Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Just put a set of tires and new sensors on my XLR.

XLRAL

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
The tire tech couldn't get the sensors to show up on the dic. Does anyone know how I might be able to set that up. Thanks Al

The tire tech couldn't get the sensors to show up on the dic. Does anyone know how I might be able to set that up. Thanks Al

Did he use the programmer? Usually after that you have to drive several miles for them to show up properly in the DIC

New TPMS sensors will not automatically be recognized in the system. They will have to be programmed. If your tire dealer couldn't do it, take it by your dealer and have them do it.

I don't know what model-year we're talking about here.. but the magnet only worked with early model XLR's... for my 06 and up, you need an RF tool to trip the sensors for relearn... I ended up buying one for $100 or so (not the Kent, but another smilar one)... but discount tire near my house will do it for free from my experience, however - YMMV

... but discount tire near my house will do it for free from my experience, however - YMMV

Most dealership service advisors will do it for free if you ask them nicely. My dealership does mine 4 or 5 times a year - no cost. Usually takes them longer to find the tool than to reprogram the sensors.

I just drove my 04 XLR home @2 miles from Discount Tires. He was playing with my fob, and he worked on it with his tech machine for around 15 - 20 minutes. He was saying something about the DIC wasn't doing anything when he pressed it to look for the sensors. ? I will take it to a Cadillac dealer Tuesday when I take her in for some work. Thanks guys. Al

I just drove my 04 XLR home @2 miles from Discount Tires. He was playing with my fob, and he worked on it with his tech machine for around 15 - 20 minutes. He was saying something about the DIC wasn't doing anything when he pressed it to look for the sensors. ? I will take it to a Cadillac dealer Tuesday when I take her in for some work. Thanks guys. Al

Got to press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time till the DIC gives you a beep

Posted by Cubby,

TPMS Reprogramming - How to get "Programming Mode"?
PAK,

Did a little more research, if you are getting one chirp on the unlock lock buttons, it is in learn mode. With your TPM tool start at the left front, when you receive a hone chirp move to the right front. After the horn chirp more to the right rear, when you get that horn chirp move to the left rear. Once it recognizes the last one, you will get two horn chirps and the RCDLR will exit the learn mode. You'll have to drive a bit before you get the actual tire pressure to register. For new sensors you must have a tool to register the new TPMS ID. Hope this helps.

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ng-how-to-get-programming-mode.html#post60345

(My comment)
If you have a strong magnet that can go around the valve stem, that will work for the programming tool. Just hold the magnet around the valve stem as close to the rim as possible. I have a strong magnet in the shape of a donut. Went to programming mode and followed this procedure, got two beeps on the last tire as mentioned.
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
magnet,,,

Many vehicles have used a magnet in the oil pan to collect metal fillings that might accumulate. That is what I used on a Mopar product to reset the tire sensors. Might ask a repair shop if they have an old pan laying around with a magnet you can have? Even some brands use a magnet in the transmission fluid pan as well.....

PICT5670.jpg

The '04's used a different sensor than other years, so that could be the issue. I had an '04, that a newer sensor was put in the it would not register.

Got to press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time till the DIC gives you a beep

Sensors

The technician said that his machine was showing my sensors alive but he just couldn't get the dick to correspond with them on the dash. I am going to drive it tomorrow so I will give you an update if they are activated thanks for all your help guys.

The technician said that his machine was showing my sensors alive but he just couldn't get the dick to correspond with them on the dash. I am going to drive it tomorrow so I will give you an update if they are activated thanks for all your help guys.

Try letting a lot of air out of the tire. You will need to pump them up again. A low pressure will trigger an alarm in the sensor and the system will notice the new sensor while in learn mode. Doesn't work for all systems, but I'm told this is often what GM dealers do. Maybe somebody can confirm for the XLR.

There are power magnets in old hard drives. The older the drive, the bigger the power magnets.

Last edited:
Try letting a lot of air out of the tire. You will need to pump them up again. A low pressure will trigger an alarm in the sensor and the system will notice the new sensor while in learn mode. Doesn't work for all systems, but I'm told this is often what GM dealers do. Maybe somebody can confirm for the XLR.

This will work in a pinch. The tires have to be flat. You should get warning in DIC of flat tire. When you get that, air the tire back up. When i did it once, I did each tire separately. An air compressor is a must have to do this

I was doing this so much last year while racing 2 or 3 times a month, I had to go ahead and get my own tool. Since I like trolling eBay I found an ATEQ VT5 for $49.99 and pounced on it. (they're normally $80 or more)
s-l400.jpg

Works great so I keep it on the shelf below my 2 sets of racing wheels/tires. Whenever I change config, its right there in front of me ready to go. Compact, light and one button idiot proof (well almost, gotta change the 9V battery when it says so).

Sensors

My sensors are activated, but it's not showing up on the DIC. That's my problem, I don't know how to set up the DIC.

Finally up and running.

Took my Cadillac XLR to Legends in Scottsdale, AZ. and Danny the owner got them up and running. Awesome job Danny. Legends in Scottsdale, AZ is the place for Cadillac XLR work if needed. AL.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom