Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Looking for replacement headlights

Luparello

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR - Platinum with Ebony Interior
Hi all,
I'm looking for replacement headlights for my 2005 XLR. The car was originally in FL and the covers on the headlights are in pretty bad shape. We assume we'll need to replace the entire unit.
Thanks,
Diane

Hi all,
I'm looking for replacement headlights for my 2005 XLR. The car was originally in FL and the covers on the headlights are in pretty bad shape. We assume we'll need to replace the entire unit.
Thanks,
Diane

When I bought my '05 last year, I had the typical "burnt/melted" turn signal lights (typical of 04/05 XLR's), I ended up finding used replacement headlights on eBay. There are quite a few on eBay (paid between $125 - $200 a piece)... you just need to make sure you see the actual headlight - to make sure there are no cracks or the same MELTED lens. NEW these are around $1000 a piece.
If your car still has some kind of warranty, they might be covered. Worth checking into.

Stone chip in Headlight

So this week I found that a stone or something hit my left headlight and the impact was such that, a large gouge was put in the lens, and the chrome trim around the HID light broke off (loose pieces inside housing) and the lens in front of the DRL bulb popped off (laying loose also). Insurance says it is covered under comprehensive part of policy - so its only going to cost me $50 for a new headlight. The bummer part is, I just replaced this headlight due to the other Used one I found last year, had a seal issue. Oh well, now all will be taken care of. :)

Has anyone put the 3M clear plastic covers/protectors on their headlights?

If so, how did it work out? Are you happy with them?

I had my headlights and fog lights professionally covered... not sure which product they used. Very happy!!! Have rock chips all over the front but the headlamps and clean... cost a couple hundred bucks, but figured it's much less than new headlamps.

I have 3M Headlamp film on all of my lights and did the application myself, not to hard to do but takes a bit of patience. Very happy with the results and the functionality of the product.

:cool:

Hey!!! You live near me! There aren't many of us in NC. I need to replace my headlights, too. I just can't get the scratches out!

XFire - where did you get your 3M film...finding different types and a wide range of prices on eBay...

Hey!!! You live near me! There aren't many of us in NC. I need to replace my headlights, too. I just can't get the scratches out!

Batgirl....The 3M Headlamp Restoration works great, you just need a power drill, masking tape and a little patience. After doing the "restoration" apply the 3M film and you are done.

:cool:

Batgirl, just saw one of each side on Ebay if you are still looking. Or you could wait and we could try to polish them when you come up to the PA Tour.

Batgirl, just saw one of each side on Ebay if you are still looking. Or you could wait and we could try to polish them when you come up to the PA Tour.

Thanks for letting me know. I looked on ebay a second ago, but I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for. The ones I have now have a melted look. Because these were known to be defective, do I need to go with a newer model headlight (my car is a 2005)? Also, I've tried the kits...I'm not sure if it was 3M. Some of the scratches are really deep and there is some type of overspray that I can't get off. Someone suggested that I could sand them down with wet/dry sandpaper and then have them sprayed with a clear coat. I'll try looking on ebay again.....:)

From what I have read on here from some of the tech members, it was a design issue / flaw for pre 2006 or 2007 models. That being said I would look for something at least those years or newer. Don't forget to check your 'local salvage yard' as they have national locator databases.
As for the scratches / overspray and hazing: If you are not replacing the headlights - the whole sanding the lense and polishing out the scratches is a process. Clear coating the lense is not something I would do.

From what I have read on here from some of the tech members, it was a design issue / flaw for pre 2006 or 2007 models. That being said I would look for something at least those years or newer. Don't forget to check your 'local salvage yard' as they have national locator databases.
As for the scratches / overspray and hazing: If you are not replacing the headlights - the whole sanding the lense and polishing out the scratches is a process. Clear coating the lense is not something I would do.

Kathi,

Also keep in mind that if you get a 2006 or newer headlight, you will need to purchase an "adapter" that allows you to plug in the newer headlight into the older 2004/2005 plug (goes from double row of connectors to single row of connectors). I updated both of my headlights to the newer ones (I too, had the melted DRL lenses when I bought my car).

Good luck on your search. :wave:

I have a used set, far from perfect, but better than many I looked at. I'll let them go cheap if yours are in bad shape. I will send pics first if you are interested.
Bruce

I have a used set, far from perfect, but better than many I looked at. I'll let them go cheap if yours are in bad shape. I will send pics first if you are interested.
Bruce

I'm interested.

Can you send pics to Jarrod_hess@yahoo.com

Are they from your 05? I'm assuming they don't have the "burnt lens" issue?

Mine are from an '05, and they have some melt, but they are better than many sets I saw on other cars.
Bruce

Dave, I am thinking it is time to change my headlights out. Do the 04,05's have the single row connectors, and 06 and newer have the double row? Do you have a part number for the "adaptor"?

Yes, Brian, you are correct. The Part # for the "jumper" is: 19120977. I ordered mine through gmpartsdirect.com.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back