Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MP3 / iPod

Installation in a 2009 XLR.

Well I'm not sure if anybody has installed Ray's cable in a 2009 yet. I bought the AUX-2 for my 2009 XLR-V and unfortunately does not work. Sad thing is I bought the BTC455 and the line filter as was suggested in another post and can't use those. Nothing as far as receiving the signal from either of my phones, one is a iPhone 5S, the other an Android Droid 4, and a Kindle Fire HDX. All 3 of those devices work for headphones etc. Something I noticed when I plug the patch cord in and connected to one of my devices, I get a weak signal from the XM. I realized this when I turned up the radio volumn with the patch cord connected. I really can't think the factory blue tooth has anything to do with it as I've dissabled it from my devices when connected with the patch cord. Remember, 2009 was the only year that had bluetooth capable for a cell phone. Too bad the radio will not play from the bluetooth on the phone, but that's the way it was built I guess.

Well I'm not sure if anybody has installed Ray's cable in a 2009 yet. I bought the AUX-2 for my 2009 XLR-V and unfortunately does not work. Sad thing is I bought the BTC455 and the line filter as was suggested in another post and can't use those. Nothing as far as receiving the signal from either of my phones, one is a iPhone 5S, the other an Android Droid 4, and a Kindle Fire HDX. All 3 of those devices work for headphones etc. Something I noticed when I plug the patch cord in and connected to one of my devices, I get a weak signal from the XM. I realized this when I turned up the radio volumn with the patch cord connected. I really can't think the factory blue tooth has anything to do with it as I've dissabled it from my devices when connected with the patch cord. Remember, 2009 was the only year that had bluetooth capable for a cell phone. Too bad the radio will not play from the bluetooth on the phone, but that's the way it was built I guess.

Sorry to hear your having problems. I wouldn't think the 2009 XM interface is any different to the other years.

Are you saying the BTC will not pair with any of your phones AND the AUX is not working?

Are you using the amp too? Otherwise is there a need for the line filter? What happens when you remove the line filter?

Are you sure the phones are not connecting to the car bluetooth preventing them from connecting to the BTC? This is easily confirmed on the Android phone, I know. You could also confirm that it is set for music as well as phone.

I have not used an AUX2 to know if it switches the common as well as the signal lines (I doubt it), but it sounds like maybe the BTC is not turning on, a problem in the socket or the plug is not fully inserted. I would run it past Ray and see what he says. I know if I turn my volume way up when the BTC is not on and connected I get some noise. Easily solved by turning on the BTC and connecting.

I did talk to Ray. We are working on it and will have an update next week. Let me start over on this to clarify matters better. I disconnected the body harness from the XM receiver. Very easy to do by crawling in the trunk, plus the 09 does not have the curtain like all previous models. I connected the AUX-2 harness, all went together easily. There were no problems with connectors or anything like that. I slipped the auxillary harness with the 3.5mm jack down the back cover behind the seat and did not drill holes or anything like that, yet. I plugged in the patch cord to the 3.5mm socket and the other end to my iPhone. Also tried 2 other android devices. No sound from the devices. When the patch cord was plugged in, I am getting a weak signal from the XM. I discovered this when I thought I needed to turn up the volumn to hear the sound from the phone. This, weak signal from XM, should not be happening as there should be NO signal from the XM receiver when the patch cord is plugged in.

All bluetooth connections were turned off or dissabled on all devices. The only time bluetooth works is if there is a phone call in progress, and like Ray also said, blue tooth works through onstar transmitter/receiver. Bluetooth in the car has nothing to do with the XM. Like Ray and I talked, the AUX-2 is the harness to have if you want to have XM when the patch cord is disconnected. Patch cord plugged in and XM signal is cut off. I'm just not getting any sound from my devices. I also tried a different patch cord, same results. We think there might be something wrong inside the socket for the patch cord. Not sure just yet.

Phrede, I have not even taken the BTC455 or the line filter out of their boxes yet. Just went ahead and bought them to have when installing the harness. No amp is being used. The line filter was inexpensive and ordered it from Amazon with the BTC455.

I did talk to Ray. We are working on it and will have an update next week. Let me start over on this to clarify matters better. I disconnected the body harness from the XM receiver. Very easy to do by crawling in the trunk, plus the 09 does not have the curtain like all previous models. I connected the AUX-2 harness, all went together easily. There were no problems with connectors or anything like that. I slipped the auxillary harness with the 3.5mm jack down the back cover behind the seat and did not drill holes or anything like that, yet. I plugged in the patch cord to the 3.5mm socket and the other end to my iPhone. Also tried 2 other android devices. No sound from the devices. When the patch cord was plugged in, I am getting a weak signal from the XM. I discovered this when I thought I needed to turn up the volumn to hear the sound from the phone. This, weak signal from XM, should not be happening as there should be NO signal from the XM receiver when the patch cord is plugged in.

All bluetooth connections were turned off or dissabled on all devices. The only time bluetooth works is if there is a phone call in progress, and like Ray also said, blue tooth works through onstar transmitter/receiver. Bluetooth in the car has nothing to do with the XM. Like Ray and I talked, the AUX-2 is the harness to have if you want to have XM when the patch cord is disconnected. Patch cord plugged in and XM signal is cut off. I'm just not getting any sound from my devices. I also tried a different patch cord, same results. We think there might be something wrong inside the socket for the patch cord. Not sure just yet.

Phrede, I have not even taken the BTC455 or the line filter out of their boxes yet. Just went ahead and bought them to have when installing the harness. No amp is being used. The line filter was inexpensive and ordered it from Amazon with the BTC455.

Not sure what "curtain" you are referring to, not important.

It does sound like there may be a problem with the AUX-2 interface. Especially in the 3.5mm socket area since it is acting somewhat like what happens when a plug is not fully inserted. I'm sure Ray will get it resolved.

Once you do get it working you probably will not need the filter. I didn't until I added the amp and that is where the noise came from.

It sounds like you are saying that the Cadillac bluetooth function on '09s is for calls only with no music (A2DP) function. Which is exactly why adding the interface is needed.

Don't forget that the Onstar/Bluetooth module can mute any audio source (AM/FM/WX/CD/XM) at the cars audio amp. This normally only happens when there is a call in progress. I would make sure any pairing is deleted just to be safe.

Just checking, your phones do work with headphones plugged in right?

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I built my own version of this cable, and by looking at all the wiring, for the 2004 at least, the issue is there are no mini-plug input modules that cut out the audio ground when you plug in a patch cord.

What I've seen is all the audio grounds end up all grounding together to the radio, and if you have a direct connection to a phone or mp3 player you seem to hear the xm a little. Using the Bluetooth adapter seems to fix this issue, I'm not sure if it's because the Bluetooth through the 5 to 12 volt adapter is grounded to the car and the portable device is not which causes the difference.

If plugging in your patch cord cuts out the audio from the XM while it's playing mostly, I would try another patch cord if you've only tried one.

If you are going to use the Bluetooth adapter mostly, I would try that.

Where did you find the connector on the XM end? That was what made me look at buying the AUX from Ray.

What you are saying makes lots of sense to me as I ran into ground loop issues when using an amp. I was happy that an inexpensive filter fixed it.

Trying the blue tooth...

I built my own version of this cable, and by looking at all the wiring, for the 2004 at least, the issue is there are no mini-plug input modules that cut out the audio ground when you plug in a patch cord.

What I've seen is all the audio grounds end up all grounding together to the radio, and if you have a direct connection to a phone or mp3 player you seem to hear the xm a little. Using the Bluetooth adapter seems to fix this issue, I'm not sure if it's because the Bluetooth through the 5 to 12 volt adapter is grounded to the car and the portable device is not which causes the difference.

If plugging in your patch cord cuts out the audio from the XM while it's playing mostly, I would try another patch cord if you've only tried one.

If you are going to use the Bluetooth adapter mostly, I would try that.

If that is what fixed it for you then I'm going to forget going to bed and try the bluetooth. I tried a different patch cord and got the same results. It kinda make sense what you said about the ground. At least it's worth a try to me and I really would rather use the bluetooth to get rid of the cords.

Update: Now I am totally stoked!! That did the trick. I paired 2 devices individually. I'll try pairing a third iphone later in the afternoon. Volume up and down on the phone or tablet, steering wheel volume, volume knob on the radio, take your pick, they can all be adjusted individually. I found the best way to obtain max volume is to adjust the volume on the phone to it's max level turning up and down the stereo volume, after that you can adjust volume with the phone. XM signal does not bleed into the radio when the bluetooth BTC455 is plugged in. It would be a good idea I think to lower the volume and turn off the radio before disconnecting or connecting the bluetooth when switching to or from XM . The instructions with both the AUX-2 and the BTC455 were very good.

Phrede, you will not need the amp and or filter with this harness, unless you are trying to acheive record high sound levels.

Last edited:
If you or someone else has a 2009 Service manual, PM me a schematic of the interconnects between the Satellite Receiver and the Infotainment System and I'll design a cable and get it to Ray.

CC :wave:

2009 FSM

If you or someone else has a 2009 Service manual, PM me a schematic of the interconnects between the Satellite Receiver and the Infotainment System and I'll design a cable and get it to Ray.

I have the factory service manuals for a 2009. I'll look at that later maybe tomorrow and see if I can find those. What section is it in the 2004 manuals, I assume you have yours yet, just to save some time looking. I was going to look at the 2006 set I still have to compare, but just didn't think there would be a difference.

If you can get the schematics from the front of Ch 11, that would be great. I'll compare them to the 2004 and see what's different.

As an aside, the other night I had my iPad in the car and enabled the Knivo. (I keep an iPod in the center storage compartment hardwired to the Knivo.) The music playlist was different from what was playing previously, and it turned out the iPad (which was paired via Bluetooth a few months ago when I tested the features during the Knivo install) paired with the Knivo, overriding the hardwired iPod connection. An iPhone may give similar results.

A hickup.

If you can get the schematics from the front of Ch 11, that would be great. I'll compare them to the 2004 and see what's different.

As an aside, the other night I had my iPad in the car and enabled the Knivo. (I keep an iPod in the center storage compartment hardwired to the Knivo.) The music playlist was different from what was playing previously, and it turned out the iPad (which was paired via Bluetooth a few months ago when I tested the features during the Knivo install) paired with the Knivo, overriding the hardwired iPod connection. An iPhone may give similar results.

Don't know why but when I got in the car later this morning, I was getting a broken signal from the iphone and Kinivo. I shut everything down unplugged and tried again, nothing worked. I noticed this after I backed out of the garage earlier to check the XM when the Kinivo was unplugged. I thought I had plugged the Kinivo back in but maybe not. So I ended up putting the Kinivo back into factory mode, erased everything it had learned. Then I paired with my iphone and it was working again. Several times later I tried again in the garage and it worked. I just hope it isn't going to do this often.

I'm not convinced there is any difference between the years with regard to the XM interface. I also believe Ray is capable of designing these cables.

So it sounds like things are working now?

Last edited:
Working yet

I'm not convinced there is any difference between the years with regard to the XM interface. I also believe Ray is capable of designing these cables.

So it sounds like things are working now?

Yes it is working good yet. I tried it numerous times today switching back and forth from XM to Bluetooth and never encountered a problem.

I arrived in FL to pick up my new-to-me '05 today, and realized with horror that my assumption that it had XM was wrong, and I was in fact thinking of my grandfather's DTS, not my grandmother's XLR. So I'm road tripping back to California with an FM transmitter, and I'll be installing an AppRadio 4 when I get back.

…anyone want to buy an AUX-1F Premium? :lol:

The 05 did have the XM option, mine is an 05 and has its, but they installed a wart antenna on the trunk! It was already on mine when I purchased her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I arrived in FL to pick up my new-to-me '05 today, and realized with horror that my assumption that it had XM was wrong, and I was in fact thinking of my grandfather's DTS, not my grandmother's XLR. So I'm road tripping back to California with an FM transmitter, and I'll be installing an AppRadio 4 when I get back.

Congrats! hope you enjoy your new toy!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Did you look to see if the wiring harness was there and only the XM module (and the wart since it is an '05) is missing? You don't need the module only the harness.

What is the difference between an AUX-1F and an AUX-1F Premium?

Have a safe trip

Did you look to see if the wiring harness was there and only the XM module (and the wart since it is an '05) is missing? You don't need the module only the harness.

What is the difference between an AUX-1F and an AUX-1F Premium?

Have a safe trip

Premium is just a "nicer" connector. From what I understand the module still has to be there because that's what tells the head unit to show the "XM" band, no? I tried hooking it up and didn't see the XM band when I did, though I didn't try restarting the car.

Premium is just a "nicer" connector. From what I understand the module still has to be there because that's what tells the head unit to show the "XM" band, no? I tried hooking it up and didn't see the XM band when I did, though I didn't try restarting the car.

What is this unit used for and what is the purpose of it. Does it support Bluetooth and how much are you asking for it?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry