Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: New Shocks Manufacturer

Sli1

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Silver XLR
2008 XLR standard, 62,000 miles, Dallas TX

I can hardly believe I have had my X for 7 years. Where did the time go? One front shock was dripping oil, so I decided to replace both front shocks. I had Firestone order and install because their markup was lower than the dealer. (Still high, $1430 for parts.) On the way home I got the "Service Ride Control", "Maximum Speed 100 MPH" warning. I went back to Firestone. They said the message was there when I brought in the car. (No it was not.) They were about to close so I agreed to come back in the morning for trouble shooting. When I got home I jacked up the car and looked at the underside. Surprise, no GM shocks, no GM part number. The new shocks were BWI Group with 2 part numbers, 25839470 and 15177101. Now I was suspicious that Firestone put a cheap substitute on the car. I was pretty mad by this morning when I took off from work and went to Firestone. I decided to be polite, at least until I nailed them for putting the wrong shock on the X.

Long story short, GM just started using BWI Group to make XLR shocks. The box still showed the old GM parts number, 19302772, but the shock itself had no GM numbers. The "Service Ride" message was due a loose connector at the top of one of the shocks. I am glad I was polite.

Most likely a different part number as well. I know shocks for my V model are different part number.

Funny, shocks for '06 are 100 higher on that website

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back