Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Need pictures to see what I am missing

BeardBros

Seasoned Member
I was wondering if I could get some help on finding out what I am missing on my interior and also fixing a wiring issue.

Here is a pic of my interior just behind the drivers seat. It is open to the trunk, Am I missing something or are they all like that?

IMG_ty4834.jpg

Next problem I have is someone made a jumper wire going from the roof top position sensor up behind the passenger side over to a connector up on the drivers side. The wires are just slipped into the pins with no locking connectors on the end, just held in with electrical tape. I have a new roof control module and the trunk will go up and down but the top will not do anything. I think the "made up" wire jumper might be wired to the wrong pins and is causing an issue. Can someone take a picture of the connection at the position sensor and another at the other end drivers side? Then I can see which color wires go where and can verify if my wiring is correct.

The jumper wire goes in between these two connectors and may be tucked up under the deck lid. I need to find out how the wiring color matchup goes.

If you cannot post pictures then a written diagram would be great, like this example:

sensor end orange -tan jumper wire - orange drivers side wire
sensor end blue - black jumper wire - tan drivers side wire
sensor end tan - orange jumper wire - blue drivers side wire

Here is the passenger side connector at the sensor

View attachment 7216

Here is the drivers side at the other connection.

IMG_48d42.jpg

Last edited:
The first picture looks like the vinyl cover was not installed correctly to cover the gap. It should look similar to the passenger side. There's a clip on the bottom that is a PITA to install if it comes loose. I suspect that is the problem.

There is only one position sensor for the top - located on the driver's side behind the seat in the C pillar. The other two position sensors report the position of the Front & Rear Tonneaus.

Pin A (Tan) tied to Pin C on the Front Tonneau Position Sensor
Pin B (Orange) goes to the Folding Top Control Module connector J2-D1 (Top Position signal)
Pin C (Grey) tied to the 5V reference voltage that feeds all three position sensors, (and the hydraulic pump motor) originating from the Folding Top Control Module connector J2-C13

Located beneath the headliner is the Header Unlatch Switch, which reports the status of whether or not the leading edge of the roof is clamped to the top windshield/header. Without a detailed point-to-point connection description from you between both connectors, (the pictures aren't adequate for this) I am not able to tell you what the previous owner jury-rigged.

Note in the sample sensor picture, the wires are Blue-Tan-Orange; there may be different revisions through the years for this part, since Grey is called out in the wiring diagrams.

Looking at the (sensor side) connector face with the clips oriented upwards, the pinouts are from L-R: A-B-C. The P/N is 19210515 (Called a switch, but it's a sensor.)

CC :wave:

Position Sensor Connector Face.jpgPosition Sensor.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info ccclark. Can you tell me what other detailed pictures I can give you for my wiring issue. My first picture is looking into the trunk at the upper right side, the next pic is a zoom in on the passenger side roof sensor and the wire coming off it. The next picture shows the left side of the trunk and the wire that goes into the upper left area and then into the main wiring harness. Of course these are the two I need to wire together correctly. Please advise.

Here are pictures of the connectors and the wires with the connector tab on top as in your picture. This shows the drivers side on the left and the passnger side connector to the sensor on the right.

View attachment 7220

Here you can see the sensor as you look up into the upper right area of the trunk. I circled it in red.

View attachment 7222

Last edited:
As I mentioned previously, without a point-to-point connection description, (you need to locate all terminations and ring them out with a multi-meter) I'd only be guessing as to what was previously done, and that won't do you much good. You want answers, not guesses.

A Tech 2 would be very handy to examine what is being reported to the Folding Top Control module on the bus.

Also, it would be helpful if you update your onscreen profile to list the year of your XLR for future reference when the good members here reply to a post.

I've enclosed a sensor wiring diagram with the hope it will make your troubleshooting easier.

CC :wave:

Sensor Schematic.jpg

Last edited:
I finally figured out what happened. Some previous owner had issues with the top not working so he decided to move the sensor from the drivers side to the passenger side and that is why there was a homemade jumper wire where there was not supposed to be one. They moved this sensor because the hinge pin that the sensor goes into on the drivers side is rotating and it is not supposed to. That is throwing the sensor counts off. I just need to weld that hinge pin in the correct spot and my top should function again.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom