Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Horn keeps blowing the fuse.

AUSTIN-XLR

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Platinum XLR
I recently bought a Platinum 06 XLR. The horn doesn't work and it blows a fuse everytime that I replace the fuse when I try to honk. Any ideas?

There is obviously a short in the wiring somewhere. Check to see if the wiring to the horn is pinched.

I recently bought a Platinum 06 XLR. The horn doesn't work and it blows a fuse everytime that I replace the fuse when I try to honk. Any ideas?

I know this is old, so I apologize... but yesterday someone pulled out in front of me and I tried to honk, and heard nothing. I thought maybe it was because the top was down and my music was up... so I muted it and tried again and nothing. Replaced the fuse today, and nothing. Swapped the relay with the AC condenser relay to test that it worked, and no problems. But still no horn. However, when I had the fuse box open and was trying to honk, there was a clicking in the fuse box. Everything else is functioning fine. I did have a hiccup with the ACC the other night randomly going off, but hadn't happened before or since. Any ideas? If I need to check the wiring for a crimp, I don't actually know where the horn is...:pat:

So lots of problems started popping up after this, and I got depressed for a few days, and then starting thinking that everything couldn't go wrong at once... and then I remember about low batteries wreaking havoc on our cars. So I ordered the Battery Tender Plus, after reading all about them on here. I'm hoping that will fix this horn issue, as well as all the others! I'll let you know. It also lit up the check engine light, warning me about the gas cap (which was on tightly enough), and then "Service Stabilitrack" paired with the light showing traction control is off, and then the ACC quit working... I hooked up the battery tender late last night, and will try it again today. I'm assuming I should probably clear the codes and then see if they light back up? Or will they go off automatically?

The answer to your question depends in large part on the condition of your battery. The Battery Tender won't fix a bad battery, it's purpose is to prolong the life of good batteries.

Once a battery won't hold a charge, it's irrevocably damaged. If the charge is low, the Tender will re-charge it. If the plates are heavily suphated, resulting in less surface area on the plates for the battery to take and hold a charge, a Battery Tender isn't going to do you much good. A new battery is the answer.

You're right though. The first thing to check if you're getting a bunch of trouble lamps is the battery; it's the weakest component in the XLR.

You may have more than one problem, so keep that in mind.

CC :wave:

Well, I do think there are multiple problems. But I don't consider any of them serious.

After getting the battery tender in and charging it up, I took the car out this weekend a few times. I got the check engine light turned off, which was on for "Check gas cap" -- apparently it isn't sealing well enough. "Service stabilitrak" is coming on and off intermittently (always when I first start it up.. but once I turn the car off when I get to my destination and come back, it is likely that it will be off). I'm thinking that may be the issue I read about in the steering column. And the ACC is still only working intermittently. It may be tied to the T/C turning off with the Service Stabilitrak -- but not entirely. The first time the ACC didn't work the light hadn't come on yet. I guess I'll have to take it in at some point.

Well, I do think there are multiple problems. But I don't consider any of them serious.

After getting the battery tender in and charging it up, I took the car out this weekend a few times. I got the check engine light turned off, which was on for "Check gas cap" -- apparently it isn't sealing well enough. "Service stabilitrak" is coming on and off intermittently (always when I first start it up.. but once I turn the car off when I get to my destination and come back, it is likely that it will be off). I'm thinking that may be the issue I read about in the steering column. And the ACC is still only working intermittently. It may be tied to the T/C turning off with the Service Stabilitrak -- but not entirely. The first time the ACC didn't work the light hadn't come on yet. I guess I'll have to take it in at some point.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information after you have taken the vehicle. in.

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry