Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HELP...trunk stuck open

boilermaker

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2009 Black/Tan XLR: 2008 STS V8 AWD: 2008 SRX Premium AWD
Tried to put top down today...trunk lid opened but thats all..i hear motor but nothing moving
also noticed windows wont go up ...and right rear of trunk damp in storage hole
garage to low to get car in out of elements.

is it a fuse and where or which one would it be,,or a relay?

cell 412 576 7580

This may be a silly question, but I have to ask did you try to to close the trunk using the trunk button and if so did it work? My top from time to time have a glitch where the trunk will not close after the top has been raised and some times lowered. The only way to close the trunk would be to release the top button and press it again or use the trunk key.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

That last line should read "trunk button".....

Start by inspecting the left side storage compartment where the Folding Top Control module lives. If it's soaked, read similar threads and break out your wallet. Inspect the drain hole while you're at it whether it's wet in there or not. . .

CC :wave:

trunk lid and top

we did have a heavy rain storm the night before...trunk well and storage area a little damp as is the area of carpet but edge of trunk lid , but well on the left is dry.

As well as the trunk being stuck in the open position the computer is telling me that the top isnt closed either.

Also the power windows dont work as well as the power door locks and the automatic readjusting of the the two side mirrors dont readjust

Gizmo called me and had run through a senerio where you disconnect the battery and reconnect it.
when i did that the windows worked up and down but as soon as i tried the top button again the windows stopped working again. i repeated this precedure 4 times without anything re setting it self.

so you are saying that if i insert the key trunk key it will release the trunk so i can manually close it...even with the "top not emgaged" warning light on?

Warranty?

Forgive me for asking the obvious question - you have an '09, isn't it under warranty? Why don't you call the dealer to pick it up and fix it?

warranty

this all happened on wednesday July 4 th ...no dealer opened but after trying various things recommended by a few forum members nothing seemed to fix the problem
so on thursday morning i drove it to the dealership (8 miles ) at 25 MPH. got half way there and while driving the trunk closed.
but once i reached the dealership and tried the top again the problem was still there, trunk stayed open and top ajar.
they have two XLR techs there...will keep the forum posted on any findings

this all happened on wednesday July 4 th ...no dealer opened but after trying various things recommended by a few forum members nothing seemed to fix the problem
so on thursday morning i drove it to the dealership (8 miles ) at 25 MPH. got half way there and while driving the trunk closed.
but once i reached the dealership and tried the top again the problem was still there, trunk stayed open and top ajar.
they have two XLR techs there...will keep the forum posted on any findings

Anything to report concerning this problem?

sorry for the delay...went away for a week...car was in dealership.

Here is what they did....computer reported

code B3971 folding top position sensor malfunction
code B3666 stored after replacing folding top sensor ( THIS IS ACTUALLY THE CODE FOR THE REAR TONNEAU COVER POSITION SENSOR ) it was replaced
N2239 switch, folding top position replaced ( THIS IS THE FOLDING TOP POSITION SENSOR ) also replaced.

The tech told me he first replaced the folding top sensor but it then blew the tonneau sensor. so he then replaced both sensors a second time.

all warranty covered

I cant imagine what someone would do if this happened away from a dealership or on a trip. drive around all day with the trunk open ????

The trunk can be closed manually just by pulling it down and this does not hurt anything.

i tried that when it first happened..but all that did was bow the support bars outwards..nothing would move.
i sisnt want to bend the support bars by putting a lot of pressure on the trunk lid.

i tried that when it first happened..but all that did was bow the support bars outwards..nothing would move.
i sisnt want to bend the support bars by putting a lot of pressure on the trunk lid.
There is a pressure relief valve on the pump. If you open it and wait 20 seconds everything on the top and trunk will move easily. If you look in your manual it will show the procedure. Everyone should know this invade it stops halfway up in the middle of nowhere. Believe me, this is experience talking. It happened to me.

Magic Tool?

Thanks for the suggestion that we read the manual about this situation. It was sure helpful. HOWEVER, the text in the manual references some "tool", and it seems to be used for several things during the manual raising/lowering process. I'm the second owner of my XLR, and there's no such tool to be found in my vehicle. Can someone please post a description of what makes up the "tool", and where I might come by one? :dunno:

TIA

Tim

There is a pressure relief valve on the pump. If you open it and wait 20 seconds everything on the top and trunk will move easily. If you look in your manual it will show the procedure. Everyone should know this invade it stops halfway up in the middle of nowhere. Believe me, this is experience talking. It happened to me.

Here is a picture of the tool in question, I found mine in the glove box when I purchased the car.
:cool:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342978293214.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342978293214.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 467
Ah... Looks like a combo tool w/ a Torx and an Allen wrench. Is that right?

What are the two sizes?

Tim

Here is a picture of the tool in question, I found mine in the glove box when I purchased the car.
:cool:

Ah... Looks like a combo tool w/ a Torx and an Allen wrench. Is that right?

What are the two sizes?

Tim

Yes, that is correct. The Torx is a T-15 and the Allen wrench is 8mm. There are several owners without the correct tool that carry two separate tools. I happened to find mine on Ebay several years ago.

Looks like a good excuse for me to head to Harbor Freight. :chuckle I already found a spare 8mm Allen wrench, so I'll get a set of torx heads to fit a ratcheting screwdriver set, and I'll be good to go. ;)

I'm going to drive from Pueblo, CO up to northern MN (where I'm from) to visit relatives, sometime in the next coupla weeks. I'd hate to get caught away from a Caddy dealer, should I have a top problem. I'm going to make sure the top mechanism is well lubed, AND I'm going to start the OnStar trial program. That ought to give me peace of mind, eh?

This thread has been a great source of info. Thanks, all. :wave:

Tim

Yes, that is correct. The Torx is a T-15 and the Allen wrench is 8mm. There are several owners without the correct tool that carry two separate tools. I happened to find mine on Ebay several years ago.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom