Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

How well does the wind restrictor work?

The only problem, and it's not really a problem, that I have with the Restrictor is at night. Ours has the red lighting which when I look in my rear view it looks like a whole squad of police cars are coming up on me :willy_nilly:. But after the first few times of seeing it, well, now I don't even notice it. Also, I think the size of the graphic might have some effect. We just have a smallish "enhanced" crest and a little script ... so none of it is enough to be distracting.
I don't know if I would do the red again ... I almost think a clear lighting would have been just as attractive.

RA,

If you have the brake light module you can control the intensity of the light, which helps quite a bit.

I also notice more glare during the day than at night--mostly reflections from in front being direct into the rearview mirror. I still love it though as it does help with the wind. :blinzel:

The only problem, and it's not really a problem, that I have with the Restrictor is at night. Ours has the red lighting which when I look in my rear view it looks like a whole squad of police cars are coming up on me :willy_nilly:. But after the first few times of seeing it, well, now I don't even notice it. Also, I think the size of the graphic might have some effect. We just have a smallish "enhanced" crest and a little script ... so none of it is enough to be distracting.
I don't know if I would do the red again ... I almost think a clear lighting would have been just as attractive.

Was looking as well

I've been investigating this as well. So far didn't like any the attachment systems for the glass/acrylic types. Although it can stay in place with the top up, I still wanted the option of removing, so no sticky tape or devices that would mar the leather or other interior parts was acceptable. Also didn't like straps wrapping around the roll bars. I'm currently working with someone in Atlanta that makes them for other cars, but not the XLR. I'll keep you posted, but we may have come up with a system that attaches securely with no tape, screws, or anything else. I'm also trying to get it contoured to the curve of the deck along the roll bars instead of just a straight cut. I should know in a week or so when I return from traveling on business. By the way, in answer to your question, I noticed a decent reduction in wing and cabin noise with the side windows up, but no noticeable change with them down.

Just got my new windscreen

As I mentioned earlier, I was investigating and got hooked up with a guy that made them for other cars but not the XLR. He worked with me and produced a design I liked. It requires no screws, no two face tape, no physical attaching to the car at all. It can easily be installed and removed with no tools, and can be left in place when the roof is put up. It is not etched, i prefer the clear view in my mirror, and is slightly angled to help prevent glare. I'm not sure when he'll be providing them as a production item, but he is easily contacted through his website www.jaysenoffwindscreens.com

Not sure if the following picture is inserted correctly, if not email me at majik755@cox.net and I send a pic

View attachment 266

As I mentioned earlier, I was investigating and got hooked up with a guy that made them for other cars but not the XLR. He worked with me and produced a design I liked. It requires no screws, no two face tape, no physical attaching to the car at all. It can easily be installed and removed with no tools, and can be left in place when the roof is put up. It is not etched, i prefer the clear view in my mirror, and is slightly angled to help prevent glare. I'm not sure when he'll be providing them as a production item, but he is easily contacted through his website www.jaysenoffwindscreens.com

Not sure if the following picture is inserted correctly, if not email me at majik755@cox.net and I send a pic

View attachment 266

If it's not attached to the car I would be concerned that it could become a missle. I assume it must just sit between the seat back and the roll bar and could easily slide to one side or the other if you don't keep a close eye on it.

Misunderstanding

Sorry, it is attached to the car, with braces that secure near the roll bars. I just meant it required no screws or drilling into the car frame, and no two faced tape to attach brackets. When installed it is rock solid, I tested it on Interstate 95, but it can be slipped out of place with no holes or damage to the roll bars or deck lid. The bracket and windscreen can be removed as one piece. I'll have to take some more pictures. In the one shown the braces are hidden between the roll bars and headrest of the seats.

There is no drilling with the Windrestrictor either!! Have looked at many and it is by far the finest product I have found--plus you can have it personnaly etched with anything you like and have it illuminated as well!!!

Sorry, it is attached to the car, with braces that secure near the roll bars. I just meant it required no screws or drilling into the car frame, and no two faced tape to attach brackets. When installed it is rock solid, I tested it on Interstate 95, but it can be slipped out of place with no holes or damage to the roll bars or deck lid. The bracket and windscreen can be removed as one piece. I'll have to take some more pictures. In the one shown the braces are hidden between the roll bars and headrest of the seats.

I got my XLR windscreen from Windblox about a year ago, and it's been working out gret for me. I was looking at the Wind Restrictor windscreen, but at 2X the cost, I didn't understand any greater advantage. Then, I also checked out the reviews from Windscreenreview, which had good info.

I'll say the biggest fan of my windscreen is my wife. She won't go top-down in the car now unless I have the windscreen mounted.

I got my XLR windscreen from Windblox about a year ago, and it's been working out gret for me. I was looking at the Wind Restrictor windscreen, but at 2X the cost, I didn't understand any greater advantage. Then, I also checked out the reviews from Windscreenreview, which had good info.

I'll say the biggest fan of my windscreen is my wife. She won't go top-down in the car now unless I have the windscreen mounted.

I have the windscreen from Cadillac and absolutely love it. I have ridden in an XLR with the Wind restrictor and actually I think my windscreen does a much better job.

Cubby and I have the WindRestrictor from Stephen and Ashley on our Scarlett V and we love it. It is not hard to install your self. Kevin got ours and installed it himself in one day. It looks beautiful. Thank you Stephen, Ashley and the gang, you have a great product. Dare I say the best out there. :worship::patriot:

Another benefit

I have the acrylic type and though it stopped a little turbulance, the main effect and reduction is noise was from raising the side windows. I do enjoy the look so given that plus a minor benefit I thoroughly enjoy having it installed. Yesterday, driving down I95 from Delaware to Virginia, my wife and I got caught in a storm with the top down. We kept going until te next overpass; highway speed and airflow does keep the water going up and over the passenger compartment. Under the cover of the overpass, I raised the roof and it was then I noticed all the water splatter on the acrylic that was kept from splashing back onto us from behind. Not a recommended situation to try, but certainly an unexpected added benefit!

Top down in rainstorm

I too have driven with the top down in a rainstorm, when I stopped my windscreen was perfectly dry, I guess I was going fast enough that the rain just blew straight over the car. When I had my 1960 Cadillac Convertible we drove a lot of times in the rain with the top down and the windows up and never got wet. What a lot of fun that was.

Just a thought as to why you had water on the outside of the windrestictor. Sounds like you didn't wipe down the trunk lid before you raised it to put the top up and you probably got some water in the trunk and also splashed the outside of the acrylic windrestrictor.:dunno:
I have the acrylic type and though it stopped a little turbulance, the main effect and reduction is noise was from raising the side windows. I do enjoy the look so given that plus a minor benefit I thoroughly enjoy having it installed. Yesterday, driving down I95 from Delaware to Virginia, my wife and I got caught in a storm with the top down. We kept going until te next overpass; highway speed and airflow does keep the water going up and over the passenger compartment. Under the cover of the overpass, I raised the roof and it was then I noticed all the water splatter on the acrylic that was kept from splashing back onto us from behind. Not a recommended situation to try, but certainly an unexpected added benefit!

I did some more testing today, 7/31, so I am editing this review.
Sli1

I have both the Cadillac windscreen and the WindRestrictor. They are both excellent products.

Value - The WindRestrictor is the better value. I got a model without etching. I worried the etching might interfere when looking backwards. (I was tempted to get the Cadi logo as I think it really looks sharp.)

Wind protection - They both stop most of the wind. With the windows down, the Cadi windscreen stops more of the back draft that blows hair forward. With windows up they both stop most of the wind, but the windscreen still stops more wind.

Looks - I think the WindRestrictor is much better looking. It certainly looks better than any of its cheaper competitors that I have seen if life or pictures. It is solid and thick, cut and polished, sits in a leather frame, and looks very professional. (I am surprised some people would buy an $80,000 car and worry about saving $100 by buying a flimsy windshield. Don't mean to judge, just find it odd.) The Cadi windscreen looks OK but it does not add anything to the car, at least not to me.

Packaging - The WindRestrictor has better packaging and extra touches including cleaner, cleaning towel, and gloves for installation to avoid hand prints that you would then have to clean.

Speed of install - The windscreen goes on and off in less than 5 minutes without tools. The WindRestrictor requires an wrench and takes about 5-10 minutes, plus you have to be careful not to scratch it. The windscreen has a storage container. I saved the shipping box to store the WindRestrictor.

Interference with vision - The windscreen interferes with my vision when looking backwards, especially at night. The WindRestrictor reflects light when it is darker behind the car than in front, somewhat annoying. Overall, the WindRestrictor causes less interference than the windscreen.

Bottom line - You cannot go wrong with either. My wife likes the windscreen slightly better because it stops the back draft better; therefore, I like the windscreen better since I bought it for her.

wind restrictor

Yes the acrlc. screen works well, I paid just under $120.deliverd,easy install ; I'm also bald with beard !! :angelalze,jr. member. Go to Windblox. com they are good to do business with,and I got the clear velcro straps also clear lucite,less glare & reflection. Good luck, alze

OK, a little off topic story, but still concerning the wind restrictor.

I bought one a few months back and wanted to install it so that it only illuminated when I hit the brakes. I played around for a while, but could not get it to work and had to leave it for another time because I had a appointment to go to. Anyway, I still have not gotten back to it, but noticed last night when I hit the button to lower my top that the wind restrictor lit up like a x-mas tree. All along I thought the problem was probably my ground wire, but it seems that I spliced into the wrong wire. :confused::lol:

I guess I need to take another look at the wiring harness and try to figure out which wire is for the brakes and switch it around. If someone has a "good" picture of the wire I need to locate I would appreciate it if you would send it to me. :willy_nilly:

OK, a little off topic story, but still concerning the wind restrictor.

I bought one a few months back and wanted to install it so that it only illuminated when I hit the brakes. I played around for a while, but could not get it to work and had to leave it for another time because I had a appointment to go to. Anyway, I still have not gotten back to it, but noticed last night when I hit the button to lower my top that the wind restrictor lit up like a x-mas tree. All along I thought the problem was probably my ground wire, but it seems that I spliced into the wrong wire. :confused::lol:

I guess I need to take another look at the wiring harness and try to figure out which wire is for the brakes and switch it around. If someone has a "good" picture of the wire I need to locate I would appreciate it if you would send it to me. :willy_nilly:

Just contact Stephen @ Windrestrictor and he will email you the picture I am sure. I know I have it at home somewhere if you want to wait, I'll look for it tonight.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom