Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Mesh Grille Technical Impacts

majik755

I know that upper and lower mesh grilles on an XLR result in the loss of cruise control, but now I'm being told it also impacts the air flow causing the computer to throw codes, usually resulting in the Service Engine Soon light randomly coming on... has anyone else seen this? My mechanic says there was a GM bulletin describing all the problems caused by this upgrade, but has not found it to show me. Other than the cruise control, I had not heard of any other problems. I bought my car with the grille already installed so I'm at a loss at this point.

I know that upper and lower mesh grilles on an XLR result in the loss of cruise control, but now I'm being told it also impacts the air flow causing the computer to throw codes, usually resulting in the Service Engine Soon light randomly coming on... has anyone else seen this? My mechanic says there was a GM bulletin describing all the problems caused by this upgrade, but has not found it to show me. Other than the cruise control, I had not heard of any other problems. I bought my car with the grille already installed so I'm at a loss at this point.

I had just the upper mesh grill installed on my '06 XLR and have had no problems, no codes. Knowing the original grill did not let air flow through I wondered if it would create a problem having more air intake but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have lost track of how many long trips I have taken since I had the mesh grill installed and everything performed as it should. Hope this helps and is a little encouragement for you.

Only the lower mesh grille will effect the ACC. I had the upper mesh grille on the '04 XLR i had, along with K & N filters and only had one problem and it was caused by the oil on the filters (too much) getting on the mass air sensor. I don't know why it would effect the regular XLR and not the V's which have the mesh grille:dunno: They both seem to get most of their air from below.

I cannot offer a suggestion except as a reference point. My dealer relaced my XLR grills, upper and lower, with mesh grills. Everthing works fine including my cruise control.

Steve
2008 XLR, silver over black, 6K miles, rear sway bar, mesh grill, chrome wheels, Cadi windscreen, most enjoyable car I have ever owned.

Thanks for the replies. I was suspect due to the fact the Service message comes on when I start the car, not when its moving. They say there is a GM bulletin, which I've yet to see that warns about the cruise control and the air flow problem. They wanted to replace my grille with the original, but I bought the car with the mesh installed. They are supposedly modifying my grille with parts from an old original grille to deflect air flow to the mass air sensor. We'll see... I'll keep you posted and also try and get the GM bulletin info. Thanks again.

Here's the analysis from the GM Tech. After reviewing the engine data, the code is being set around 40mph. Based on the GM bulletin about lower grille changes, he said "the issue is that normally behind the side lenses there is no air intake. The center piece allows air through and there are some deflectors that channel the air in and up through the radiator. Those deflectors are gone causing incoming air pressure to go around the radiator shroud and up to the air intakes causing this error in MAF calculation."

That seems to be the ground Cadillac is sticking to, the suggested fix is to replace the lower grille and associated parts per original specs. Having bought the car after the changes were made means ordering the parts for replacement. I'll let you know how the story goes, of course there is no guarantee this will fix the issue, but all other options have been pursued. :dunno:

LATEST UPDATE:
:(
After waiting two weeks for diagnosis and parts, the lower grille was removed and replaced with a stock grille and the supporting sir deflectors that funnel airflow up past the radiator towards to air intakes. A day after getting the car back the "Service Vehicle Soon" message returned in the DIC and the car was returned to the dealership for attempt #7 to repair...

To recap : 1) new throttle body 2) gas cap and mass air sensor 3) reload updated programming into ECM 4) another new throttle body (supposedly new model) 5) new air intake manifold gaskets and tighten loosened bolts 6) remove aftermarket mesh lower grille and restore original parts due to GM bulletin :mad:

Car runs fine, but manual indicates this message indicates engine problem and should be taken to dealer immediately. My concern is the "boy that cried wolf syndrome", someday this message may indicate real problem! Right now it gives the typical air flow codes associated with mass air/throttle body problems and sets at a speed of 40mph, message appears the next time I start up the car.

I've suggested a new computer, maybe there's a problem there. Cadillac insists that cannot be the problem.

Thank God for warranty, although the last change was out of pocket because they blamed the aftermarket product, though apparently unfounded. :pat:

I had just the upper mesh grill installed on my '06 XLR and have had no problems, no codes. Knowing the original grill did not let air flow through I wondered if it would create a problem having more air intake but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have lost track of how many long trips I have taken since I had the mesh grill installed and everything performed as it should. Hope this helps and is a little encouragement for you.

I'm interested in changing the upper grille only on my 2006. Did you order the grille yourself or from the dealer?
Also , is it a do-it - self job?

I cannot offer a suggestion except as a reference point. My dealer relaced my XLR grills, upper and lower, with mesh grills. Everthing works fine including my cruise control.

Steve
2008 XLR, silver over black, 6K miles, rear sway bar, mesh grill, chrome wheels, Cadi windscreen, most enjoyable car I have ever owned.

Steve...I met 2 owners at a recent car show, both with 2008 XLR's that had both mesh grilles (upper & lower) installed on both cars and their ACC worked just fine. My wonder is.....is this only true for the 2008 model year or for all model years.

:cool:

Steve...I met 2 owners at a recent car show, both with 2008 XLR's that had both mesh grilles (upper & lower) installed on both cars and their ACC worked just fine. My wonder is.....is this only true for the 2008 model year or for all model years.

:cool:

I do not know. My guess is that since the 2004-2008 used the same body style, it should not matter. However, if a modification is needed to make it work, the dealer did not tell me, so I cannot advise what modification might be required. Sorry, I don't know more details. Now if you want to talk about adding a rear sway bar, I know all about that.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom