Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Mild2Wild battery drain with data

Phrede

Seasoned Member
I finally got around to being able to answer the question about the Mild2Wild manual exhaust control for V series exhaust draining the battery. These are measurements from my 2008. YMMV

It made no difference at any time what mode the system was left in at shut down.

There were 2 changes based on time. The first occurs about 2.25 minutes the next at about 4.5 minutes.
The initial current fluctuates between 4.5 and 5.5 amps.
After 4.5 minutes the current with the Mild2Wild installed drops to about 17mA with the Mild2Wild removed it is 10mA.
After 4 hours with the Mild2Wild installed the current was still at 17mA.

Significant? IMHO, I don't think so. Given that my battery is rated at 48Ah and reducing it by 4 times the initial load to be conservative drops it to 47Ah, the reserve time with it installed is 2764 hours or 115 days. Without it connected 4700 hours or 195 days.

I don't for a second think that a battery will last that long so there must be more factors like periodically "waking up" or ??. In any case, I don't think the additional 7mA drain is much to worry about.

I did find it interesting that if I left the trunk open the load was 100mA after 5 minutes. This was with the trunk lights were off. I've got no explanation for that other than the system keeps the trunk/roof control module awake if the trunk is open. It may have gone down after more time.

HTH

Thanks for finding that out Phrede. Still leaves the mystery of why the battery in our V runs down so much faster than the base, when they both have the same batteries that are about the same age. I really wonder if V's just have more parisitic drain overall since they have some more electronic features the bases don't.

Thanks for finding that out Phrede. Still leaves the mystery of why the battery in our V runs down so much faster than the base, when they both have the same batteries that are about the same age. I really wonder if V's just have more parisitic drain overall since they have some more electronic features the bases don't.

You are in a fairly unique position to judge the differences between a base and a V. Don't forget that it may be something unique to your individual cars rather than the model. Do you have any other data showing Vs drain faster?

There certainly must be more to the story, other than keyfob location, as to why our cars have such a poor shelf life when it comes to batteries. At 17mA there should not be a problem. Short of putting a line recorder on one I will only be able to guess why. I suspect something is periodically waking up. FWIW I have my OnStar module disconnected and all other aftermarket devices are on switched power lines.

Kind of a strange coincidence is that my daily driver had a discharged battery last week after not being driven for 5 days. It is a 2012 RAV4 also with PB start and auto fob door locking. This is the first time it has done it and I found no reason for the discharge. :dunno:

I don't have any data on V battery drain vs. base, just a guess I threw out because they do have more potential battery drainers than the base.

We have had more electrical "hiccups" with the V than the base - even though it has less than half the miles & is a model year newer - I'm pretty sure it led a harder life in the past. Sometimes these cars just seem to have a ghost in the machine or a widget problem from one to another for no clearly apparent reason. It may well be like you said that it's unique to our V. Not a critical issue though now that we're on top of it & keep a tender/maintenance charger on it whenever it sits for more than a week.

how did you disconnect the onstar ?
fuse or unplug the actual module?
thx

how did you disconnect the onstar ?
fuse or unplug the actual module?
thx

Back when OnStar was talking about monitoring non-subscribers I unpluged the module. Mine was located forward in the trunk on the right side behind the carpet. I personally have no use for OnStar.

Revisted thread,,, Question

Back when OnStar was talking about monitoring non-subscribers I unpluged the module. Mine was located forward in the trunk on the right side behind the carpet. I personally have no use for OnStar.

I also have no use for OnStar. Would pulling out the OnStar fuse be beneficial to slow down battery drain? '05 Base

Thanks for any replies,

p z

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry