Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

My Bluetooth and Smartphone Solution

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
I give up on getting the CD changer repaired. 4-500$ to repair the changer? Don't think so. I had a bluetooth adapter for the 2004 TBird we had so started checking around for a newer version/model. I wanted not only bluetooth connection for playing music from my phone, but also to be able to call and answer my phone as well. Like most, I check Amazon first for my purchases. I found this one that seemed to suit my purposes.
Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X5 Bluetooth FM Transmitter Car Kit with Hands-Free Calling , Music Playback , USB Charging and Multiple Mounting Options - Works with Apple , Samsung , ASUS and More!: Car Electronics

It sets in a charging cradle that also has a USB port. Once charged I can put the little transmitter on my sun visor for easier access. It has easy to reach buttons to answer/end calls on my phone, and buttons to skip songs that are big enough for my fat fingers. Once I found a totally unused FM channel on the fm band of the radio, it was easy sailing. Once paired, the phone doesn't need pairing again, and it will resume playing where you left off when you get out of the car. So far it's done just what I wanted and for a fairly reasonable price.

The big drawback from this method is the audio quality can never be better than that of FM. A true bluetooth interface will sound a lot better. If your happy with the quality then go for it.

Looks like a good deal to me. I have a similar unit that works great for cell phone which is my only requirement. Sure beats tearing into the dash just to have hands free phone.:thumbsup

Last edited:
I'm guessing this only works with the XLRs with Bluetooth my 05 does not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I'm guessing this only works with the XLRs with Bluetooth my 05 does not?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

This is about a bluetooth interface that re-transmits on FM that is received on the existing system like an FM station.

Cool need to check that out the XM sucks sometimes too I like choices! Thanks Fred

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Along with playing my own mp3's through my smartphone, I have Tunein Radio app on it. Lots more different kinds of music to choose from; I have a couple of Cajun music stations, more 50/60/70 music than I can listen to all for free. And all 2 channel stereo through the XLR system. I may not renew my XM subscription ;)

The GoGroove has A2DP as well, and if you talk about Turn By Turn, it will do it as well, using Google Maps. So it seems I have the same features and I didn't tear into the dash either.
GOgroove.com: FlexSMART X5 See bottom of page.
Maybe, but it still has the audio quality of FM radio. Decades old technology, and sounds like it. If your happy with muddled sound or can't tell the difference then it is a fit. I much prefer a higher quality sound and choose not to take the cheap and easy poor performing way out. Especially in a top notch car like this. Again, I did not tear into the dash for installation. It was a quick and simple install.

I wonder how the song advance/skip/rewind or pause works without touching the phone?

Last edited:
I like the looks of this. AND NOT HAVING TO TEAR INTO THE DASH or run a bunch of wires.:D
Not sure how many times it needs repeated. You DO NOT need to "tear into the dash" to get full Bluetooth capabilities.

Whatever. Sound like a real audiophile to me. You probably still play LP records on your Bang and Olafson turntable. The signal the GoFlex puts out to the FM radio in the X is probably better quality than that of a receiving a "real" FM station on the X's radio. And the forward/skip/pause buttons work very well thank you with music muting if you receive a phone call.
But this horse is beat to death.

Whatever. Sound like a real audiophile to me. You probably still play LP records on your Bang and Olafson turntable. The signal the GoFlex puts out to the FM radio in the X is probably better quality than that of a receiving a "real" FM station on the X's radio. And the forward/skip/pause buttons work very well thank you with music muting if you receive a phone call.
But this horse is beat to death.

FM can only get so good, there is no probably about it. It is a matter of technical capabilities, believe what you want. Maybe because I know how to spell Bang and Olufsen I may be more in tune with quality audio, but I strongly doubt I am the only one that can notice the difference between FM, XM and CD quality. You obviously are not one of them or simply don't care about quality. The topic has been discussed before on this forum.

FM can only get so good, there is no probably about it. It is a matter of technical capabilities, believe what you want. Maybe because I know how to spell Bang and Olufsen I may be more in tune with quality audio, but I strongly doubt I am the only one that can notice the difference between FM, XM and CD quality. You obviously are not one of them or simply don't care about quality. The topic has been discussed before on this forum.

See, I knew you would pick up on the spelling

And why people should not believe everything people write here.

I agree Fred! The XM satellite has better quality sound! But do you loose the single sometimes or does that not effect it, like tunnels, bridges, in town buildings? And please list here or pm what all I need to install this system with better quality sound! Thx Dan

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry