Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Nav Disc

For what it's worth, my 2004 (and I expect all years as well) can work with a Toyota/Lexus gen 2-3 nav disk. This will give you updated maps, but voice recognition and response will not work. Unlike Cadillac, Toyota continues to provide new updates each year for their older cars. The current version is 10.1.

Also, I've found that Memorex dvd+r dl disks generally work, although I do see "no disk" errors when the car has been out in 95 degree weather for a while.

If I expect a need to use the nav, I'll bring my under-$200 TomTom which has lifetime traffic and lifetime free maps which are updated 4 times a year...

V Happy

I bought my 06 v in 09. I found out about the two free nav disc updates and called GM to update mine in 09. They told me that I had never received an update but they discontinued the program and would not give me a free one but would sell me one for 200. This month I read about the 06 and 07 nav disc one update in this forum, so I thought I would call GM again. They emailed me that they were going to honor the one update but the disc is on back order. I will let you know if I ever receive it from GM. The car has been great and I enjoy it every chance I get. You have a nice forum and thanks for the information be I get the disc or not.
Robert M.:patriot:

Nav disc

Intersting reading about the various responses received on the nav discs
I just bought a 2008 XLR in Florida and found when I got it home to Charleston, SC that the included disc was for the western section only. Called the dealer, they sent a version 7 disc. The detail on the screen was not much better that the previous disc. I had been told that complimentiary upgrades were no longer available so I ordered veresion 8 discs on line for $200+. Received the discs today (east and west), installed east and see NO IMPROVEMENT in detail. Haven't driven it yet but the POI function does not work!! It simply goes round and round with the menu!!?? I called the dealership where I bought the car (unfortuanately 500+ miles away) spent over an hour on the cell phone with the service manager and got NOWHERE!
Further, the Voice recognition is absurd. The responses (when it responds at all) have no bearing on my request. What is happening (or NOT happening ) here? Help

V Happy

I finally received my disc from Gm. Back ordered for quite some time. It works but as we all know it is outdated!!!
Nav system sucks. I guess I can live with that because I like most everything else about the car.
Have a nice day
V Happy

Nav

Agree -- Lousy nav system. I can't get ANY POI's to show by using the screen controls. I was able to get some using the AWFUL voice recognization system. I asked for gas staions and got NOTH UP! I asked for day mode and got hospitals. I finally said "You are an idiot" !!
Answer -I do not recognize that command!!
Is there any hope for improvement?
You obviously are on this forum, but there is another which accused me of being a spammer and denied access??????

I received my Nav disc yesterday. This morning pulling into work noticed it shows me on a street that is at least 1/2 mile away and on the opposite side of the freeway. I guess I'll have to play with the settings this evening.

BTW, I love this car. I've only had it about 1 1/2 weeks but I am really enjoying driving it. I love watching the Head Up run to 100 on the freeway on-ramp.

Steve

Unfortunately the Nav system we have was never updated during the entire short run of the XLR's. The disc updates never enhanced anything but POI information. As far as I've seen from updates, no street, freeway etc updates were ever updated. And yes the voice commands are very limited and quite quirky. I always have my iphone with me and/or my wife has her ipad, if we need detailed directions we always use that first rather than the XLR Nav. If you have the address of where you are going and enter it beforehand its seems to work pretty well. It may hiccup, but I've found it depends on how your settings are entered in the system.

If you don't have a phone with navigation, a Tom-Tom or Garmin is the best solution. You can also use mapquest or google map before you leave for your destination--print it out and take it with you.

Besides the Nav system, I love the rest of the car!! And it is always a pleasure to drive--even if you're lost! :lol::lol:

I finally received my disc from Gm. Back ordered for quite some time. It works but as we all know it is outdated!!!
Nav system sucks. I guess I can live with that because I like most everything else about the car.
Have a nice day
V Happy

Agree -- Lousy nav system. I can't get ANY POI's to show by using the screen controls. I was able to get some using the AWFUL voice recognization system. I asked for gas staions and got NOTH UP! I asked for day mode and got hospitals. I finally said "You are an idiot" !!
Answer -I do not recognize that command!!
Is there any hope for improvement?
You obviously are on this forum, but there is another which accused me of being a spammer and denied access??????

I received my Nav disc yesterday. This morning pulling into work noticed it shows me on a street that is at least 1/2 mile away and on the opposite side of the freeway. I guess I'll have to play with the settings this evening.

BTW, I love this car. I've only had it about 1 1/2 weeks but I am really enjoying driving it. I love watching the Head Up run to 100 on the freeway on-ramp.

Steve

And it is always a pleasure to drive--even if you're lost! :lol::lol:

Actually, I rather enjoy getting lost in the XLR... gives me more time behind the wheel!!! :blinzel::blinzel:
Plus, more people get to see it... and, if I have to stop and ask for directions, it usually takes awhile explaining what the car is, which is something I never get tired of doing. :wave::wave:

I like my Garmin!

I recently updated :D my GPS Garmin with the bigger screen , bluetooth, lifetime updates(4 times a year) they email me when a new update is ready. So as far as I'm concerned that is all you need. Please watch if your buying a new GPS that when it says it has lifetime updates it is also updates the maps, and not just the lifetime traffic updates, It will say lifetime maps on it! I also found sometimes the GPS on the iphone does well too and you can even load a Garmin or other GPS apps too! :rocker: Caddy Man Dan

I just ordered Version 8 (2009) on ebay. Does anyone know if there will be further updates from GM/Denso/Helms?

Bruce

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for these? Apparently they are getting nearly impossible to get. My discs are in perfect condition. My son-in-law works in the computer industry and has the equipment and knowledge to copy these properly. Since GM is not producing and supporting our units ...as well as the fact we are copying something that is 5 years out of date; I don't think it will get anyone in trouble.

I DO NOT intend to sell them but what I would like to do is ask anyone that wants a set to make a donation to the XLR Brick Fund: I just don't know how much to ask them to donate and knowing what you paid for a licensed set would help! Thanks.

I paid $100 on ebay. Disk was fine but not worth money for my 05. "bo
ughtthexlr" responded in July that the Toyota/Lexus dvd would work without voice commands. Who cares about that. I looked on line and the latest from Toyota is $169. (PT219-HDDG6-11 p/n 86271-73012-464210-1741 ver. 10.1) It supposedly is compatable with Denso based on picture on ebay. Has any one tried the Toyota dvd? How does it work?

XLR BRICK INFORMATION

HERE'S THE ADDRESS AND INFORMATION FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT WISH TO SEND A TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION:
NOTICE: PLEASE NOTE WITH YOUR PAYMENT IT IS FOR THE XLR BRICK!

YOU CAN CALL THE PHONE NUMBER BELOW AND PUT A DONATION ON A CREDIT CARD ALSO!
Brick Payment Address where to send money donations to:
Megan's contact information:

Megan Meredith
Corvette Blvd Brick Program
350 Corvette Drive
Bowling Green, KY 42101
270.781.7973 ext 136

Checks Payable to: National Corvette Museum

Thank you to all who have already given toward the brick! :worship:

My discs are in perfect condition. My son-in-law works in the computer industry and has the equipment and knowledge to copy these properly.
I copied mine in my plain laptop dvd drive on a regular dvd+r disc and it works great in my '06 XLR. I stored my original in it's case in my fireproof safe.

Now, THAT'S interesting. I was under the impression that it took a dual-layer disk, just to hold all the data. Have you checked out such things as the voice recognition?

Assuming that VR works as advertised, what software did you use for the "copy"? How old is your map? My nav' disk is from '06, or something, and doesn't have a lot of streets/roads on it. I was toying w/ the idea of trying to update the maps via that GM site mentioned a few months ago.

Please expand on how you did this, OK?

Thanks.

Tim

I copied mine in my plain laptop dvd drive on a regular dvd+r disc and it works great in my '06 XLR. I stored my original in it's case in my fireproof safe.

You are spot on that it is a dual layer dvd, but pretty much any dvd burner or laptop made in the past five years is going to have one of those.

Here are some posts I made back when I first got the XLR and copied the disc:
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/36339-post2.html
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/36357-post6.html

I used Memorex DVD+R Dual Layer discs and I burned it on a slow setting using ImgBurn (The Official ImgBurn Website) which is free. Other popular programs like Nero should work too.

Voice Control still worked up until a couple weeks ago when I unhooked the OnStar and plugged in a CoStar BlueStar device so I could make hands free calls. That broke my voice control but the navigation still works great. I guess OnStar handles the voice stuff.

My DVD says version 4.0, so I assume it is from when the car was new. I've never actually routed anywhere with it to know if it's missing a lot of streets! I've used my Android phone for years for navigation.

Most of the upgrades to the Nav Discs have been for POI's not much on any street updates. You're better off with a Garmin or using your cell phone with navigation. The other option is the Toyota discs, if you don't care about the voice commands, etc.

I hope I'm not repeating myself, but "boughttheXLR" indicated the toyota denso disc will work with our XLR's. He/she indicated that we have the Gen 2/3 system and that it comes with yearly updates. The discs are available on ebay, etc. and ver. 11.1 is the latest. I have an 05 XLR and would like to try the Toyota disc, even with limitations. The latest GM disc are, of course, a waste.

Does anyone else have experience with using the Toyota discs for Gen 2/

...well if you get them RBW...then someone here will have experience with them :laugh:

Actually we should all check with our 'friends' who own Toyota's (I don't have any friends with Toyota's!) to see if they have the Nav system and borrow their discs to make sure they work, if so then we can all buy them! I sure wouldn't mind the maps to be up-to-date!

Sorry if I suggested an idea that didn't make sense to you but nav systems can be installed by many manufacturers. Maybe a Toyota system will work with a Caddy system and the discs will work with both.

Bruce

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back