to the Forum n look foward to getting to know the Community.
Last Year I acquired a Red/Shale Base 2008 XLR 85k miles with Vogue Tires it runs great n looks amazing but it does have a slight oil leak in the front of the Car.
The leak Only happens when the car is sitting for long periods of time but when i drive it theres Not a drop.
Is there any good XLR technicians near Woodland Hills California that i can trust to help take care of my XLR without costing me a arm n leg...?!?

Thanks
John

Last Year I acquired a Red/Shale Base 2008 XLR 85k miles with Vogue Tires it runs great n looks amazing but it does have a slight oil leak in the front of the Car.
The leak Only happens when the car is sitting for long periods of time but when i drive it theres Not a drop.
Is there any good XLR technicians near Woodland Hills California that i can trust to help take care of my XLR without costing me a arm n leg...?!?

Thanks
John
Luv4XLR, I know LA is quite a hike to Palm Springs but the Cadillac dealer there is excellent and has a couple of techs that really know these cars. I have an 06, Red/Shale with Vogue Tires. I find the tires are hard and next winter I plan on changing them out. Enjoy your car. They are great.
John F.

Thanks
John

John-

I’m right across the valley from you in Granada Hills. I have my 2006 XLR-V serviced at Dave’s 60 Minute Tune on Balboa just north of Rinaldi here in GH. Dave has owned both XLR’s as well as an STS-V. They’ve solved computer issues that kept triggering my CEL, replaced my shocks/struts, my brakes and performs all my basic maintenance.
I have also taken it to Parkway Cadillac when I’ve had issues with the top and when I needed my radiator replaced.
My car is under warranty until the end of this year.
60 Minute Tune - 39 Reviews - Auto Repair - 11920 Balboa Blvd - Granada Hills, CA - Phone Number - Yelp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your new toy!

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard!

:wave:
This is a great place for technical advice and my go to place for getting questions answered!

Thanks
John

Welcome aboard. Hope you have as much fun with your new to you xlr as we do with our xlrs.

Welcome! : )

Glad to have you on the site.

FYI, Rule62 that answered your post has an excellent mechanic that he knows, likes and trusts. From past posts, I learned that in your area, he "went through the drill" with various Tecs and Cadillac Dealers, and then found the one he recommends.

In all probability it is the front timing cover that is leaking/dripping oil. They seem to be prone to this at this location on the car. I.e., near the front, just behind the front bumper and radiator. Two years ago I changed the gasket on mine myself. It is a real PIA job. Requires a special puller for the Harmonic Balancer removal. I borrowed one from a friend who is a Cadillac Tec. Must drain the cooling system and pull the radiator, fans, etc. It irritates me that the factory won't use a skim coat of RTV Sealer on gasket matting surfaces. --- FYI, you might first try to just snug down the bolts a bit on The Timing Chain Cover? Worth a shot before major surgery. The case is aluminum, so don't overtighten them! Just snug them down a smiggen. If they are already 'bottomed' do not tighten more! Aluminum (soft metal) may strip threads and can break fairly easily.

Again, welcome aboard.

I think you May Be Refering to Jessup Cadillac?

Luv4XLR, I know LA is quite a hike to Palm Springs but the Cadillac dealer there is excellent and has a couple of techs that really know these cars. I have an 06, Red/Shale with Vogue Tires. I find the tires are hard and next winter I plan on changing them out. Enjoy your car. They are great.
John F.

Really a small World sometimes. :) Four years ago I bought The Eldorado Convertible (stored) in Palm Springs. I called around to have it inspected before we flew in to finalize the sale. Jessup Cadillac said they'd inspect it for me. That they'd have to have the car all day to go through everything. I emailed them pictures of it from Colorado. And made arrangements with the caretaker of the car in Palm Springs. Told the Service Manager that I'd call him back after they got the pictures, and give him my billing information and a credit card number. When I called him back, it was obvious that he and their Tecs were excited about having the car in their shop. ;) Total car people.

When we picked the car up, he told me with a big grin, "No charge. We loved having this car here and in the shop and on the premises. When we finished, we put it out front on the lot. Best advertising campaign we could imagine!" --- No matter that I tried to insist that I pay them for all their hard work. Absolutely wouldn't accept a dime! And 'wow', were they thorough! Complete detailed print out of everything and what they found. I was 'blown away'.

These are some of the nicest, most honest and competent people I have ever met! Jessup Cadillac just North of Palm Springs in Cathedral City is who (?) I think you may be mentioning?

Really a small World sometimes. :) Four years ago I bought The Eldorado Convertible (stored) in Palm Springs. I called around to have it inspected before we flew in to finalize the sale. Jessup Cadillac said they'd inspect it for me. That they'd have to have the car all day to go through everything. I emailed them pictures of it from Colorado. And made arrangements with the caretaker of the car in Palm Springs. Told the Service Manager that I'd call him back after they got the pictures, and give him my billing information and a credit card number. When I called him back, it was obvious that he and their Tecs were excited about having the car in their shop. ;) Total car people.

When we picked the car up, he told me with a big grin, "No charge. We loved having this car here and in the shop and on the premises. When we finished, we put it out front on the lot. Best advertising campaign we could imagine!" --- No matter that I tried to insist that I pay them for all their hard work. Absolutely wouldn't accept a dime! And 'wow', were they thorough! Complete detailed print out of everything and what they found. I was 'blown away'.

These are some of the nicest, most honest and competent people I have ever met! Jessup Cadillac just North of Palm Springs in Cathedral City is who (?) I think you may be mentioning?

I am talking about Jessup Cadillac. It is an outstanding dealership and I bought my XLR there. They have a couple of really good techs and they have treated me very fair. They sell a pile of Cadillacs.
John F.
SaveSave

Oil leak

I have an 04, mine did the same, 60,000 miles. Had head gasket seals put in and cleaned up all traces of oil that was too slow for anyone to care but me. About 350 with new oil change. Try an oil sealer if works. I use Lucas in my dts every change or so, that has 120000 on her, didnt want to use it in my summer ride and baby

Oil leak

One more thing, I use a vintage car garage who specializes in sport cars, it is spotless inside. My engine mounts were very loose and had to be retorqued. I avoid dealerships most have young kids around my area.

Hi John,
I just noticed your "New to the Forum" post and that you live in the San Fernando Valley. I just bought my 2009 XLR and also live in the Valley. Have you found a good XLR tech in the area? If so, I'd appreciate the info.

Hi Don,

My two cents worth here. This is a real PITA job. Requires specialized tools (Special Harmonic Balancer Puller) and a deep dive into the front of the engine. You must have two sets of Balancer Puller Bolts and follow XLR Specs to a 'T'. The first bolt you use to get the balancer down and seat it. Then remove it and use the 2nd new one which gets torqued to spec. Why? Because bolts stretch with age and torque spec may as a result be 'off'. And for goodness sake, skim coat both matting surfaces on the timing cover with RTV Sealer! --- This is NOT something that I'd allow a corner garage to do regardless of their other competencies with other vehicles. One huge danger is the aluminum block. Aluminum is very soft metal. If someone who doesn't know what they are doing strips bolt threads in aluminum, you are in big trouble. --- My recommendation, try 'Blue Devil Engine Oil Stop Leak' first. If the gasket has shrunk, it will re-swell it. If it's torn, then the tear down is in order. Yet, one can find out with The Blue Devil before a Major Tear Down. Commercially, in The Shop, we would always use the Blue Devil first to try to save the customer money. Most often the XLR's are not driven often or much, and gaskets shrink.

people screw up when they just try to tighnene the bolt. As you said if they do not know it takes 2 bolts to tighnen one then remove and replace with the new one I would avoid them.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom