Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Intermittent stabiltrak activation

2WheelWrench

'04 stabiltrac activates for a split second, at random times, causing the car to veer to the left. Each time it does, it is only for a split second; "Stabiltrak" flashes on the Driver's Information screen so quickly that it took me many times to actually see it. Also, the ABS randomly activates, again for a split second, when the brake pedal is first (lightly) depressed. We drove it around with a scanner connected, and it appeared to be the Electronic Brake Control Module. The EBCM was replaced with one from an 11k mile wreck, with no change in symptoms. The problem went away after both front hub assemblies were replaced, but has since returned. Any suggestions are appreciated.

As an aside, this car has been a money drain, but it's a love/hate relationship. I have a lengthy list of all that has been replaced/repaired on it, if anyone is interested.

You may want to read the following link. There is a connection in the steering column that has been known to cause this exact problem, and there is a TSB on it.

Hope this helps.

https://www.xlrforum.com/44-steering-suspension/6791-service-stabilitrak-traction-control-must-read.html

'04 stabiltrac activates for a split second, at random times, causing the car to veer to the left. Each time it does, it is only for a split second; "Stabiltrak" flashes on the Driver's Information screen so quickly that it took me many times to actually see it. Also, the ABS randomly activates, again for a split second, when the brake pedal is first (lightly) depressed. We drove it around with a scanner connected, and it appeared to be the Electronic Brake Control Module. The EBCM was replaced with one from an 11k mile wreck, with no change in symptoms. The problem went away after both front hub assemblies were replaced, but has since returned. Any suggestions are appreciated.

As an aside, this car has been a money drain, but it's a love/hate relationship. I have a lengthy list of all that has been replaced/repaired on it, if anyone is interested.

Thanks. The only difference that I see is that it happens on my car with/without Stabiltrak engaged.

I would do this, if you have the tools. Hook up a MDS 2 to a laptop with Tech2 WIN and an AC DELCO Subscription. Read the firmware ID and ROM memory of the ECBM if it doesnt read, it's bad. If it reads, check for updated firmware from GM's sever and download it. GM sometimes quietly has a software updates to fix issues. I recently updated my ECU and it handles the MAF better and faster with fuel trim adjustments. I can sometimes repair the ECBM (re-solder IC connections).

You may want to read the following link. There is a connection in the steering column that has been known to cause this exact problem, and there is a TSB on it.

Hope this helps.

https://www.xlrforum.com/44-steering-suspension/6791-service-stabilitrak-traction-control-must-read.html

Thanks Cubby, I have driven the car over 400 miles, with no problems, BUT I have not moved/adjusted the steering column. So I think that you are correct. I haven't had the time to further troubleshoot...maybe next week. I'll post the (hopefully good) results.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom