Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Deadheadcaddy

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Raven Black XLR premium
I don't recall how I became fascinated by this car, but I was sunk from the getgo.
About 2 months ago I found a car that was Raven Black that originally was Mary K pink! After declining that one, test driving another, and chasing three more, I found a 12800 mile black beauty 1800 miles away being sold by Cadillac of Las Vegas West. I hired an on line inspection company ( Inspectmyride.com) that was recommended by a friend who collects Masaratis and Ferarris. They rated the car 98/100 and the rest is history. Car is in a container, traveling in a vehicle with a spare tire, and should arrive Saturday.
I found an aftermarket device to turn the OnStar into a Bluetooth (Bluestar) and I'm contemplating possibly putting in a turbocharger. However the quest for an additional 100 hp is offset by wanting to keep this beauty original. Decisions, decisions.
Meanwhile, this Forum has been really helpful, and I'm glad I have the opportunity to own a car.
PS: it's got to be the most comfortable seat ever put in a car
DeadheadCaddy

CONGRATS ON YOUR PURCHASE!!!! Seems your long search finally paid off... don't forget to post pics after it arrives!!!

Fantastic, I am sure you and your Beauty will be happy together for a long time. Jim:rocker:

Welcome aboard! It's good to hear that you found the car of your dreams...ENJOY!

:blinzel: Welcome from S. central Pa to greatest XLR Forum on the internet!! You got questions we got answers

Dan & Wendy :wave:

Big welcome! I was told when I joined this was the best forum around -- & it's true.

Try to make one of the group trips/drives/etc. It's an incredible experience to be part of a dozen plus "what the heck did I just see go by" driving around, plus meeting other folks from the forum. :cool:

ps -- agree on the seats, they're like anti-gravity chairs. Wish they had them in the CTS-V (that also didn't have Recaros) that I test drove!

I don't recall how I became fascinated by this car, but I was sunk from the getgo.

I'm contemplating possibly putting in a turbocharger. However the quest for an additional 100 hp is offset by wanting to keep this beauty original. Decisions, decisions.

DeadheadCaddy

Welcome aboard!

Many of us here were the same way, under the spell of the XLR from the first time we saw one. For me, the attraction is just as strong today as it ever was!

For me personally, I think the car is just about perfect as is. If I had wanted mega-horsepower, I would have bought a Z06. But some here have made serious modifications to their cars with interesting results. I find that the stock car is a fine performer and very well-balanced, but I rarely push it hard. There is just so much to enjoy about the car that makes it a pleasure to drive every time it leaves the garage.

Be sure to read the Owner's manual cover-to-cover. In fact, you can access it right here on this site and read it before your new purchase arrives.

And like others have said, lots of good info and advice here.

Post pictures after you get it!

Thanks for the tip about the manual but I had already read it!
What is the story with the batteries? Do people have trouble because they dont use the car for prolonged periods ( and dont disconnect or trickle charge), or is here a fundamental problem with this?

About 2 months ago I found a car that was Raven Black that originally was Mary K pink! After declining that one, test driving another, and chasing three more, I found a 12800 mile black beauty 1800 miles away being sold by Cadillac of Las Vegas West. I hired an on line inspection company ( Inspectmyride.com) that was recommended by a friend who collects Masaratis and Ferarris. They rated the car 98/100 and the rest is history. Car is in a container, traveling in a vehicle with a spare tire, and should arrive Saturday.
I found an aftermarket device to turn the OnStar into a Bluetooth (Bluestar) and I'm contemplating possibly putting in a turbocharger. However the quest for an additional 100 hp is offset by wanting to keep this beauty original. Decisions, decisions.
Meanwhile, this Forum has been really helpful, and I'm glad I have the opportunity to own a car.
PS: it's got to be the most comfortable seat ever put in a car
DeadheadCaddy

Welcome Deadheadcaddy:
glad you are enjoying your ride as much as i am. I'm a new owner of the XLR that i nicknamed topless baby. It's a 2006 with just around 21060 miles. I took possession when she had 20758 miles. this baby is a gem she just got washed and waxed. View attachment 2346

Battery questions

What is the story with the batteries? Do people have trouble because they dont use the car for prolonged periods ( and dont disconnect or trickle charge), or is here a fundamental problem with this?

First of all, you DON'T want to disconnect the battery if you don't have to! Doing this will require you to "re-index" your windows and other things.

I believe that the reason some have problems with their batteries because the XLR has a significant parasitic drain. If the car isn't driven regularly, it will discharge the battery. A good trickle charger would eliminate this issue.

After I bought my car, I installed an Odyssey battery, which I have found to be a superior battery to others. If my car is not driven at least once per week, I connect the Odyssey Ultimizer and bring the battery back to 100% charge. Just sitting for a week can bring the charge down significantly!

MVC-005F-1.jpg

a

Parasitic Drain

FWIW, I had a tech once tell me that the mirror selection switch draws power, when not in the neutral position. I don't have access to the wiring diagrams, so I can't confirm it, but I've heard that rumor before about GM vehicles. All I know is that I can leave my XLR for over 3 weeks, and it starts right up. I'm religious about leaving that mirror switch in the middle position. I don't have a high quality battery, either. :dunno:

Hope it works for you.

Tim

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry