Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! Inside Door Switch Not Working / Fix.

jts442

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Cadillac XLR - Base
Hello to all the XLR owners out there in our limited world, this may be helpful if someone experiences the same issue that I just had.
This morning I pulled Fred (paint color infra red) out of the garage and the drivers inside door switch would not work. I tried the passenger side from the inside and it worked fine.
Hmmmm, WTF?
After some digging around online I only came up with people replacing the door switch and or door latch for the c6 corvette, there's almost no info on the XLR.
The corvette door switch looks easy enough to replace compared to our XLR's. Eventually I came across a blog where someone indicated that both inside door switches were not working intermittently and it was recommended to change the key fob battery as it sends the signal to the computer with much technical jargon explaining just what happens.
I thought what the heck, changed the key fob battery (2032) and it worked. Wait ... WHAAAAAAT?
Needless to say I was VERY Very relieved, I thought I was going to have to pull the trim panel off just to replace the door switch, or replace the latch which I was not looking forward too.
So if you are having the same issue and made it this far, just replace the key fob battery, I would have never guessed that would be causing this issue. Keep a spare in the side pocket, you never know what else it controls.
On a side note, about a month ago, I took both outside door switches off, took them apart and cleaned them as moisture and humidity starts to degrade the contacts and could be sluggish trying to open, it can be done vs replacing them, also cleaned them up on the outside when done, reinstalled and now they look and work like new.
I hope this helps someone.
Be careful out there and keep smiling.

Attachments

• 20210217_154457_resized02.jpg
    20210217_154457_resized02.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 268
Hello to all the XLR owners out there in our limited world, this may be helpful if someone experiences the same issue that I just had.
This morning I pulled Fred (paint color infra red) out of the garage and the drivers inside door switch would not work. I tried the passenger side from the inside and it worked fine.
Hmmmm, WTF?
After some digging around online I only came up with people replacing the door switch and or door latch for the c6 corvette, there's almost no info on the XLR.
The corvette door switch looks easy enough to replace compared to our XLR's. Eventually I came across a blog where someone indicated that both inside door switches were not working intermittently and it was recommended to change the key fob battery as it sends the signal to the computer with much technical jargon explaining just what happens.
I thought what the heck, changed the key fob battery (2032) and it worked. Wait ... WHAAAAAAT?
Needless to say I was VERY Very relieved, I thought I was going to have to pull the trim panel off just to replace the door switch, or replace the latch which I was not looking forward too.
So if you are having the same issue and made it this far, just replace the key fob battery, I would have never guessed that would be causing this issue. Keep a spare in the side pocket, you never know what else it controls.
On a side note, about a month ago, I took both outside door switches off, took them apart and cleaned them as moisture and humidity starts to degrade the contacts and could be sluggish trying to open, it can be done vs replacing them, also cleaned them up on the outside when done, reinstalled and now they look and work like new.
I have had this issue with the intermittent release with the driver's door only for about 2 months now. My problem is that the window drops like it is supposed to, but the latch does not release. Was this the behavior you experienced?

I had noticed that outside door release was acting wonky as well. I had taken it apart once before, so I took it apart once again. The contacts had shifted and the little rubber tabs that hold it in place were broken off. Replaced the switch and both switches are working without issues.

I was very hopeful, when I saw this post - unfortunately, brand new CR3032 in my key fob and the driver's side door still does not open (very intermittent, sometime up to 10-15 attempts, before it finally opens). And yes, my window does index (drop down a little), but the door latch does not release the door. Because the window does go down a bit, I am questioning if it is, in fact, the inside door switch - could it be the latch itself? Does anyone have any idea? I am experiencing this on my 2005 Base XLR (no issues at all with my 2007 XLR-V). But the outside switch is working perfecting fine (replaced them a few years ago)... so that is why I am questioning if it the latch. I don't even know if the inside door switch is available anymore.

this interior switch only fits the XLR . If your outside door switch works and your interior one works properly but your fob does not I dotn think it would be your door latch. There is a problem between the fob and the receiver. Try another battery. I have seen new ones be bad or at least check that it is fully new voltage wise. does the fob work the trunk ok?

Hmmmm, WTF?
I hope it is that simple. My 08 XLR does it 'sometimes' with Passenger Door. Drivers door is OK so far. Very annoying.

very simple repair but also one of the cheapest parts you can still buy for the car .Buy the part and keep it as one day there will not be any

good deal those are no longer available. They really area an important part of the trunk operation and need to be in place but no one wants to pay to have them reproduced.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom