Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

ORIGINAL BATTERY

xlrator

My XLR/V(s)
05 Red/Blue Metallic
After an 8 years of service, finally replaced battery. It showed it was fully charged and was in the "store" mode on the battery tender, but had zero crank amps. After driving an hour I stopped at a store, and the car wouldn't restart. Thats when I learned that a battery tender won't tend to a bad battery. Was thankful to the folks at Advance Auto who put my electronics on life support while they changed the battery. Didn't lose any memory! No nightmares, so far all is well again.

That's great! Glad that you were not stranded. Also that is a feat being able to use a battery for (8) years! :dance:

Roxy would not start at a car show 3 weeks ago. Cleaned terminals seems ok but still gonna get the battery checked!
A gold battery Die Hard best they have is $144.00 Installed! It is a better than the battery they suggest for an XLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

That's great! Glad that you were not stranded. Also that is a feat being able to use a battery for (8) years! :dance:

Next year will be 6 for my battery... and it's a Walmart special, cost my $55.00 in 2008, only place I could find that had one listed for an XLR that they actually had in stock. Hasn't let me down yet, knock on wood...

Wow, 8 years on a battery. You don't hear that very often.

Speaking of battery's. I had been reading a consumer report on which brand of battery was the best out there. I forgot the order but Costco battery's were in the top five along with sears die hard. I had always gotten my battery through our supplier at work and come to find on the consumer list that interstate was almost dead last. I've had interstates in my cars for years never had a problem was real surprised on the ranking.
I purchased my car in dec. of 2011 it's a 04 which it also has the original battery. After reading all the problems with the battery's on these cars it made me concerned about the battery. I had a battery tender and have it hooked up whenever I'm not using the car. I am also very surprised on the age of the battery and no problems. I think I've got my monies worth out of it gonna replace it this winter.

Eight years - that's great!

A couple years ago the OE Motorcraft battery in my eight year old truck was still going strong; however, I was holding my breath every time I went to start it. Anyhow, I finally got nervous enough to replace it. About six months later, the replacement (Interstate Brand) went south and I had to get a jump. :dunno: You can never tell what's going to happen

Well Roxy got herself a new Die Hard battery from Sears yesterday went out Thursday morning and she cranked over very slowly, went into work and restarted her about 4pm still cranked slow, so headed right out to Sears! We was out and check it out last Saturday evening they said it show 90% Good, She's good to go now!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Roxy would not start at a car show 3 weeks ago. Cleaned terminals seems ok but still gonna get the battery checked!
A gold battery Die Hard best they have is $144.00 Installed! It is a better than the battery they suggest for an XLR.

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

I just replaced mine. i should've had my sister drive my xlr more then 2x a month. Lesson learned and now out around $200 installed at the dealer.:mad: :willy_nilly::bash: :pat::bawling:But atleast i'm able to get a little more topless driving before the rain comes in next week and temps drop to mid 60's -upper 70's here in north florida. :cool::xmas:

Roxy got a new Gold Die Hard Battery from Sears last Friday too!
Sloooow Cranking so out it went, in with a new one! 164.00 installed!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Since we are lucky enough to not have to put ours to bed for the winter, once it got cold we switched to running one every other weekend (the way our garage is set up only one is accessible at a time & the other is blocked in, it's a pain to move them around). They both have the same battery (Optima), the V has a newer battery, & neither has any electrical add-ons. Interestingly, the base did fine with this, while the V wouldn't start when it was its turn. We're assuming with the baffles (which activate every time you open the door) & other things on the V, it just puts more drain on the battery just sitting there. Be interesting if anyone out there has verified that. Anyway, the V now has a tender (probably switch it to the base as needed).

Since we are lucky enough to not have to put ours to bed for the winter, once it got cold we switched to running one every other weekend (the way our garage is set up only one is accessible at a time & the other is blocked in, it's a pain to move them around). They both have the same battery (Optima), the V has a newer battery, & neither has any electrical add-ons. Interestingly, the base did fine with this, while the V wouldn't start when it was its turn. We're assuming with the baffles (which activate every time you open the door) & other things on the V, it just puts more drain on the battery just sitting there. Be interesting if anyone out there has verified that. Anyway, the V now has a tender (probably switch it to the base as needed).

I could be totally wrong but I thought the exhaust baffles were vacuum controlled? And why would the baffles open when the door is open?

I could be totally wrong but I thought the exhaust baffles were vacuum controlled? And why would the baffles open when the door is open?

I am sure the baffles are vacuum controlled, but there is also an electrical connection somehow. I only say this because you can remove a fuse that will keep them open as I understand it. Never actually done that. I do know that the baffles will operate at odd times. I have been out in the garage near mine and you will occasionally hear them (opening/closing). I can't say if I was opening anything or not, just that I hear them sometimes.

And why would the baffles open when the door is open?

Your guess is as good as mine. All I know is open the door & you'll hear the baffles operate. Shut it & wait 10-20 mins, they'll operate again. Seem there's just more stuff always "on" on the V.

I've learned my lesson here. My next purchase soon will be a tender.

I just bought one online from Sears.com it was on sale for $17.99 I been using it the last few days works great! I was buying gift and saw it, has 3 led lights for backwards hook up alert, charging & charged. Fully automatic 6/12 volts come with alligator clips. Direct battery terminal ends & plug into a cigarette lighter. Has a quick connect to any of these charing options! I'll see if I can find a item # and post it on here for those interested!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Thanks

I just bought one online from Sears.com it was on sale for $17.99 I been using it the last few days works great! I was buying gift and saw it, has 3 led lights for backwards hook up alert, charging & charged. Fully automatic 6/12 volts come with alligator clips. Direct battery terminal ends & plug into a cigarette lighter. Has a quick connect to any of these charging options! I'll see if I can find a item # and post it on here for those interested!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

:) JUST CHECKED IT'S NOW $22.49 I BOUGHT IT ON A BLACK FRIDAY SALE, AND HAD ENOUGH SALES FOR FREE SHIPPING! BUT HERE'S THE LINK IF ANYONES STILL INTERESTED: http://www.sears.com/diehard-batter...02871219000P?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

HERE'S THE INFORMATION FRON THE EMAIL

Item#
Description: DieHard Battery
Charger/Maintainer

Sold by: Sears

Return Policy

00-global-trans.png

<tbody>

</tbody>
Reg.
<strike>$29.99</strike>

Sale
$19.99

<tbody>

</tbody>

1.00Extra 10% off on Automotive Accessories Sold by Sears!
Valid thru 12/04 7 am CT

<tbody>

</tbody>

ITEM TOTALSAMOUNT

<tbody>

</tbody>

Subtotal:$19.99

<tbody>

</tbody>

<tbody>

</tbody>

Other