Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Tires

Floyd,

I did it more for cosmetic reasons--when I got thr car the rotors were rusty in spots; the front felt as if they may have been warped and I was getting squeaking. The fronts now have ceramic pads and everything look shiny and new. Obviously the first owner didn't take care of Scarlett-V like I will. :chuckle:chuckle

Just curious, why does it seem most everyone replaces the rotors when replacing brakes? I've never had to replace them on any of my five Vettes or any other car. :squint:

Floyd (BB)

I feel the need to let everyone know that 275's are too big for the rear and hit the inner liner and tear it up. Just Tires had no problem with putting the new 255's and taking the 275's off and agreed to pay for new inner liners from Cadillac until they found out how much they would cost for them. $330 for the inner liners and $649 to put them on. It takes four smaps and two screws for each inner liner. All they have to do is take the wheel off and unsnap & unscrew each side and put the new ones on. It's such a rip off that Just Tires manager offered to put them on for free and will buy the inner liners for me. Nice Reworking of GM, Cadillac. Still getting ripped off.:pat: Buy American?:patriot: Yes, go to Ford, they never stop running and don't cost an arm and leg to fix.
Just keep in mind that Michelin is the only good tire company that makes a 20" run flat. 275's will fit the rear, but think you need to stay with 255 or less up front. I get more compliments on the wheels then the car gets noticed.:rocker:

As of 6:04pm 06-01-09 we are still able to choose things we all like to do or not do to our cars. I prefer to add my special touch to mine, so I don't see myself coming and going. Now this could change at any given moment and we will be riding in golf carts.
I helped my daughter buy her first Mustang after owning GM cars including her first which was a average second hand Camero, then a new SS Camero, then a CTS.
All kinds of trouble with GM but her 07 Mustang has never been in to fix anything, so the bailing wire is still on the shelf, and she loves it.
mswaim might take issue with the comment about bailing wire. Me? I don't really care one way or the other if you don't like Ford.
I don't remember them taking any stimulas packages, Good choice of the word, "bailing" :wave:.................... try bailing out for GM.
Can Fords still be fixed with bailing wire? That is what they did when I was a kid. As for me I will stay with Cadillac. When I need new tires I will put on the same that came from the factory. Never have seen a need to modify any vehicles I purchase.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

I just purchased a new 08 XLR in Prescott,AZ and drove it home to Minneapolis area. I was not a fan of runflat tires and although the handling was great thru the heavy rains and crossing the Rockies the ride is very harsh to my taste. I want to replace them with non-runflats. Does anyone have any recommendations / experience in this area? Monepit, what did you choose for replacements and how do you like them?
foutswb

I just purchased a new 08 XLR in Prescott,AZ and drove it home to Minneapolis area. I was not a fan of runflat tires and although the handling was great thru the heavy rains and crossing the Rockies the ride is very harsh to my taste. I want to replace them with non-runflats. Does anyone have any recommendations / experience in this area? Monepit, what did you choose for replacements and how do you like them?
foutswb
My personal opinion is I love the run flats. They have already saved us twice.

foutswb

Stay with the runflats. If you should have a tire issue and you don't have runflats, you are screwed.

Check the air pressure in your tires, they should be @ 30 psi.

I chose bf goodrich kdws. $400 for the set on tire rack and $80 to install. The ride is great and they are quiet. As Bruce said if I have a flat on a trip I am screwed but I went this route because the place I get my tires from told me nobody keeps runflats in stock and you cant patch them, I've heard both ways on the patching, but I always keep good tires in my cars and in 30 years I've never had a flat. I hope I didn't jinx myself, so I figure even if I do I can buy an 18 inch tire and have AAA install it. At a lot less than a set of run flats.

I picked up a nail while I was at RIII, right front, had it plugged and it's still holding air. :)

Floyd (BB)

I feel the need to let everyone know that 275's are too big for the rear and hit the inner liner and tear it up. Just Tires had no problem with putting the new 255's and taking the 275's off and agreed to pay for new inner liners from Cadillac until they found out how much they would cost for them. $330 for the inner liners and $649 to put them on. It takes four smaps and two screws for each inner liner. All they have to do is take the wheel off and unsnap & unscrew each side and put the new ones on. It's such a rip off that Just Tires manager offered to put them on for free and will buy the inner liners for me. Nice Reworking of GM, Cadillac. Still getting ripped off.:pat: Buy American?:patriot: Yes, go to Ford, they never stop running and don't cost an arm and leg to fix.

I have 285's on the rear of mine... you can see pics in the other thread... I think your issue isn't tire width but wheel offset. maybe a small spacer can fix your contact issue?

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3568

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back