Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Looking for certified XLR tech in Michigan

bluebeast

Seasoned Member
I'm hoping that somebody in the community might be able to help me locate a XLR certified tech. My experiences with dealers in southeast Michigan have not been very rewarding. I have been told by service managers and writers that they have techs with more than 20 or 30 years experience. I don't care about experience that predates 2004 or does not involve XLRs. If I can find a tech that does not waste my time, money or both, I could consider that the most valuable discovery a XLR owner could hope for. We are currently dealing with an unresponsive top situation that I have placed in the hands of 2 different dealers and have come home both times with the problem unresolved. I live in central Michigan (Jackson) and I would greatly appreciate hearing from anybody who might be able to offer any tips that might be of assistance. We are hands-on enthusiasts and we are happy to share with other XLR owners. If we have experiences that we can share or if somebody needs a couple helping hands, give us a shout.

There are plenty of folks on this site who would be willing to help you out, but "an unresponsive top situation" description is a bit vague to offer any constructive advice.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Unresponsive top

There are plenty of folks on this site who would be willing to help you out, but "an unresponsive top situation" is a bit vague to offer any constructive advice.

When you push the button to raise or lower the top nothing happens. The hydraulic pump does not run. The windows do not lower. No DIC message related to top operation. The valet switch is off. The deck lid opens and closes just fine. The top is up and properly latched. The top operation appears to have been disabled in some manner. I find no other words to describe the situation besides unresponsive top. Back to the original topic.I need a knowledgeable tech or somebody that owns a Tech 2 that can communicate with the car to determine what is responsible for the unresponsive top situation. If there is something I have missed, please let me know.

You can try one thing that you can do yourself and that's to index the driver and passenger side windows. If they are out of whack, nothing else will work as far as top operation goes.

Windows have been indexed

You can try one thing that you can do yourself and that's to index the driver and passenger side windows. If they are out of whack, nothing else will work as far as top operation goes.

The windows have been properly indexed. Lower them hold the button down, raise them hold the button down, etc. I'm fairly certain that the basic remedies have been attempted but tell me more if you have anything. Thanks.

The windows have been properly indexed. Lower them hold the button down, raise them hold the button down, etc. I'm fairly certain that the basic remedies have been attempted but tell me more if you have anything. Thanks.

Anything more and you're gonna have to find someone with a TECHII to continue

I'm assuming you have contacted the Cadillac dealer, in or near Jackson to see if they had a XLR tech?

If no response from Michigan XLR owners here, you'll have to contact the Cadillac dealer's service departments along the I-94 corridor from Ann Arbor to Kalamazoo next,,,possibly Lansing as well. I would think there still must be one tech still employed in your area.

Another thought,,,,,Buick at one time made the retractable top on one of their models back in that same time frame...... and a certified Buick Tech with folding roof knowledge probably could also help you with your situation. Atleast that is where I would check next if you are drawing a blank for a XLR tech at this point in time.

Good luck!

I'm assuming you have contacted the Cadillac dealer, in or near Jackson to see if they had a XLR tech?

If no response from Michigan XLR owners here, you'll have to contact the Cadillac dealer's service departments along the I-94 corridor from Ann Arbor to Kalamazoo next,,,possibly Lansing as well. I would think there still must be one tech still employed in your area.

Another thought,,,,,Buick at one time made the retractable top on one of their models back in that same time frame...... and a certified Buick Tech with folding roof knowledge probably could also help you with your situation. Atleast that is where I would check next if you are drawing a blank for a XLR tech at this point in time.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Jackson Cadillac told me straight up that they didn't have anybody that could help. Ann Arbor doesn't have a certified XLR tech but they are a multi brand GM dealer and maybe they might have somebody that can help. As well as your Buick suggestion, I have been told that the C6 and C7 Corvettes have power convertible tops and Chevy dealers might be a possible source for help. The only problem is that when dealing with a "maybe we can help you" situation, if I say that if they can't diagnose or resolve the problem in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable cost they tend to get their shorts into a bit of a knot. I will be searching the areas you have suggested tomorrow and if I strike gold and find somebody that resolves the problem without wasting my time or money, you can bet that everybody will hear about it. Thanks again.

Good luck!

I've been wracking my brain to remember a convertible hardtop from Buick in the early to mid 2000's. I didn't keep up with too many cars during that period. Refresh my memory

Last edited:
I don't recall Buick having a hardtop convertible during that timeframe. You might be thinking of the SSR which used a similar top.

If the windows are indexed, fuses are good, and all connectors are in place, the first thing to check is the Folding Top Control switch, to see of the control module is even getting a command.

Does the rear decklid work?

The bottom line is, a decent Technician with a tech manual and a Tech 2 shouldn't have that much trouble figuring out what's going on; at least enough to initiate a call to the GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center) for expert help. The Tech 2 can perform a diagnostic scan of the folding top system. If done, what were the results?

The Pontiac G6 had a convertible hardtop during the time our XLRs were made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

top problem response

I don't recall Buick having a hardtop convertible during that timeframe. You might be thinking of the SSR which used a similar top.

If the windows are indexed, fuses are good, and all connectors are in place, the first thing to check is the Folding Top Control switch, to see of the control module is even getting a command.

Does the rear decklid work?

The bottom line is, a decent Technician with a tech manual and a Tech 2 shouldn't have that much trouble figuring out what's going on; at least enough to initiate a call to the GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center) for expert help. The Tech 2 can perform a diagnostic scan of the folding top system. If done, what were the results?

Yes the decklid (trunklid) opens and closes just fine. The top control switch worked fine (when pushed I could hear the pump run after the windows lowered) but after getting the car back from the dealer this last time, I get nothing. The real challenge I'm having is finding a tech that knows where to go and what to look for. Anybody can plug in a Tech 2 and stumble around looking for something that doesn't look right. What i'm hoping for is a recommendation for a central Michigan tech that knows XLRs inside and out. Thanks.

Considering the last XLR'S were made 7 years ago, and knowing how much turnover there is in mechanics staying in one place, you're going to be hard pressed to find one, and when you do, get his personal phone number to keep track of him/her. With the diminishing numbers of cars, a lot of XLR certified mechanics could gave forgotten what they trained for. Another example of if you don't use it you lose it

Considering the last XLR'S were made 7 years ago, and knowing how much turnover there is in mechanics staying in one place, you're going to be hard pressed to find one, and when you do, get his personal phone number to keep track of him/her. With the diminishing numbers of cars, a lot of XLR certified mechanics could gave forgotten what they trained for. Another example of if you don't use it you lose it

If I find a great XLR tech I will consider it the equivalent of finding gold. Establishing and maintaining a relationship will be highest priority. I knew I would need to do this but I didn't anticipate the need arising so quickly. We purchased the car last fall, put it up for the winter, got it out at the end of May and hoped for the best. Didn't happen. I have a friend who owns a 1987 Callaway Corvette and it spends half of it's life broken, waiting to be fixed. I have seen up close what happens when somebody works on this Callaway that is not qualified. I am willing to do whatever is necessary to prevent finding myself in the same situation. If I strike gold finding a great XLR tech you can bet I will let everybody know about it.

Sorry for my error,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Pontiac G6 had a convertible hardtop during the time our XLRs were made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a Pontiac, not a Buick. I was at a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership once years ago,,,and seen a tech working on a retractable roof issue.... Since Pontiac is gone,,,I must have had Buick on my mind when posting.

I wouldn't waste the time/$$$ trying to have a Corvette tech trying to solve your problem with the folding roof.....JMO

It was a Pontiac, not a Buick. I was at a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership once years ago,,,and seen a tech working on a retractable roof issue.... Since Pontiac is gone,,,I must have had Buick on my mind when posting.

I wouldn't waste the time/$$$ trying to have a Corvette tech trying to solve your problem with the folding roof.....JMO

Thanks. A Chevy tech is definitely plan B. I have found a Cadillac dealer in Highland, MI. that claims to have a XLR certified tech and I made an appointment for Monday. I'll let you know how things go.

"I have found a Cadillac dealer in Highland, MI. that claims to have a XLR certified tech ,,,,,"

Blue,,,,,,,,,,Good news! :thumbsup Hope they get you fixed up with your top issue .......

I guess the trunk divider is in place if not top will not work micro switch is on drivers side.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom