Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help!!! Must choose!!!

JCP

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist XLR
Hey everyone! I have had my XLR for only a few months now. I love it at times and I hate it at times. Ha ha ha. It is a great car and I don’t regret buying it. Both my fiancé and I, even though only owning the car for a short time, have found it to be fantastic.......now here is the kicker....
I am in a rare opportunity to trade my XLR for a 2005 Convertible Dodge viper. Any one here have any advice for me?? Any one make the jump from Viper to XLR?

Hey everyone! I have had my XLR for only a few months now. I love it at times and I hate it at times. Ha ha ha. It is a great car and I don’t regret buying it. Both my fiancé and I, even though only owning the car for a short time, have found it to be fantastic.......now here is the kicker....
I am in a rare opportunity to trade my XLR for a 2005 Convertible Dodge viper. Any one here have any advice for me?? Any one make the jump from Viper to XLR?
It is hard for me to imagine why anyone would want to trade their XLR and go backwards to a Dodge Viper. I think General Motors will be around a lot longer than Chrysler. When you have doubts, sit down with a legal pad, draw a line down the center from top to bottom and list all the advantages of each car, XLR on left, Dodge on right. In the end only you can decide which features mean more to you. I don't think I would ever go back to a soft top, my XLR being my # 6 convertible. I also don't think I would trade an '06 model for an '05 as that is a step backwards. I guess it depends on which one turns you on. Cadillac has always been my choice brand, that is why I am up to number 12 now. I have always shopped before buying and I just feel I have always received much more for my dollars when I stay with Cadillac. Just my two cents worth. First Robin

I concur with the Robin. All of what he said holds water. Now, if you were able to have both that would be a totally different equation.

Many have both XLRs and Vettes, possibly even Vipers.

As I'm sure you're aware it's comparing apples and oranges.

But, in the end it's your $$$$. . .

Floyd (BB)

My .02 cents I would keep the XLR.

Would you rather have a snake or snake charmer? If you've had dental work and fillings installed, you'll find out how well the work was done after your first couple of rides. The Viper and XLR are completely different rides when it comes to comfort. You can get there fast or arrive comfortably, with style to spare. Its all a matter of personal taste, and well, chemistry. Good luck with your decision!

CC :wave:

As a relatively new XLR owner, and a current Corvette owner, I would ask: Would you use the Viper up towards it's potential? Are you happy with the XLR? You have to make that decision. The Viper is primative, and blazing fast, and handles fantastic. Would you use any of that potentail, or is just a boulevard cruiser? I kept my modded C5 Corvette, and I like my XLR, but they are different animals and I would sell my XLR before my Corvette because I enjoy the raw feel and power of my Corvette. I'm not bashing the XLR, it was just designed for a totally different purpose than either the Viper or the Corvette. Thankfully, I can keep both.
Bruce
(putting my flame suit on)

I agree with Bruce - you will need to weigh out the differences (they are many) and decide for yourself which holds more interest to you - and only you.

You can follow Robin's advice and list the differences on paper; but that would take all of the fun out of the equation! The fact is; one side of the list will be waaay longer; but - in the end it's all about personal choices and what about a car turns you on.

In one of Cadillac's commercials they coin the phrase; "When you turn your car on; does it return the favor?"

That is a statement to live (and drive) by. When Doris and I were sitting down to pit the pros and cons of replacing my CTS with a new one, or jumping back into my comfort zone (muscle car) we began comparing options - and of course things like heated seats, auto tranny, nav, bluetooth, moon roof, etc. etc. etc.

At the end of the day, the harsh ride and cold seats won by a landslide!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: Of course; I kept the CTS just to see me through those really cold days.............:reddevil

I would choose Viper but that's just me!

Here’s my list!

XLR
Pros
1. Classy
2. Comfortable
3. Hard top roof
4. Good gas mileage
5. Exclusivity
6. Still under warranty

Cons
1. Hard top issues non stop. Mostly good days though.
2. Depreciates in value quickly
3. Almost no aftermarket parts
3. Replacement parts $$$ - Take into consideration this will be a factor
once warranty runs out.

Viper
Pros
1. Very stylish
2. Sport comfort
3. Still a rare car to see
4. Most power for Dollar
5. Low buying price in this case
6. Car holds value better then XLR
7. After reading up on forms - Not many maintenance issues compared to XLR

Cons
1. Not many maintenance issues because not many features! Ha ha ha
2. Too much power if you’re a nut
3. Soft top
4. Not so good on the gas
5. Very cool ride....but not Classy. As my Fiancée says, "You would look funny in a suit in the viper."

So that’s my list!....And I’m still undecided! I think it was hit right on the head when it was said that this is apples to oranges. Two very different rides which are in their own classes considered to be the best. But how do they really compare to each other. This is an XLR site so I’m sure it would not be incorrect for someone to say "VIPER ALL THE WAY!" Much the same as if I asked the same question on a Viper forum site. I’m sure the out come would be different.

Still welcoming any input!

Until we bought my 2005 XLR in September, my DH and I were Mopar Or No Car almost totally. I've driven a friend's Viper at the race track (around the pits and he let me make a pass down the drag strip) and the Viper definitely has a MUCH rougher ride. I think your fiancee's comment about the classy looks of the XLR are right on - it's very classy and gets lots of looks and comments. I haven't made a pass on the track in my XLR yet, but intend doing so in the next couple of months. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Viper.
Diane

Who's going to be driving the car? :squint: :reddevil

I think they both run about neck to neck for rarity.

The Viper has been in production since 1992 with total sales around 25,000.

Through mid-June, 2008 only 79 Vipers hit the streets.

If the XLR stays in production for as long a period of time which I seriously doubt (18 production years) there would be more XLR's than Vipers out there.

On a bright note, Dodge totally sold out the current (2009) production run of Viper ACR's, quite an achievment for any company, especially one stickered at $100,000 plus. Add to that the fact Chrysler has the iconic supercar up for sale.

I think they both run about neck to neck for rarity.

The Viper has been in production since 1992 with total sales around 25,000.

Through mid-June, 2008 only 79 Vipers hit the streets.

If the XLR stays in production for as long a period of time which I seriously doubt (18 production years) there would be more XLR's than Vipers out there.

On a bright note, Dodge totally sold out the current (2009) production run of Viper ACR's, quite an achievment for any company, especially one stickered at $100,000 plus. Add to that the fact Chrysler has the iconic supercar up for sale.

Huh, didn't realize that. I see several Vipers on the streets up here in MT during the spring/summer, or at the very least a lot more than X's; I've only seen one other XLR. Incidentally, I've heard there is an 05 V on a lot here with 5000 miles for around $50,000.

No such thing as an "05 V." They were first-launched in 06.

Floyd (BB)

Boy, I can't wait for better weather so I can take "Wicked", as 3D Design calls my 06-V, to the strip and get some numbers. This V is stock except for a Volant Filter system with a slight mod of removing the matting that blocked the filters to make it ram air, open exhaust from zero, and had it flashed which didn't really do much for it, but did have the shift points dropped 200 RPM's which makes it shift with no lag.
I gaurantee that I will get the best numbers I can from my experience on the strip & post them. I just have to wait for racing weather.
I hope to end this Viper versus XLR-V thing for good. I have had four runs at one Viper from lights and kicked his butt all four times. One more with another Wiper that couldn't get near me when I got off the hammer at 100.
I'm aware they all have different engines & drivers but even the smallest engine should kick my butt.
Need warmer weather for better traction and the tires get softer too.Then we will see. Ya see, I don't care if I get beat, but she is still cherry, so whoever gets my baby gets her cherry.
I know, geez what a bragger. Heck, helo's have to chase me down.
Must be an 06... you know what happens when you hear something from someone who had heard, who had heard...

The current (and completely stock) ACR version of that "dump truck" just set the new track record at Nuerburing; 7:22 = more than four seconds faster than the ZR1.

For comparison purposes only - the new CTS-V's best effort on the same track was/is 7:59

I'd take one any day over an XLR-V. :patriot:

THE XLR AND XLR V ARE NOT TRACK CAR AND THE VIPER = A DUMP TRUCK TO AN XLR V.

These 2 cars are such different animals, how can you even compare them? Like Floyd brought up ... oranges and apples .... speed, comfort, sportscar-style convertible and exclusivness = XLR ....... speed & power = Viper, or Shelby, or Corvette or a dozen other like vehicles.
That's why we're all on this forum ..... we chose our XLR's over the others ... :blinzel:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom