Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Letting the heat out

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
I know I have mentioned this other @ places, one of the easiest and best things you can do for your vehicles is to open the hood and let the underhood heat out when you get done driving. The heat bakes everything under the hood including the hood. :mad: Just open the hood and walk away...pretty simple.

Bruce :wave:

That's what I do after a drive. Pull in the garage, open the hood. You can feel the heat!! I worry about the engine shroud warping from the heat.

Another part that was mentioned (by CadillacTech) to reduce heat was the fender liner. The 04's had no 'vents' in them; the successive years had them. I just bought a set for Misty - they were pretty cheap. I know they'll help with heat around the wheels - we'll see if they help anywhere else.

old liner with no vents:

IMG_0317.jpg

Heat

The parade was well over an hour, the temp indicator usually is just over the quarter mark, by the time the parade ended it was to the half way mark. Drove home, 3 miles and it barely started to go back down. Backed into the garage and by the time I was out of the car and to the driveway the fans had shut off so mine seems to cool down pretty fast. I left the garage door open for two hours while I had dinner. I remember you told us to raise the hood but I temporarly forgot. Half Heimers. :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

I know I have mentioned this other @ places, one of the easiest and best things you can do for your vehicles is to open the hood and let the underhood heat out when you get done driving. The heat bakes everything under the hood including the hood. :mad: Just open the hood and walk away...pretty simple.

Bruce :wave:

Interesting that you mention this. I have done this with my Corvette ever since I bought it. With all of the damn rubber hoses and tubes shoved under the plenum into the engine's "V", I didn't want the excessive heat buildup to prematurely destroy the tubing.

Vacuum leaks under that plenum are a *****, and it's a royal pain in the butt to have to take it off and track down the leak.

Also, doesn't the excessive heat cause varnishing of the fuel on the inside of the rails over time?

Interesting that you mention this. I have done this with my Corvette ever since I bought it. With all of the damn rubber hoses and tubes shoved under the plenum into the engine's "V", I didn't want the excessive heat buildup to prematurely destroy the tubing.

Vacuum leaks under that plenum are a *****, and it's a royal pain in the butt to have to take it off and track down the leak.

Also, doesn't the excessive heat cause varnishing of the fuel on the inside of the rails over time?

We have been doing this for years on all of our vehicles, I think it really helps in the long run. I hate to think of everything under the hood baking when the car is parked. Over the years of working on cars, I've seen the heat take it's toll on rubber, plastics and the painted surfaces.

Yes, heat can cause the fuel to varnish in the fuel rail and in the injectors.

Thanks Bruce,

I have taken your advice ever since you first recommended it. I also place a fan in front of the car (over kill?). Also, if anyone is wondering, the hood light goes out after awhile so you don’t have to worry about running the battery down.

Thanks Bruce,

I have taken your advice ever since you first recommended it. I also place a fan in front of the car (over kill?). Also, if anyone is wondering, the hood light goes out after awhile so you don’t have to worry about running the battery down.

Thank you for answering my question, before it was asked. :cool:

Thanks Bruce,

Not over kill, I use a fan as well.

HOOD LIGHT

HOOD LIGHT!! WHEN DID THEY STOP PUTTING ONE IN ? MY 08 DOESN'T HAVE ONE ...:cool:

HOOD LIGHT!! WHEN DID THEY STOP PUTTING ONE IN ? MY 08 DOESN'T HAVE ONE ...:cool:

Mine doesn't have one either!! It's a 07. Can't say that I've every needed it. :dunno: Yet.

Same thing with Vettes, my '86 had two lights, I forget when they dropped to one, maybe my '98 or '02, now the latest has zero!!! Gotta love those bean counters!!!:mad:

Floyd (BB)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back