Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Rear View Mirror Acting Up

ECurtis

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004, Xenon Blue XLR
Has anyone had a problem with the rear view mirror not staying in position?

Everytime I go over a bump or just as I drive down the street the mirror slowly moves down. I then push it back up and sometimes it stays in position other times it does not.

Can anyone help me with this?

I had that problem in my Honda crv. Of course it was mainly due to heat. If it got to hot then the rear view would slowly drop when it was parked outside and the windows up

Can't look at mine... still in storage. But there is usually a small set screw in the bottom of the part that fits around the ball that requires tightening; either a small allen wrench or straight blade screwdriver is needed.

Thanks mtrocket. My car is in storage now, but when it warms up and I can look at it I will look for the set screw and see if it needs tightening.

Also does the autodimming feature move only the mirror or does it move the mirror housing?

If it moves the housing to reposition the mirror then it would seem that there was someting going on with that feature.

Thanks johnpbaird. There must be something going on electonically, otherwise my mirror would stay in position. I am surprised no one else has had this issue. Either people aren't reading this post or I am just an anomaly.

I think it's the latter.

Ecurtis is what your trying to say is where you would adjust the rear view mirror for different drivers" the ballswivel". Not where it mounts too the window. If its dropping tilt when you hit bumps most likely that ballswivel is worn. My car is also in storage I don't believe theirs a adjustment you can do.

Ecurtis is what your trying to say is where you would adjust the rear view mirror for different drivers" the ballswivel". Not where it mounts too the window. If its dropping tilt when you hit bumps most likely that ballswivel is worn. My car is also in storage I don't believe theirs a adjustment you can do.

Stella,

That is exactly what I am trying to say. I have to physically adjust the mirror in position before driving. As I am driving and then look in the mirror I usually find that it has moved out of postion. When that happens I get a view of the seat and not the back window.

Nevertheless, sometimes the mirror stays in position even when I hit bumps, but most of the time it does not.

Maybe you are right about the ball swivel being worn out, but why does it act sporadically? Maybe it hits a rough spot on the ball.

Not really sure if there is no screw found. I checked my repair manual and all it has is mirror lamp replacement ingo. My guess is as Stella says, the ball swivel is worn. The correction would be a new mirror assembly... $$$$$.

My guess about the mirror staying sometime would be weather. Theirs a chance that if the mirror was disassembled that their might be something you can tighten up? Maybe tilt the mirror all the way down then take alittle silicone on a toothpick and smear it on the exposed part of the ball. Then put the mirror in the position you want. Then double check its where you want. Hopefully it'll hold for you. Our mirror was used on a lot of GM models just don't put xlr infront of your search$$$$

Another version

I attempted to remove the mirror, but only succeeded to remove the plastic covers.
After foolin with it, I decided to visit a Windshield Repair/replacement shop,...(They should know!).
The mirror comes off with a certain twist, (That I wouldn't try) but it was done by the windshield shop.
Seems that there is a grey circle which holds the tension on the ball, and it was broken/cracked and was not replaceable.
I asked the guy for advice and told him that I had received information on maybe a little silicone??
He wasn't really inthused on that idea but suggested the black putty, used to secure the window to the car.
Soooo he took a little piece, rolled it between his hands and placed it inside the affected area, (around the ball).
Then he took a small plastic tool and stuffed it all around and inside the affected area.
This seemed to work pretty well but we'll see.
He then replaced the mirror and the plastic cover.
I would strongly suggest to have the mirror removed by a professional, (as I did) and as I did,....slip him a $20!!

Good to information know
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

I attempted to remove the mirror, but only succeeded to remove the plastic covers.
After foolin with it, I decided to visit a Windshield Repair/replacement shop,...(They should know!).
The mirror comes off with a certain twist, (That I wouldn't try) but it was done by the windshield shop.
Seems that there is a grey circle which holds the tension on the ball, and it was broken/cracked and was not replaceable.
I asked the guy for advice and told him that I had received information on maybe a little silicone??
He wasn't really inthused on that idea but suggested the black putty, used to secure the window to the car.
Soooo he took a little piece, rolled it between his hands and placed it inside the affected area, (around the ball).
Then he took a small plastic tool and stuffed it all around and inside the affected area.
I would strongly suggest to have the mirror removed by a professional, (as I did) and as I did,....slip him a $20!!

Thanks John and Stella. This is good information. I just got the car out of storage. Drove it last Sunday and it did the same thing as I described. I will see how the putty solution works.

Opened up the mirror and yep the gray circle was broken. Tried the putty solution, thought that it was packed in tightly. However, after driving it around and on hot days the mirror still would move out of position, although not as much. Serched EBay and did not find any mirrors, so I broke down and got one from Cadillac. It cost $540.00 for the mirror and $70.00 in labor (Major Ouch!!!!):pat:. I don't know but, except for electonics, I think the rear view mirrors should come with a lifetime warranty.

Opened up thissue mirror and yep the gray circle was broken. Tried the putty solution, thought that it was packed in tightly. However, after driving it around and on hot days the mirror still would move out of position, although not as much. Serched EBay and did not find any mirrors, so I broke down and got one from Cadillac. It cost $540.00 for the mirror and $70.00 in labor (Major Ouch!!!!):pat:. I don't know but, except for electonics, I think the rear view mirrors should come with a lifetime warranty.

As of today I am having the same issue, hopefully it can be replaced under GMPP Major Guard warranty. :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom