Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MP3 / iPod

6444johnf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR
On my 2008 X I don't recall a connector for an iPod, so how have others accomplished this electrical feat? I'm not totally sold on Sirus or keeping a stack of CD's

Costaltech used used to make a unit for the XLR, but has ceased making them. The unit that Ray makes; which Kenny listed is the best viable option at this point in time. I have a costaltech unit I'd sell for $50, which I took out because it won't connect to my iPhone 5. I went with Ray's hookup. Only draw back is limited control through the head unit with Ray's connection and there is no power connection to charge your phone when using it. You have to also plug in a charger to the phone.

On my 2008 X I don't recall a connector for an iPod, so how have others accomplished this electrical feat? I'm not totally sold on Sirus or keeping a stack of CD's

Lack of a reliable method to get mobile devices to work with our cars has been an issue for far too long. XM has lost it's appeal and carrying around a stack of CDs isn't much better. I need copious tunes in my car stat!

I've communicated with Ray and will be installing a Kinivo BTC450 and his Aux1-F cable as soon as the parts arrive. For <$100, it's an affordable alternative to have Bluetooth phone/iPod connectivity through the XLR's stereo system, though no functionality with the Infotainment display or steering wheel controls. I had hoped the GM PAL would work, but it isn't meant to be.

I'll document the installation with lots of pictures and post back here once my setup is tested and evaluated.

We shall overcome. Sort of.

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to have bought the coastal tech lock pick while they were still available. It has worked flawlessly for years. Very happy with it although I wouldn't care it it was controlled with the head unit or not. It is a lot easier to control music through the iPhone than the XLr head unit. The lock pick has 2 inputs. A headphone jack and the iPod 30 pin. I hooked a Bluetooth receiver to the headphone input and Bluetooth the iPhone to it most of the time. If Cubby has an old lock pick for sale I would go with that. They work well. Short of that an mp3 input like CCis talking about would be great.

I was fortunate enough to have bought the coastal tech lock pick while they were still available. It has worked flawlessly for years. Very happy with it although I wouldn't care it it was controlled with the head unit or not. It is a lot easier to control music through the iPhone than the XLr head unit. The lock pick has 2 inputs. A headphone jack and the iPod 30 pin. I hooked a Bluetooth receiver to the headphone input and Bluetooth the iPhone to it most of the time. If Cubby has an old lock pick for sale I would go with that. They work well. Short of that an mp3 input like CCis talking about would be great.

This unit is similar, but has the Bluetooth capability built-in. It allows hands-free iphone use, and ipod/ipad bluetooth pairing in one discrete unit with all audio routed to the XLR stereo via the XM receiver. And I agree, I rarely use the deck to control my music, and rely on the steering wheel-mounted controls for the most part. THAT is the capability I was hoping for with the PAL.

CC :wave:

This unit is similar, but has the Bluetooth capability built-in. It allows hands-free iphone use, and ipod/ipad bluetooth pairing in one discrete unit with all audio routed to the XLR stereo via the XM receiver. And I agree, I rarely use the deck to control my music, and rely on the steering wheel-mounted controls for the most part. THAT is the capability I was hoping for with the PAL.

I am very interested in this. I have been looking for a Bluetooth interface and have been procrastinating hacking into the wiring with a couple of components. If there is a plug in option that supports A2DP I'm in. Controlling from the phone is not an issue. Must work with Android, since it is bluetooth should not be an issue there.

I'm interested to! I wish there was away to connect completely wireless! From what I read still need an Aux jack? Which I'm not sure how to wire that in the XLR system! Any one have the wiring diagram for wiring a Aux jack up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

The audio jack part of the install is easy. Ray Kawal has the cable for sale C6 Corvette Modifications. I told him to expect more orders once the Word spreads. If you have any hesitation about installing this, wait until I get mine done and read the write-up I'll post and decide if this is something you want to do. I don't think it will be very difficult as long as you know which end of a screwdriver to use and can follow a procedure. Ray has good documentation (vette-specific though) but I'll send him an XLR-specific procedure when it's complete and tested if he wants to put it on his site. He's a good guy and is very responsive.

His harness "T"s into the existing XM harness, so there is no modification to the existing wiring required. I'm getting the AUX-1F (10' cable) but the 4' will probably work out, since it only needs to run from the XM receiver to the center console (not the center stack.) I'm comfortable shortening the cable as needed, so the extra length doesn't matter.

Basically, you install one end of the adapter cable into the existing XM harness, route the female (jack) end where you want to place the BTC 450, plug the BTC 450 into it, and locate the controller switch wherever you want. The rest is PFM.

I'll probably modify it by cutting off the jack and reterminating it on the front face of the console adjacent to the 12vdc power receptacle. It's prudent to install a switch to de-energize the (always hot) 12 vdc power receptacle to minimize the load on the battery if a mobile device is left under the console pad for an extended period. I'm not a big fan of wires cluttering up my interior, so I want to keep the install clean. I'm still exploring options as to where to locate the BTC 450 control switch where it's accessible, but that's a minor issue.

The BTC 450 is Android-friendly too.

Last edited:
The audio jack part of the install is easy. Ray Kawal has the cable for sale C6 Corvette Modifications. I told him to expect more orders once the Word spreads. If you have any hesitation about installing this, wait until I get mine done and read the write-up I'll post and decide if this is something you want to do. I don't think it will be very difficult as long as you know which end of a screwdriver to use and can follow a procedure. Ray has good documentation (vette-specific though) but I'll send him an XLR-specific procedure when it's complete and tested if he wants to put it on his site. He's a good guy and is very responsive.

His harness "T"s into the existing XM harness, so there is no modification to the existing wiring required. I'm getting the AUX-1F (10' cable) but the 4' will probably work out, since it only needs to run from the XM receiver to the center console (not the center stack.) I'm comfortable shortening the cable as needed, so the extra length doesn't matter.

Basically, you install one end of the adapter cable into the existing XM harness, route the female (jack) end where you want to place the BTC 450, plug the BTC 450 into it, and locate the controller switch wherever you want. The rest is PFM.

I'll probably modify it by cutting off the jack and reterminating it on the front face of the console adjacent to the 12vdc power receptacle. It's prudent to install a switch to de-energize the (always hot) 12 vdc power receptacle to minimize the load on the battery if a mobile device is left under the console pad for an extended period. I'm not a big fan of wires cluttering up my interior, so I want to keep the install clean. I'm still exploring options as to where to locate the BTC 450 control switch where it's accessible, but that's a minor issue.

Similar to the Coastal lockpick installation. Do you have a webpage or something I could see it? Bluetooth makes all the difference.

Sounds good CC Every mod I put on my XLR I install with out changing the original look or do anything that if I want to remove or change in the future it doesn't change from the original look as was when new! Keep in touch I'm interested in seeing the install procedure. Thx Dan :cool:

I ordered the next gen BTC455 today and soon the interface from Ray. The 455 offers 4.0 Bluetooth and will pair to two devices.

Backup camera search continues......

Good news: The BTC 455 will pair with up to four devices. You can hold a phone to each ear, listen to music on an iPod and watch a back-up camera at the same time!

My BTC 455 arrived three days after placing the order with Kinivo and I effortlessly paired an iPad and iPod without any issues. The interface cable should arrive next week and I can complete the installation and pass on what I find. It's a sweet little device and allows you to control the Fwd/Back, Pause/Play from the little multi-function controller. With the ability to change the volume from the steering wheel and tweak the sound from the infotainment DSP, this ought to work out just fine for my needs.

Being auto-clutter-phobic, I haven't much of a use for back-up cameras unless they interface directly into the rear-view mirror or center stack monitor, but this site may help a little: Bluetooth Backup Camera Reviews | Backup Camera HQ | Reviews of Bluetooth Backup Cameras

I think you'll really like the BTC 455. It's offers a lot of bang for the buck. The only negative thing I can say about it is the cable from the multi-function controller is very thin and fragile, very similar to the silicon ear bud cables that Apple makes, so it may not take much abuse over time and needs to be routed so it stays protected. This is a very minor criticism. I'm very satisfied with the product thus far.

More to follow when something interesting develops,

Last edited:
Good news: The BTC 455 will pair with up to four devices. You can hold a phone to each ear, listen to music on an iPod and watch a back-up camera at the same time!

My BTC 455 arrived three days after placing the order with Kinivo and I effortlessly paired an iPad and iPod without any issues. The interface cable should arrive next week and I can complete the installation and pass on what I find. It's a sweet little device and allows you to control the Fwd/Back, Pause/Play from the little multi-function controller. With the ability to change the volume from the steering wheel and tweak the sound from the infotainment DSP, this ought to work out just fine for my needs.

Being auto-clutter-phobic, I haven't much of a use for back-up cameras unless they interface directly into the rear-view mirror or center stack monitor, but this site may help a little: Bluetooth Backup Camera Reviews | Backup Camera HQ | Reviews of Bluetooth Backup Cameras

I think you'll really like the BTC 455. It's offers a lot of bang for the buck. The only negative thing I can say about it is the cable from the multi-function controller is very thin and fragile, very similar to the silicon ear bud cables that Apple makes, so it may not take much abuse over time and needs to be routed so it stays protected. This is a very minor criticism. I'm very satisfied with the product thus far.

4 is better than 2 I suppose. I got 2 from the specs :dunno:. I doubt I'll ever have a need for 4 BT devices, but it is there if I need it.

I've read about the small cable and some have said it is not shielded and prone to interference. I plan on installing it and not moving it so a small cable can be a blessing in a way as long as you are gentle during installation. I am considering wrapping and putting my own drain wire where the cable is hidden if interference is an issue. Some have talked about ground loop issues too :dunno: I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Where are you mounting yours? I'm considering the A Pillar, below the ignition button or on the console near the front. I don't really need access to the buttons but need the mic in a good area.

Did you order a AUX-1F from Ray?

My phone is mounted to the right of the head unit and my goal is to display a BT camera on it. I have a working WiFi camera, but can't tolerate the loss of internet when configured to use it and having to manually change settings back and forth. That is why I'm looking for BT.

Last edited:

I checked out the website you provided a link for. Not a single Blue tooth camera there. They need to learn the difference between WiFi and Bluetooth.:( The search continues.

My bad. Horrible link. Maybe this is closer to what you seek: Backup Camera | 7" Bluetooth Mirror Wireless License Plate

As for wiring up the BTC 455, I won't decide on a mounting scheme until I have the whole system connected and tested to ensure it's noise-free.

I've seen that one too. Not a bluetooth camera either. It's a wireless camera that appears on a dedicated monitor that offers additional BT phone capabilities. I'm not wanting an additional monitor.

Bluetooth is working! The cable arrived today and the basic install took less than half an hour. No bad language was required either. It isn't in the final configuration yet, but I took a few pictures for the install procedure during the disassembly of the console storage area. I'll drive around for a few days and test it out before I wrap it up and post the results. No ignition noise while I tested it in the garage, but I'll check that out while drive-testing the system.

So far, so good.

XM gives me a personal phone call

I got a call from yours truly today. The rep quickly tried twice to talk about reconnection me. Weak, soI gave in.:chuckle Five months for $24.49.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom