Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MP3 / iPod

An AUX1 harness wires a 3.5mm male connector to the input of the radio, and AUX2 harness adds a 3.5mm female plug which disconnects the output of the XM audio when you plug in a 3.5mm jumper into the 3.5mm receptacle.

Electrically, the input would be the same with both adapters to the stereo.

That what I thought when I bought the AUX2. However, after my harness install, the XM volume is lower when nothing is plugged in than it was before. I don't know if I have a bad connection in the harness or if the receptacle that does the XM/BT switching add resistance to the circuit lowering volume.

Also, the amp only adjusts the BT volume to FM level. The XM volume is still lower than FM.

i want to do this!

On a recent road trip I hit a bump on I-40 just as my cd changer was changing discs. Needless to say, that was it for the changer. Anyway, I took the radio out and dismantled the changer and recovered my cd's, no small job! Not sure if the changer works and I don't plan to find out. I read this entire thread (and others) several times and I want to get the Ray Kawal and the Kinivo. Despite being confident enough to tear apart the dash board and radio system, I have some concerns about this "easy" mod. First, can I get to the xm receiver through the center console or rear compartment or both?
If center console, I don't see any screws other than the ones in the front of the storage container connected to shifter support I noticed when I had that piece off. Are those the key to remover storage bin? If rear compartment, how and where do I begin to tear that away? Finally, those of you that posted pics looks like a real clean install of the aux jack inside under the armrest. I've never done anything like that before, does Ray's kit come with what I need? I'd hate to drill and ruin the storage bin or have to just leave the aux jack dangling inside there.

Thanks.

On a recent road trip I hit a bump on I-40 just as my cd changer was changing discs. Needless to say, that was it for the changer. Anyway, I took the radio out and dismantled the changer and recovered my cd's, no small job! Not sure if the changer works and I don't plan to find out. I read this entire thread (and others) several times and I want to get the Ray Kawal and the Kinivo. Despite being confident enough to tear apart the dash board and radio system, I have some concerns about this "easy" mod. First, can I get to the xm receiver through the center console or rear compartment or both?
If center console, I don't see any screws other than the ones in the front of the storage container connected to shifter support I noticed when I had that piece off. Are those the key to remover storage bin? If rear compartment, how and where do I begin to tear that away? Finally, those of you that posted pics looks like a real clean install of the aux jack inside under the armrest. I've never done anything like that before, does Ray's kit come with what I need? I'd hate to drill and ruin the storage bin or have to just leave the aux jack dangling inside there.

Thanks.

The XM connector is behind the rear compartment between the seats, in interior compartment. Just four screws to remove.The cable runs free in the small gap to the center console. No drilling needed.

PM an email if you would like pics to better explain.

Thanks

The XM connector is behind the rear compartment between the seats, in interior compartment. Just four screws to remove.The cable runs free in the small gap to the center console. No drilling needed.

PM an email if you would like pics to better explain.

Thanks for the pics. I completely forgot about the compartment between the seats! One of CC's posts in this thread mentioned removing the storage bin under the armrest so I was fixated on that. I never use the one between the seats, forgot it was there. Thanks!

This one works great too. There are many different style (models). Bluetooth hands-free phone calls are very clear. I'm using a 32GB USB stick for music, sounds good.
WP_20170417_11_16_03_Pro.jpgNo Drilling :)
Wireless Bluetooth LCD MP3 Player Car Kit SD MMC USB FM Transmitter Modulator | eBay

Thanks.

Don't do like I did TIP: I thought I'd be smart and direct wire to the console power outlet I ended up buying a new Kivino unit because the wires when I cut them must be like a fiber optic type, so I could not direct hot wire it to power the Kivino unit I ended up buying a small adapter unit that sets inside the console compartment, it has two power outlets and also two USB ports it is nice to have extra ports. Just to let you know the XM signal box if you're looking in from the trunk it is on the right top corner where the waterfall comes back into. I wired mine jack from inside the waterfall box to the XM unit if I unplug that jack I can still listen to XM if subscribed. I know my Kivino box as you can see in the picture down on the driver side close to the climate control on the front. The Kivino unit has an annoying flashing blue LED light which I wish it would just stay lit. Where I mounted it seems to be a good spot, especially at nighttime driving it's not so annoying. I tucked the wire up through the console and under the leather side strip, along the side of the console to make a nice looking install. I may end up moving the Jack to inside the armrest compartment sometime just to make it a little neater install. I'm attaching a few pictures of how I installed my unit just to give you an idea. Hope this helps you install yours! [emoji6]
ce23a5296def94a96c6d434036bc9dbd.jpg
807120a9c98ea372c5b67b185842d1ce.jpg

b762414c4dd5ba5d777e2bb2d95cd1fd.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry