Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

How to-- Key on engine off?

Phrede

Seasoned Member
I feel like I am missing something and hope this is an easy answer that I am just not seeing.

How do we get our cars into a key on engine off state?

I am looking to reprogram some TPMS sensors.

I feel like I am missing something and hope this is an easy answer that I am just not seeing.

We asked Bruce the same question Saturday nite. He said if you press the bottom of the start button the car goes into accessory mode and if you press and hold(3-5 seconds) the bottom of that start button it goes into RUN mode.

Hummm, I am going to assume the 2009 is different then, as it is obvious. On my car there is a fair sized rectangular button, the big circle at the top is for starting, there are two small spots on the bottom, the one on the left for shutting down and the one on the right side is marked 'ACC' for accessory mode.

Hummm, I am going to assume the 2009 is different then, as it is obvious. On my car there is a fair sized rectangular button, the big circle at the top is for starting, there are two small spots on the bottom, the one on the left for shutting down and the one on the right side is marked 'ACC' for accessory mode.

GrayToad, that is the same. You may want to re-read the question. I am wanting the ignition on without the engine running. BTW, it doesn't really matter what side of the switch bottom you press. What matters is the existing condition. If the ignition is on (engine running) a switch bottom press turns everything off. If everything is off a switch bottom press puts the car in accessory mode. If everything is off a switch bottom press and hold turns on the ignition/car but does not start the engine.

Thanks Gizmo, that works. I should have been able to guess that.

BTW, I have finished my tire/wheel research. I'm going with Bridgestone Potenza S-04 255/45-18 on 18X8.5 [56mm] in front (that will accept 6 piston calipers in the future) and 285/35-19 on 19X10 [79mm] in back. I made a lot of "what if" back and forth and thought risking the 35 series road hazards was an acceptable risk. That is a standard C6 size. It works out that the outside lip of the wheel is .2" further out in front and .04" further out in back keeping everything inside the well.

GrayToad, that is the same. You may want to re-read the question. I am wanting the ignition on without the engine running. BTW, it doesn't really matter what side of the switch bottom you press. What matters is the existing condition. If the ignition is on (engine running) a switch bottom press turns everything off. If everything is off a switch bottom press puts the car in accessory mode. If everything is off a switch bottom press and hold turns on the ignition/car but does not start the engine.

Oh, so you mean if you want to access info on the driver info centre that does not work on accessory etc? That is darn handy info as I have started my car more than once to find out something: Thanks! It never occured to me that that was available :rolleyes: (blonde too!) :chuckle

Oh, so you mean if you want to access info on the driver info centre that does not work on accessory etc? That is darn handy info as I have started my car more than once to find out something: Thanks! It never occured to me that that was available :rolleyes: (blonde too!) :chuckle

It's more for use as a diagnostic aid. In my case I am using it to reprogram new pressure sensors in the tires. Sometimes it is needed for other diagnostics and when a diagnostic tool is plugged in to the OBDII system. I would not leave it on long as it will surely kill a battery in short order.

Reading your milage

Also just found out that by turning on the lights the odometer shows the milage, for my business gas card it keeps track of the milage and until just recently I would get out to fill up and forget :pat: to check the mileage. Then I would get back in and start the the car that was the only way I could figure out to read the mileage. :rocker:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom